I'm still fairly new to playing, but i was wondering what kind of pickups would be good for a 'Testament/Metallica' sound
Any decent pickups are going to cost you more than the guitar is worth. I really wouldn't upgrade a 50 series LTD. I would be looking at upgrading your amp and guitar.
what amp are you using. Also imo i wouldn't bother upgrading pups on that guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by J_W
Any decent pickups are going to cost you more than the guitar is worth. I really wouldn't upgrade a 50 series LTD. I would be looking at upgrading your amp and guitar.

My F-50 with Tone Zone vehemently disagrees. Its a good guitar that is fantastic to play (though maybe I just got a good one) but pickup change made it into a keeper.

That said, unless you find one used (my TZ came with other guitar) its propably not the best idea to spend big bucks on big-name brand pups that cost half of the guitars price though thats just me. I say so look for lesser names instead. Iron Gear, GFS and such.

Metallica is all about active EMGs. Good thing is that they are readily available on used market though if you wish to keep your neck pickup you have to change both to actives. Passive and active are not compatible without some wire wizardry. The pots have to be changed too to match EMGs requirements.

Not sure what guys at Testament use but EMG 81 is a good Thrash metal pickup anyway so it doesnt matter.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 18, 2014,
Don't spend too much on whatever pickups you buy. An EC-50 isn't worth much and the pickup swap will not add to its value.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Don't spend too much on whatever pickups you buy. An EC-50 isn't worth much and the pickup swap will not add to its value.

Its not about adding value, its about improving the sound of a guitar you already like.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
People saying "don't upgrade pickups in an inexpensive guitar" doesn't make sense to me. If you like the feel of a guitar, no matter what the price, it's almost always a good idea to upgrade the pickups. However, if your amp isn't good for that particular tone, you will not get anywhere near the correct tone from a pickup change.

To answer the original question, get something high output if you want passive pickups, or convert the guitar to hold active pickups.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
just get a used 400 series with emgs already in thr it. viper 400s go at low prices all the time.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A