i have an Alder body, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard with a compound 10-16 radious HSS strat and i am going to replace the pickups and i could use some expertise on the matter.

for the neck and middle i want to keep vintage strat tones so i'm deciding between the:
SSL-1
SSL-2
Classic Stack Plus STK-S4
Alnico II Pro™Staggered APS-2
Alnico II Pro™ Flat APS-2

i am not sure between staggered or flat. what would work better for my current set up in your opinion? i like my action pretty low.

for the bridge i do want something this is a bit hot but still well rounded and as warm and creamy as possible:

JB: heard it was a bit upper mid focused and a bit honkey. i have heard about the 250k pots to cut some of the edge off.

Custom Custom: heard it does very well with bright instruments since my body is alder and fret board is ebony it might tame that a bit a round out the sound but i also heard they lack good bass definition which i'm not so sure about.

Pearly Gates: heard may great things about this pickup. very smooth and rounded. but not sure if it can get hot enough for me.

any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Focus on the music first and then choose the tool that best suits your needs. There are no perfect pickups that do everything.

In general:
60s-70s Rock- Pearly Gates/'59HB
80s Rock- JB/Custom Custom
from what you've said, the custom custom sounds like it'd work, if the bass isn't too mushy

i like the ssl1s (or the 2s i suppose might suit your radius better), but if you did decide to go for the custom custom the alnico II pro singles might match their tone nicely, being a bit warmer.

the PG mightn't be hot enough, especially if you want to split it in position 4.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for the bridge i do want something this is a bit hot but still well rounded and as warm and creamy as possible

Lots of options:

RailHammer:
HyperVintage has a classic HB sound.
Chisel is higher output, but still not ûber hot.
Gnarly90 is their more aggressively voiced HB-sized P90.

Tesla:
VR-Extreme has a good 80's metal ballsiness that still cleans up nicely.

Lace:
Alumitone is clean as anything out there.
Alumitone Deathbucker is still very clean, but heads directly into metal territory when dirtied.

Bareknuckle:
Rebel Yell is another 80s style HB.
Stockholm is their highest output HB-sized P90.

Seymour Duncan:
'59 is a nice classically voiced HB that dirties up nicely.
SH-4JB is a bruiser that can clean up nicely.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
would the JB with an A2 mag swap and 250 pots do the trick? how do the alnico 2 pros sound in comparison to the classic stack plus?
Last edited by dtscott2 at Feb 18, 2014,
oh and anywhere from clean blues to metal. i am well aware that there is no perfect pickup for everything. i like warm vintage tones that can still scream a bit if the mood strikes.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lots of options:

RailHammer:
HyperVintage has a classic HB sound.
Chisel is higher output, but still not ûber hot.
Gnarly90 is their more aggressively voiced HB-sized P90.

Tesla:
VR-Extreme has a good 80's metal ballsiness that still cleans up nicely.

Lace:
Alumitone is clean as anything out there.
Alumitone Deathbucker is still very clean, but heads directly into metal territory when dirtied.

Bareknuckle:
Rebel Yell is another 80s style HB.
Stockholm is their highest output HB-sized P90.

Seymour Duncan:
'59 is a nice classically voiced HB that dirties up nicely.
SH-4JB is a bruiser that can clean up nicely.

Danny, all your posts on my threads have been so helpful. thank you
Awww...you're making me blush!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Awww...you're making me blush!

i tend to have that effect. oh and i talked to a local G&L vender and my Legacy HB should be here in a few weeks. i will post pics when it comes. this post is partially about the legacy as well. i have just heard things that im not sure i will like about the JB. maybe the mod i mentioned above will do the trick.
The JB is weird... I've tried it in guitars where I've flat-out hated it, in others where it was alright but nothing special, and in yet others where it was really quite nice and suited the guitar really well. In fact, sometimes I hated two things about it which intuition would say should be mutually exclusive, too (in some guitars it's both too bright and too muddy at the same time ).

Admittedly some of those may have been with different amps so it might not have solely been the pickup at fault But I've heard similar complaints from other people, too. So yeah I'd wait and see what it's like before swapping it, just in case your guitar is one of the lucky ones which suits it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 18, 2014,