Page 1 of 2
The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

Trolls are bad people IRL too. Does this seem accurate?
shocker.... have read the youtube comments last 4 years? or played any moderate competitive game?

though I have to say I think all the regular trolls in the pit are a nice bunch of people.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I'd agree on this, people I know that have done this with me online are people that I generally think are dicks in person too, not surprised at all
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
I don't have access to the actual article but I'm assuming that the 5 percent of intro to psych students who actually self-identified as internet trolls were both not a representative sample of actual internet trolls and are not likely to respond honestly since they're, ya know, trolls.
Not true, I trolled a few people last night with my Half Life thread.

What about tom fucckary? Surely, there has to be something said about small timers.

Then again...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
My mother had me tested. It is not true for me.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ

I don't agree with it
To be sure, only 5.6 percent of survey respondents actually specified that they enjoyed “trolling.”

That's a troll. Someone deliberately saying/doing things specifically for the negative reaction, they often don't even buy into what they are saying, they're just stirring things up.

An asshole spouting a detestable opinion is not necessarily a troll. They may actually believe what they are saying.

The study doesn't differentiate from a "troll" and someone whose opinion is actually what they claim and that skews the results.
Quote by jugglingfreak
I don't agree with it

That's a troll. Someone deliberately saying/doing things specifically for the negative reaction, they often don't even buy into what they are saying, they're just stirring things up.

An asshole spouting a detestable opinion is not necessarily a troll. They may actually believe what they are saying.

The study doesn't differentiate from a "troll" and someone whose opinion is actually what they claim and that skews the results.

The study is flawed, but not for the reasons you think it is.

The study asks people whether they troll, as defined by the participants themselves. It doesn't analyse the content of their comments on websites or anything like that. It just relies on self-reported trolling behaviour and correlates it with psychometric measures of personality disorder.

The study is problematic because it does not define what "trolling" entails. Everything from ribbing your friend and rickrolling to posting flashing gifs on epilepsy forums falls under the term.
Going on to a forum or youtube and calling people ******s or starting fights isn't trolling.

Now, going on to a forum for depressed people and causing one to kill themselves, that takes skill, and I commend anyone who can do that.

Quote by modus operandi
The study is problematic because it does not define what "trolling" entails. Everything from ribbing your friend and rickrolling to posting flashing gifs on epilepsy forums falls under the term.

That's pretty funny
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 18, 2014,
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I don't have access to the actual article but I'm assuming that the 5 percent of intro to psych students who actually self-identified as internet trolls were both not a representative sample of actual internet trolls and are not likely to respond honestly since they're, ya know, trolls.

Doesn't matter anymore. I have now seen it on the internet therefore it is now 100% truth.
Neo Evil is a sadistic, narcissistic, Machiavellian psychopath. I know this to be true. I tested his mother.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.

this, this
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by daytripper75

Trolls are bad people IRL too. Does this seem accurate?
Yes.
Quote by MinterMan22

(and we could be here all day)
Last edited by sickman411 at Feb 18, 2014,
Just like most things, though, I think there are varying degrees of trolling. I think the "dark tetrad" or whatever it's called is referring to only the worst of the worst.

What I mean to say is I just want Shadow to like me ;_;
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Just like most things, though, I think there are varying degrees of trolling. I think the "dark tetrad" or whatever it's called is referring to only the worst of the worst.

What I mean to say is I just want Shadow to like me ;_;

Shadow told me he thinks you're a cunt.
But I said no way man.
Quote by sickman411

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Guess I'm a terrible person then

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
are not likely to respond honestly since they're, ya know, trolls.

best response ever
So that graph is telling us that to be a nice person we must not comment on anything.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.

and thats what we call a variable, yo
banned
ITT: people who knowingly troll and are obnoxious attack statistic validity of the paper
My God, it's full of stars!
lolmnt is cool though, right?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
One was by simply asking survey participants what they “enjoyed doing most” when on online comment sites, offering five options: “debating issues that are important to you,” “chatting with others,” “making new friends,” “trolling others,” and “other.” Here’s how different responses about these Internet commenting preferences matched up with responses to questions designed to identify Dark Tetrad traits:

To be fair... giving the troll answer is exactly what trolls would do. Not sure about the validity, could be valid, could not be.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm not sure anyone on the internet is a good person. Think about it: we wouldn't be here if people liked us.
Why are concluding that psychopathy, narcissism, machiavellianism, or sadistic tendencies are negative character traits? Pretty judgmental.

Makes sense though since its coming from such a beta.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by lolmnt
lolmnt is cool though, right?

The data was inconclusive.
Ok, in my definition, an asshole is a person who get pleasure out of other people's pain, and they are the ones who cause that pain.

Trolls=assholes.. Trolling is a waste of our lives; if you troll, you're an asshole, or at least have some asshole in you.

/thread
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Ok, in my definition, an asshole is a person who get pleasure out of other people's pain, and they are the ones who cause that pain.

Trolls=assholes.. Trolling is a waste of our lives; if you troll, you're an asshole, or at least have some asshole in you.

/thread

I have an asshole. am I a troll?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm not sure anyone on the internet is a good person. Think about it: we wouldn't be here if people liked us.

Duh
Quote by Neo Evil11
I have an asshole. am I a troll?

YOU have to ask if you're a troll?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
YOU have to ask if you're a troll?

I was unsure if I am an asshole.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Honestly I think this study is pretty accurate. Think about it fellas.

Trolls troll to troll trolls in trolling troll to troll. If a troll has a troll to troll with or by, doesn't said troll have to troll in order to be a troll?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Page 1 of 2