I've decided to make my own clean boost. I've made a tap tempo in the past but this is the first time I'll be working with electronics parts. The materials:
Strip board
50k linear pot.
1.5 uf film cap.
10 uf electrolytic cap.
12k, 22k, 68k, 100k metal film resistors.
J201 (JFet) transistor
9v dc jack

Here's a picture of the circuit board
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3585/stratoblasterrender.jpg

I've seen another transistor that was the mpf102. From what I read it seams like it would be a better transistor than he J201 but I'm not completely sure. Also I've seen diagrams of circuits with 5k or 100k pots. So here are my questions.
1) J201 or mpf102?
2) Do the ohms on the potentiometers matter?
3) where does the negative terminal on the 9v jack connect to and where do the grounds on the board connect to?
4) if I added an led with a 270 ohm 1/4 watt resistor between the DC jack and the circuit board, will I have to take out a resistor/ does it affect the board?

Please and thanks

P.s. Does anyone know a site where I can find all the materials minus the board, 9v jack and led? I tried mouser and was having trouble finding a few things and digikey had everything except the transistors. I just don't want half my cost to be from shipping cost because I bought from like four different stores because all the parts aren't on one.
Last edited by Wontons at Feb 18, 2014,
I've seen another transistor that was the mpf102. From what I read it seams like it would be a better transistor than he J201 but I'm not completely sure. Also I've seen diagrams of circuits with 5k or 100k pots. So here are my questions.
1) J201 or mpf102?
2) Do the ohms on the potentiometers matter?
3) where does the negative terminal on the 9v jack connect to and where do the grounds on the board connect to?
4) if I added an led with a 270 ohm 1/4 watt resistor between the DC jack and the circuit board, will I have to take out a resistor/ does it affect the board?

Please and thanks

P.s. Does anyone know a site where I can find all the materials minus the board, 9v jack and led? I tried mouser and was having trouble finding a few things and digikey had everything except the transistors. I just don't want half my cost to be from shipping cost because I bought from like four different stores because all the parts aren't on one.

Alembic Stratoblaster, good choice! Anyways,
1) Get both and a socket, then try them both out. I recommend getting a breadboard putting together the circuit on that first, simply because if you have any dramas its easy just to pull everything apart and start again.
2) The ohms of the potentiometer will matter. Try to get as close to if not exactly the measurement given in the schematic/diagram.
3) The negative terminal of the 9v jack connects to the ground bus on your board, and vice versa Unless you're working on a positive-ground circuit (which you're not) then the negative from the power supply connects to everything that goes to ground, whilst the positive from the power goes to everything that needs power.
4) If you add the LED and resistor to the board, then you don't need to take anything out. As long as one leg of the resistor connects to power and the other connects to the positive leg (anode, or the longer leg) of the LED, and then the negative leg connects to ground, then the LED will light up.

As for parts, I use Tayda. Easy to find everything, cheap as chips and the postage rates are decent. They may or may not have all the parts you need but it's worth having a look on there anyways as you might save some money on the bulk of your parts.

If you're completely new to pedal building, an interesting read is Joe Gore's guides to building simple distortion/boost/buffer pedals on tonefiend. Download the PDF documents for part one, it'll walk you through how to read schematics, breadboard them, solder them to a board and then box them up in an enclosure with a footswitch and LED. The effect may or may not be of interest to you as a starter project but it'll probably teach you a bit about how to wire up a project and box it up, if that's what you're interested in doing.

Hope this has helped!
I think for those parts listed, half or more of your price being in shipping will be inevitable. do you plan on buying an enclosure and footswitch to go with these?
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Thanks joeowens994 I'll check it out!
Bustapr, yes I'm getting an enclosure but where I get it I can also buy a 9v jack, mono jacks, a switch and an led.