Hi! I was looking for a way to achieve a Gary Moore Still got The blues sound. However, everyone sugested some gear way too expensive for me. I was wondering if there's a pedal (not too expensive) that can do the trick. Im not looking for an exact match, but something that can produce a close enough sound. Thank you!
what's your current gear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
59 Les Paul into a cranked Marshall.... but to really get his sound you are going to need his fingers.
Quote by Cajundaddy
59 Les Paul into a cranked Marshall.... but to really get his sound you are going to need his fingers.

I love Gary Moore, but there's no magic here. What one man can do, another can duplicate.

TS, a Les Paul, OD pedal and JTM-45 or similar will get you in the ballpark, the rest is up to you.

If you can't afford a JTM45 or similar, there are pedals that will get you close through a good clean tube amp, although there are as many opinions as to which ones as there are people using them.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm pretty sure I've also seen him use a JCM 2000, which is a lot cheaper/easier to find than a JTM
Yes, he used JCM2000 DSL

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
It depends on the budget. I would imagine your looking on the cheaper side of things:

Epiphone les Paul Standard, possibly with upgraded Gibson 57 pickups.
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 40 Combo

Crank the mids, turn the reverb up to about 7 or 8 and you should get pretty close.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
It's a '59 Les Paul into a cranked Marshall JTM45 running 5881's into an EV loaded 1960 with a Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor and an Alesis Quadraverb.

And the live sound was the same except instead of a JTM45 he used a JCM2000 DSL100, also with 5881 power tubes. Gary loved 5881's and EV speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
It's a '59 Les Paul into a cranked Marshall JTM45 running 5881's into an EV loaded 1960 with a Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor and an Alesis Quadraverb.

And the live sound was the same except instead of a JTM45 he used a JCM2000 DSL100, also with 5881 power tubes. Gary loved 5881's and EV speakers.

Yeah yeah yeah, we know.

But I'm betting TS can't afford that...

Also, I've never seen/heard that he used the Quadraverb on "Still got the Blues"?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah, IIRC that was when he started using the Quaddy.

I know that all may be out of his price range but I thought I'd lay it all out from start to finish so he knows what he is aiming at.
So replace the amp with another Marshallesque tube amp, I get remarkably close with an 18W'er into a greenback.
The Mk1 Guv'nor overdrive was a constant through most of his career. Well, that's achievable.
A '59 LP isn't feasible but that tells him that he needs something with PAF's.
And Quadraverbs are very cheap on ebay these days.
All doable shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100