I know Euronymous used to use an Ibanez Tube Screamer into an Arion Metal Master pedal to get his sound. Does anyone know what pedals some of the other Norwegian bands used, like Varg on the Filosofem album, or some of Darkthrone's early stuff or even Satyricon. Was there a specific pedal used. I know that Swedish Death Metal used the Boss HM-2.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I think Varg used something like this

Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
It is correct that Varg used a headset mic on Filosofem. He used a vintage fuzz pedal plugged into his brother's stereo on that album as well.

That's my favorite Burzum album. You like Stoner/Doom as well as Black Metal. You and I should be in a band, I think we would do well together, I've been trying to combine the two styles together cohesively. I also like Burzum's electronic stuff.

Edit: also, if you are interested in obtaining the true Norwegian sound, it's really about the necro production.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Feb 18, 2014,
please let me play bass in your avant stoner vegan blackened grunge metal band.

also black metal isn't gear intensive. just look at Ildjarn. the end result is what matters.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
please let me play bass in your avant stoner vegan blackened grunge metal band.

also black metal isn't gear intensive. just look at Ildjarn. the end result is what matters.

I'm not a vegan, but yes. I'd love to collab with you.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Feb 24, 2014,
Founds Ildjarn through the Your Move discussion.

So raw. I got all uppity about not being able to find a 320kbs version... then I realised there wasn't really any point.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Im surprised there are still people who haven't heard Ildjarn really...he is considered quality round these and other parts for pretty much all black metal fans.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Im surprised there are still people who haven't heard Ildjarn really...he is considered quality round these and other parts for pretty much all black metal fans.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of him before. I love one man black metal. Burzum, Xasthur, Leviathan are all fantastic.

Thanks Ironic Maiden, I've been listening to Ildjarn all day.
banned
Burzum created music that transports the listener, the other two did not.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by ChemicalFire

So raw. I got all uppity about not being able to find a 320kbs version... then I realised there wasn't really any point.

There is no difference in the 320kbs rip compared to say, a FLAC rip, but Ildjarn on pure analog is worlds better then any rip you'll find.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Dude from Xasthur is ****in weird

the music is alright I guess
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Feb 27, 2014,
Xasthur is pretty fucking lame. Was always surprised at what an impact he made on so many people and how those same people always claimed to find Burzum aesthetics in Xasthur's music. Can't say I heard anything to back that up with my few listens of anything Xasthur. "Depressive" Black Metal as a whole should fuck off, or at least stop citing Burzum influence.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
There is no difference in the 320kbs rip compared to say, a FLAC rip, but Ildjarn on pure analog is worlds better then any rip you'll find.

My lack of any kind of analogue player somewhat ruins that. I just don't have the space.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Get yourself an old casette walkman if you desperately want some analogue vibes, you can pick up an old Aiwa for a fraction of the cost of a Sony one and they sound surprisingly great. Metal cassettes are infinitely cheaper than vinyl in most cases too.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Euugh.

Cassette. I have cassette players but srsly... **** cassette.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
What the fuck's wrong with cassette, unless you're a mongo who doesn't keep your heads clean?

Prefer your analogue metal on wax cylinder or something?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Feb 27, 2014,
After spending my entire childhood dealing with cassette I really don't want to go back to that hell on earth. Mangled tape all over the shop.

If I was to go analogue I'd much rather go Vinyl.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Is there any reason why you can't do both?

Tape has it downside but so does every format, spend a while lugging about crates of records and you'll be glad of a bunch of cassettes. And seriously, if you keep your heads clean and properly care for your tapes there's no reason they should get mangled.

You can pick up all sorts of bargains second-hand, even on Discogs. Picked up the three Arghoslent full-length's for £15 a few weeks ago, would've set me back at least £100-odds on wax.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Cassettes for life. Wax is great for releases you're confident in, maybe not so much for trying something new. Tapes are great for both purposes. Never had a tape shit out on me, but I have had tapes warp over a couple years because I was an idiot and left them in a warm place for too long.

But the warp made them sound pretty deadly anyways.

Tapes are pretty easy to care for man. Minimal effort involved.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I could go tape but it just doesn't appeal on the same level as vinyl, the art work size and the whole package is just more appealing to me, perhaps I'm getting dragged into the cult of vinyl.

I would have a turntable already if I had any space at all in my room.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
This is one of my vinyl set ups at the moment

Turntable

Preamp

Indirect Amp

Speakers

Sure you have to sell some ass on the corner to buy it, but your passion for some of your favorite releases will be reinvigorated to ungodly levels. And it may sound odd, but I find that in the world of dirty ass Metal production, audiophile levels of clarity are incredibly beneficial to a Metal albums sound. Need that dynamic range.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I could likely route the turntable through my Denon hifi set up without need for buying extra parts, though as I said it's just a matter of space. I am planning a clear out of all my junk soon so maybe after that's done I'll reconsider it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
That's a nice looking pre, I've been looking at a few recently but I've not got much of a clue what'd work well with my set-up. Got a 1210mk2 running into a shitty phono stage because the one on my amp is fucked, too much hum is killing all good vibes.

Do you find the tube adds a lot of colour?
Quote by ChemicalFire
When you replace the shitty power supply that the Bellari comes with it is the single greatest pre I've worked with for use at home as far as analog goes. I definitely encourage picking it up if you're competent enough to replace it yourself or visit a radioshack.

"Color" is one of the best benefits you can get from a proper analog set up and even non musically inclined people will understand the use of the word after hearing some wax on a good rig.

Right now I'm spinning some Uruk-Hai and you cannot tell the difference between the raindrops coming from Middle Earth and the rain drops outside. They intertwine hypnotically.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 27, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
I'm surprised I haven't heard of him before. I love one man black metal. Burzum, Xasthur, Leviathan are all fantastic.

Thanks Ironic Maiden, I've been listening to Ildjarn all day.

Your posts make me cringe
HESSIAN HAREM