Poll: D'you care about Class?
Poll Options
View poll results: D'you care about Class?
I do care
20 35%
Don't care
38 67%
I've been insulted/disrciminated because of my class
15 26%
My social class doesn't affect my life.
27 47%
Voters: 57.
Page 1 of 2
I've been seeing a few threads about issues which are popular right now (Feminism, Transgender rights, Masculinity/Feminism in general, LGBT Rights and so on...) but do you care about class?

Here in the UK we have very well defined social classes and I don't know how it is in other countries but we have very little social mobility here (we die in the class we are born). It isn't uncommon for entire social classes to be insulted with slurs ( Chav, Yuppie, Red neck, Bourgeois...).

Do you see any problem with this? Is it wrong? Do you think it's more acceptable to call a working class man a Chav than calling a black guy a nigga?

Our societies are becoming increasingly progressive but attitudes towards the working class aren't which I find odd because not only is it the largest social class but also because it's a pretty serious issue I think. Channel 4 did a huge series called Benefits street which was caused a lot of discussion and a lot of it involved slurs against the working class.

So yeah, is class still an issue? Have you had any discrimination based on your class?
Class (economic class) is a more important issue than any of those in your first paragraph.
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 18, 2014,
yes, I think classes are important to really grasp the subject.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Class is a huge marker of a person's worth over here. Actually in every country I've been it's this way. Especially Egypt, there's loads of hate there towards lower-income families (especially since we have a high rate of illiteracy, which I almost just misspelled lol). Yeah, it upsets me. As much as most other kinds of discrimination.
It's funny you made a thread about glasses cause I just lost mine!
Last edited by Weaponized at Feb 18, 2014,
Yes I do.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Nah I don't. I've been every class but upper (so like two haha), and I grew up in an environment where class wasn't really focused on and I interacted with peeps from all stratas.

Some people will tell you that class warfare and hierarchy shape and drive the majority of our lives and social problems, but eh, I'm not one of those people.
My God, it's full of stars!
Class discrimination is is up there with racism and sexism. It is an issue and will continue to be an issue for a very long time.
I don't have to care about class because I'm already classy as fuck
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I thought it was funny living in England, my GF was upper class, her whole family was a bunch of morons. I much prefer middle class people over upper or lower that I've met.
I don't notice much of a difference between people to be honest. They aren't very defined here though. Seems much worse in other places
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 18, 2014,
I grew up working class. Got a good education so I suppose I am middle class now, but still remember what it was like having absolutely nothing.

I grew up somewhere a bit like 'benefits street' and so it seemed quite normal to me. I was surprised how much people bitched about it.
who needs class when u got #swag #realniggas
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Not really. It isn't really something people focus on a lot here. Hell I thought the title was talking more about "being classy"
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
No, class doesn't matter to me.

I know loads of middle-class cunts and I know loads of working-class cunts. If their class backgrounds were switched around they'd all still be cunts.

The middle-classes have a minority of entitled ****wits; the working-classes have a minority of chavs.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
In the US everyone is either rich, thinks they're rich, or thinks they're going to be rich, so not as much of an issue is raised over class here, at least from my observation.
There's definitely a segregation of different groups that could look like class structure here but I feel theres many more aspects that cause this. For example, intelligence.
As a Norwegian who studies in the UK, I did notice that the class system is slightly more prevalent here than in Norway (at least in my neck of the woods)
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by sfaune92
As a Norwegian who studies in the UK, I did notice that the class system is slightly more prevalent here than in Norway (at least in my neck of the woods)

Only Portugal has a bigger class divide in Europe.
Quote by TheChaz
In the US everyone is either rich, thinks they're rich, or thinks they're going to be rich, so not as much of an issue is raised over class here, at least from my observation.

this is an indication that the elite rich are doing a fine job of sparking hope into the poor majority
Quote by So-Cal
this is an indication that the elite rich are doing a fine job of sparking hope into the poor majority

Quite
class mobility is highly important for a well-functioning society so everyone really does have a vested interest in it i guess
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by So-Cal

American Dream yeh? You can be whatever you want m9.
Quote by bradulator
Only Marxist dweebs care about class.

Fact: it only takes a grade school reading level to think this thread has anything to do with the Marxist conception of class.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Fact: it only takes a grade school reading level to think this thread has anything to do with the Marxist conception of class.

Ooh I found a dweeb
My God, it's full of stars!
Class discrimination doesn't seem to be an issue where I live. I mean, my dad is a doctor. One of his best friends drives trucks for a living. When he was in the army, he associated with sergeants, colonels, fellow captains. Etc. Maybe that's just me and how I was raised. But how much money someone has or how many fancy goods they own...it never mattered to me or my family.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Class discrimination doesn't seem to be an issue where I live. I mean, my dad is a doctor. One of his best friends drives trucks for a living. When he was in the army, he associated with sergeants, colonels, fellow captains. Etc. Maybe that's just me and how I was raised. But how much money someone has or how many fancy goods they own...it never mattered to me or my family.

Well if your family of doctors seem to be getting along with everyone then class probably isn't even that big of a deal.
Class by itself isn't a thing that people discriminate based on here. But there's racial discrimination and race is associated with class, so

it isn't a 1-way thing and I guess no one really tries to avoid each other though
cat
Page 1 of 2