Hey so i have a curnundrum that needs to be solved...

Should i get a multi effect pedal board to simulate effects and amps on my laptop for home recording and stuff or should i stick with my current setup which is just an interface and guitar rig for effects/amps

I have the pro version of guitar rig and ive been pretty happy so far, its easy to use and works good just seems a bit limited as half the effects id never use myself.

An effect board would make the newly purchased interface redundant as most have one built in.

Would the board be better and easier for tweaking settings and give a better sound?

I have a bunch of effect pedals already i use with my amp but havent figured how to connect them the the pc. Tried inline with the guitar but it sounded aweful. And not the usual aweful sound i hear.

These are what boards i was thinking
Zoom g5
Boss me 70

Thanks for the help
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Feb 18, 2014,
The ME70 doesn't have a built in interface. Personally I'm not a fan of it's drives either, so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're not going to be gigging, you might as well stick with playing through the software VSTs you're already using.

If you're gigging, then the G5 would be a great investment for you. I'd definitely recommend that, or if your current experience is enough to know for definite which effects you'll need you could even get some indivudual pedals.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I wont be gigging
The zoom g5 was on top of the list as id beable to control settings with my feet.... How do i connect pedals to the interface? I guitar- effects - interface guitar input is that right?

If i can get the pedals i have now sounding good i may just do that instead. Ive always been a fan of pedals over multiFx...

Maybe a amp simulater or smaller zoom is what im looking for
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
If you want an amp sim/preamp you could always get a Joyo. They have the American Sound, which models a fender, sounds very similar too. The British Sound models Marshalls, the California Sound handles Mesas and the AC Sound handles Voxes. Plus they are only £30 a piece.
Quote by Rocketface2112
I wont be gigging
The zoom g5 was on top of the list as id beable to control settings with my feet.... How do i connect pedals to the interface? I guitar- effects - interface guitar input is that right?

Yes - keep it simple.

Quote by Rocketface2112
Maybe a smaller zoom is what im looking for

If you want a small Zoom, I use the G3 & it does a great job. It's basically the same as the G5, but smaller. I think the MS50G has all the same effects & amp models too (unsure if it is also a USB interface).

With the G3, you'd be able to plug your guitar into your normal pedalboard to get your current effects, then use one of the G3's amp simulators instead of a real amp. Obviously it has a built in interface so you could hook up to your PC if required.

Quote by Rocketface2112
If i can get the pedals i have now sounding good i may just do that instead. Ive always been a fan of pedals over multiFx...

Maybe a amp simulater is what im looking for

As you already have the effects you need, just plugging your guitar into your pedalboard, then your pedal board into a normal USB interface to use software based amp sims would work. A multi effect pedal may not be what you need at all.

Go to the recordings forum & read the interfaces sticky for advice on the hardware required (it can be had for as little as £10 if you just want something basic), then read the amp sims sticky for advice on which VSTs you'd want - a lot of them are free.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Feb 18, 2014,
i already own an interface its a presonus usb audiobox
ive thought of the ms 50g but it seems it would be annoying to be tweeking all those setting on such a small unit.

the reason i wanted to go with a multiFX is cuz i think it would be easier to turn knobs to tweak setting then to click a mouse lol
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Then as you already have the USB interface part of things, as well as looking at Zoom G3 & G5 (ignore the G1 & G2, they're crap) you should also look at Line 6's M 5/9. Very highly rated effects, but don't have the interface, drum machine & looper you get with the Zoom.

Personally I went with the Zoom G3 because I preferred the way it works to the Line 6 units, but lots of people here use the Line 6 products & rate them pretty highly.

Depending on budget, the TC Nova is also worth investigation. Arguably the best of those I've mentioned for effects, but like with the Line 6 products I didn't like the layout.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Im trying to stay away from line6 i got their pocket pod and that thing is horrible.the layout sucked. It make you go through so many menus just to change 1 thing. Forr 100 bucks what do you expect..

I like the boss layout as it set up like pedels.. Same with zoom thats why im leaning toward them. Thinking imma a get a g3x... Hows the amp modeling in it?

Also thanks for the quick replies and the help your giving me
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
I only use the amp modelling in my G3 when I'm practicing through headphones, but it works pretty well. As with anything, you could spend weeks/months/years tweaking it and playing with all the different options, but realistically the you can make it sound good within a few seconds of turning it on - most of the amp models are set to pretty usable defaults and can be customised with a simple turn of a knob.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Rocketface2112
I wont be gigging

Maybe a amp simulater or smaller zoom is what im looking for

I recently got a Zoom MS-100BT, and it's pretty good.

I use it mainly for modulation effects, and some other weird ones (slicers, synths, reverbs, delays, echos, flangers, phasers), with no complaints -- it works great along my other pedals on my pedalboard.

At my band's rehearsals i found myself using the '65 Fender Twin Reverb simulator, which sounds really great and takes my OD/fuzz/distortion pedals perfectly, so that i can hook the pedalboard straight to the PA and leave my tube amp at home.
The other amp simulators also sound nice, i just prefer to use a good clean tone as a basis to lay effects on.

It's a small and practical unit, so maybe it's worth a look.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Ive been looking at that one. It seems pretty good for what i want. Seems im stuck between the g3 and the ms100bt.

Err nevermind i just bought a G3X for $200 brand new on ebay
Im gonna sell a couple of fx pedals i dont want or ever use.. Boss ds1 and pocket pod.. Maybe tbe morley wah and boss flanger too
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Feb 23, 2014,