What's up guys? I actually crawled out of GG&A for a bit!

Basically, I've had a guy offer to trade me a GTX Les Paul copy made by Ovation for my Vypyr. I thought it might be a decent ax to throw some hot pups in and use as my drop tuning stuff. Just really as more of something to dick around with.

So, has anybody ever messed with one of these? I'm thinking it should be on level with an Agile or Epiphone from a little research, but I can't find much on them. Or are they cheap cheap crap? I know it's not going to rival my Gibsons or anything. Any info is appreciated.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
i saw one of these in a music shop some years ago from what i remember it was similar in quality to an epiphone
didnt blow me away but it wasnt crap i dont rmeember the price but for a decent price i would have gotten one

i had one some time ago to mod for a freind it was a gtx but more super strat than lp
can you post some pics of it? where was it made?

a lot of the ovation electric guitars were very nice but they didn't gain much popularity due to a sorta hefty price tag at the time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Working on the pics. What little I can find on them suggests it was made in Korea. I've found out they made some cheap bolt neck ones and some decent set neck models.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

yeah i remember the oddly shaped set neck guitars being very nice back in the 80s. not sure about any after that though.

Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

got me on that one. doesn't look bad though.

i can post the pics over at mlp in the other LP section and see what jacco and the rest of the savants have to say about it.

the three screw trc is a hint it's mic, but a couple plants in japan did that too. (greco)

if you can get cavity shots it would help nail down a plant, or at least eliminate some plants. under the neck pup, in the back cavity, those key shots.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 19, 2014,
The GTX were mostly made in Korea, I believe, and was one of the Kaman family of musical instruments (which included Ovation). Most were imported in the 90's, I think. They're not going to rival current Koreans like Agile, but they were a decent effort for the time.
MIJ Greco les paul copies had 2 screws. I used to own one and it was great.
Last edited by royc at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by royc
MIJ Greco les paul copies had 2 screws. I used to own one and it was great.

i was thinking of burny.

but they did show up on the hollowbody grecos, i knew i'd seen it on them.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 19, 2014,
I told the guy I would trade him if it was sound. For what I have in the amp, it's worth having a guitar to mod and play around with. First thing is I'm definitely ditching the goofy pickguard for a black 5 ply. Some aftermarket pups and thicker strings, and I think i just might have a new guitar for when I mess with drop tunings.

Also messing with the idea of doing a Hetfield Iron Cross LP Custom. I love that guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75