I want to train on classical guitar, but eventually would like to branch into electric or acoustic guitar.

I realize the posture of the guitar is totally different for non-classical playing (you don't see Jimi Hendrix using a footstool).

Does the classical technique translate well into those other instruments, or does it require a lot of adjustments to the way you play and the angles of the fret hand, etc...??
Not really an issue. If you look at a lot of the great players of jazz, fusion and shred guitar you will see that many of them use the classical position when sitting down. And when they are standing up they have the strap adjusted so the guitar is as close to that same position. So posture-wise i don't think it is an issue.

Fretting hand isn't that much of a difference either in my opinion, we both strive for the same thing which is economy of motion. The real different is in how we use our right hand i believe, getting used to play fingerstyle might not be a problem for you, but if you want to play stuff that require a pick that might be the big challenge.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Agreed with the Sickz.

On the posture thing, there is no hard and fast rule about that. I play with the guitar resting on my right leg whenever I sit just because that's how I feel comfortable. I played with the guitar between the legs for a while, but it never stuck for me. So it's really a preference thing if you ask me. Footstools are also a preference thing, depends how much of the guitar you want right under you.

The difference will come in with technique in both hand. You'll typically use a "rounder" fretting finger technique in classical as opposed to a "flatter" finger technique when playing rock to mute the strings or whatever. The right hand will be doing the finger-picking thing which you'll obviously have to learn, but becomes second nature with practice- it also translates well into other styles of music if you don't want to use a pick for whatever reason.
I haven't trained in classical in three years now, but at the time when I did it I pretty much played classical and metal interchangeably. Quite different things and I was just as comfortable with both of them. I think it differs from person to person. Try it out, see if you dig.
(I don't play classical so maybe take this with a pinch of salt )

It's going to help a lot more than trying to transfer across from, I dunno, trumpet or something like that, but if you know you want to play electric and acoustic, it might make more sense to learn that? Or even learn all 3 at the same time.

It's the same instrument, but they're normally used for different styles of music that are played slightly differently (arguably quite a bit differently). Maybe this is just me, but I can normally tell a classically-trained guitarist who's trying to play rock and blues from one who learnt rock and blues from the get-go. (To clarify- I'm not saying someone who learnt classical can't learn electric- I learnt classical piano before guitar and I definitely sound like a rock/blues guitar player, not a classical player. I mean the players who play classical guitar 95% of the time and claim to also play rock and blues but who don't quite sound "right" when doing it, to my ears, a lot of the time. I'm sure there are some badasses who buck that trend who mainly play classical who are also great rock and blues players, I'd never claim it's a hard and fast rule. Just you asked for opinions so I gave mine. )

there's a lot of overlap (it's the same instrument after all), especially with the more basic techniques, but there are also a lot of techniques which you'd use in rock and blues which you'd never come across in classical (and vice-versa). as i said, if you know you want to learn rock and blues... i'd learn rock and blues on a suitable instrument.

what you're kind of saying is, "I really want to play tennis, will learning table tennis first help and are the skills transferable?" Well, sure, probably, but learning tennis would help even more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 18, 2014,
I think a great deal of it will transfer. Everything you learn musically, the sense of timing, the fretting hand dexterity. And this is not an absolute - but I think in most cases the classical grip of the neck is best if you want to play faster rock/metal, so no probs there. Areas I see as problems. Picking is one. It takes years to develop really good picking technique - so initially this area is going to be way behind what you can do with your fretting hand. Bends and vibrato are another. Although you can bend strings in classical guitar, it's a much smaller part of the style than it is in rock or blues. Similarly, I'm not sure how well the side to side vibrato you do on a classical transfers if you're playing rock or blues. The timing of the vibrato for sure, and maybe the underlying reflex, but the technique is quite different.