I am currently getting back into playing guitar - I have an Ibanez RG570 and a cheap Fender acoustic. I'm looking for a bedroom amp with versatility - looking to play a lot of different types of music. Blues, classic rock, indie, grunge, metal, etc.

The one big requirement is a headphone jack in case I play at random times of the day.

I haven't kept up with gear over the past few years - I'm looking at this cheap Vox combo in particular: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-vox-mini5-rhythm-modeling-guitar-combo-amplifier

My budget isn't much - likely $150-200 unless there's a killer tube combo w/ a headphone jack out there for $250-275ish.
The Peavey Vypyr has a headphone jack I believe...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Used Vypyr Tube. Worth the difference over the SS version.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yamaha THR series. If you are only playing in your bedroom that's all you need.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Roland Cube series $200 used
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/roland/cube_30x/

Or....
Forget about an amp. Run through a Vox Tonelab LE ($200 used) with virtually every guitarists tones already in there. Run it with headphones, mix your music with it, send it to your stereo, send it to a PA to gig. All pro tones in there with no compromises for cheapie cheesy speakers. Worth a look.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 19, 2014,
You might consider a used Vox VT or ADVT hybrid. I have the 15 and 50 watt versions and am really happy with both.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Yamaha THR series. If you are only playing in your bedroom that's all you need.

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
All good suggestions. I went with a Pod XT (back when) for headphone practice in part because it fit into a gig bag pocket and I could take it anywhere. Eventually, I was able to hook it up to any kind of powered speaker (including cheapo computer speakers, decent recording monitors, the Atomic Reactor series of tube-amp powered speakers, the Tech 21 series, a tube power amp and a pair of 2x12s and, over time, direct to a PA system.
Quote by jds2
You might consider a used Vox VT or ADVT hybrid. I have the 15 and 50 watt versions and am really happy with both.
I used to own one of the older 30w Valvetronix amps - I really liked it, been looking at the new iterations
Quote by Cajundaddy
Roland Cube series $200 used
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/roland/cube_30x/

Or....
Forget about an amp. Run through a Vox Tonelab LE ($200 used) with virtually every guitarists tones already in there. Run it with headphones, mix your music with it, send it to your stereo, send it to a PA to gig. All pro tones in there with no compromises for cheapie cheesy speakers. Worth a look.
I thought about this as well - the multiFX route. Don't you need an "active" output though, such as a keyboard amp? I currently only have a 2.1 computer speaker system and an old shitty solid state starter amp
I'm surprised no one recommended a high wattage tube amp yet for "headroom" in your bedroom.

+1 forumites +1

Everything suggested so far would work great for you. If you recorded to your computer the THR and POD would have a slight edge in that department.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by TJM2482
I thought about this as well - the multiFX route. Don't you need an "active" output though, such as a keyboard amp? I currently only have a 2.1 computer speaker system and an old shitty solid state starter amp

All multi effects like Pod or Tonelab have a "line out" available. This signal is matched to "line in" on your stereo "CD in" "Tape in" or mixer "line in" or Computer AD interface "line in". You may need an adapter cord to match the plug sizes but line out>line in results in very high quality sound. Your 2.1 will be fine if it is decent quality for itunes. No extra amp needed.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY