Epic. Metal.

In the last 5 or so years, I've been finding myself gravitating towards this sound. A grand mix of traditional, power, and doom metal distinct from existing genres. Often times, but not exclusively, the bands focus on medieval and mythological lyrical themes to add to the feel of the music.

I could sit here describing the sound and giving a history of what I believe the evolution of the genre is, but nothing speaks better than the music itself. What I do want to note, however, is that the genre has experienced a revival in recent years primarily in Italy, Greece, and the United States. There are a plethora of mediocre bands attempting the style, but there are truly some greats in the making.

Quote by Ironic Maiden
Am I a bad person if I can't get into Manilla Road or Atlantean Kodex?

Yes.
If you don't like Atlantean Kodex, then you suck Ironic. There is no way around that fact.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso
If you don't like Atlantean Kodex, then you suck Ironic. There is no way around that fact.

Quote by Ironic Maiden
Am I a bad person if I can't get into Manilla Road or Atlantean Kodex?
I mean, I'd really be afraid to be seen in public and probably also want to take a shower immediately after so much as even considering any potential disapproval of that particular Manilla Road album as linked in the OP.

re: this thread, I believe the most recent Procession album fits the descriptor of "Epic Metal" fairly aptly.
^I don't know if it fits or not but that album is kickass

Atlantean Kodex is just such all round fantastic music.. I have gotten into epic heavy/doom metal a lot in the last couple of years (breaking away but not leaving my mainly thrash oriented musical taste of the past 2 decades) and I think post-BM Bathory was the thing that clicked with me first. Then later on Solstice and the Kodex just blew me away.
Procession's To Reap Heaven Apart is a fantastic album and was easily one of my top albums of 2013, however after really delving into this music I honestly feel there is a distinction between bands like Candlemass, Solitude Aeternus, Procession, Scald, etc. and the ones I linked.

I wouldn't even consider Solstice's debut for this genre in particular. I think it's a matter of pacing and slightly of song structure. I think Isen Torr's EP is the best, hardest example I could give of what I define the genre to be.
Some of it just sounds like Black Sabbath in a higher key.
I like it though.
Originally Posted by Cheeselord
Sanitarium iz by SLAYER DUMBASS!!!!!

SLAYER FAN4LIFE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo37PUqGv5w

Does this fit your criterion Powerslave?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
When discussing genre names, if it's got a distinct sound that can be supported by a few bands that hold similar influences to form that sound, it's arguably a genre. Like swing metal sounding like arbitrary name collisions but there actually being bands that do it a lot.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by The Virtuoso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo37PUqGv5w

Does this fit your criterion Powerslave?

I like Realmbuilder, but sometimes they're such a frustrating band to listen to. They show so many glimpses of brilliance, but on the whole there's a lot to be desired. This song starts off so strong but drags on for too long and gets so boring .

I think Realmbuilder fall under the same category as Solstice's debut; close but not exactly what I have in mind. I think there's a small distinction in terms of pacing and song structure. It's certainly very close though.
what a delicious collection of music has been posted in OP
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by MHDrunk
what a delicious collection of music has been posted in OP

It is a Powerlsave™ thread, after all.

Legend are the fathers, but Manilla Road have held the torch high for all to see. What Manilla have done is unrivaled. Fukking Gods.

This style of music is obscenely popular in the Mediterranean. I plan on posting some of the solid bands from that region, but there's a lot of mimic and mediocrity to wade through. If you watch the Keep It True live footage for Medieval Steel, it's legitimately all Greeks/Italians/Cyprusians. Maybe my deep rooted love for this sound is in my blood
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Feb 25, 2014,