I've just restrung a floyd rose for the first time, all went well until I started tuning to pitch, I did the first 5 strings, and then I got to the high e. I got it to around Db when I heard a sharp noise that sounded kind of like a string breaking, however the string is still intact. But the saddle for my high e string looks a bit lower than the other saddles.
When I tried to carry on tuning it up to e, the string got considerably tighter than the other strings, so I stopped.
Have I broken my floyd?
What should I do?
Any advice is welcome!
Check all your mounting hardware and make sure all the little adjustment screws still work. Can't imagine what that sound was.
Is the bridge flat compared to the body line, or is it tilting one way or another? How are the springs in the back?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Can you post a picture?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Sounds like your string might have slipped either at the tuner or the bridge locking pad. I'd try and see if you can get it tuned up before worrying about it.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I tried tuning it up and it snapped, as well as raising the bridge quite far. I put a new high e string on and it tuned fine so I guess it must have been a bad string. But that saddle is still a bit lower than the others, but seeing as it hasn't stopped me from tuning, I guess it doesn't matter that much?..
The sharp noise is probably your bridge being pulled in or out of place from the spring tension. Kinda hard to explain but the posts it sits on has grooves. had it happen to me the first few times I restrung. it can happen on one side or both and will mess with how high the strings sit. my guess is it snapped back in place and should be cool
You might have just had a bad string, or perhaps the gauge of string was even mislabeled and it was not meant for the high e position
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)