Page 1 of 2
Hi Musicians,
Can you give me suggestion on a pretty light weight USA made electric guitar? I am a 26 years old mother and recently suffered from back pain. I already have a Fender telecaster JA90 thinline, and I need another guitar for a back up that is double humbucker. I wanted to buy stratocaster blacktop HH but i thought it would just make my shoulder/ back worse.
I gig every weekend. My amp is Vox AC30 VR.

Your reply will be appreciated, thanks.
Gibson SG Classic styling and very light.
Gibson Melodymaker
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Get a Gibson or Heritage hollowbody. Stuff it with towels to control feedback.
Well; it doesn't get lighter - or better - than a U.S.A.-made Parker Fly series:

Not cheap, but worth every cent.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Hope we can help- what is your budget?

Also, are you willing to buy used or do you want a new guitar only?

Is there a particular reason you want American made only?

In the meantime, if you have @$1500 (actually, a little less, since he's having a 30% off sale), Jon Kammerer's small-bodied mini-hollowbody Chameleon model is about as light as it gets without using exotic materials. A double HB model would be between 4.5-5lbs, and if you use Lace Alumitones or Alumitone Deathbuckers, the weight would be closer to 3.75-4.25lbs. Despite being a hollowbody, feedback issues would be minimal.

Made in Illinois.

Standard features for that price include:

Satin or Gloss finish
24 fret fret board
Multiple pickup configurations with single coils, humbuckers, or P-90's
Case included
Limited lifetime warranty
Your choice of Hard Maple, Soft Flame maple, Walnut, or Cherry for the body.
Gold, Chrome, or Black Hardware

http://jonkammerercustoms.com/help-template_012.htm

Similarly, RockBeach Guitars of New York offers the full-sized Camelback and the small-bodied Cicada and Mantis models which may be had as chambered body guitars. Boggs- the luthier- will work with you on every aspect of the guitar: woods, pickups, etc. Prices start around $1200. And yes, you will probably find his guitars comfy- his designs are influenced by the fact that he's had a few shoulder surgeries himself.

http://www.irondequoitpost.com/x265581149/Ergonomics-fuels-unique-guitar-business

Here's a guy demoing a RockBeach CB-II design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPI5i1Dd2s

FWIW, I have guitars from both builders. And in fact, I have the exact same model- right down to wood & hardware- as do these two used semihollow JKGs:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Jon+Kammerer

Both are good deals. The guitar is fairly light, comfortable and, FWIW, has coil-splitting. Mine is one of my main guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 19, 2014,
an SG is pretty light.

thin mahogany (if it's decent quality mahogany) guitars like SGs and doublecut les paul juniors/specials (they're p90 normally, though, not humbuckers) are normally pretty light.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cajundaddy
Gibson SG Classic styling and very light.
Gibson Melodymaker

SG is great but i cant stand with the unbalanced body and neck.
1 word. Carvin. More specifically..any DC, ST, or Bolt series can be configured with what you want TS.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
The Parkers are the lightest I've found. OTOH, I have seven Carvins of various descriptions, including several DCs. Since you order custom, you can talk to them about ordering one with lighter woods (they'll actually pull some and weigh them for you).

One of the Carvins I'm looking at picking up at the moment is the very small and slightly weird-looking Holdworth headless guitar. It's Steinberg-esque, manages to pack a full 25.5" scale into a guitar about 31" long (your strat is probably another 10" long). Comes with a chambered body and total weight is around 5.1 lbs (another half pound if you add a trem). Be aware that it normally comes with a fairly flat (20" radius) fretboard (though you can order it with other radii) and that may feel substantially different from your Strat, depending on what radius you've got on that.

In the above photo, Allan manages to play the guitar, "feel" the music through his buttocks, flip us the bird and power the entire the rig by pedaling the two generators concealed inside what looks like ordinary expression pedals in time with his playing. This will give you an idea, however, how small this guitar really is.
Quote by dspellman

In the above photo, Allan manages to play the guitar, "feel" the music through his buttocks, flip us the bird and power the entire the rig by pedaling the two generators concealed inside what looks like ordinary expression pedals in time with his playing.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I just weighed my guitars this morning.

My strat weighed in at 7.5 lbs and my sg at 6.4lbs. The SG in scientific terms is "Light as ****"
Quote by dhenia182
SG is great but i cant stand with the unbalanced body and neck.

the new ones are fixed. thin necks and smaller headstock = no unbalance at all. I would agree though that they were very unbalanced for a LONG time. I wouldn't have mine if it was still that way. I can't stand unbalanced guitars.

I'm not sure though other than the SG Standards. The Specials, Futura, and faded models might have thicker necks/bigger headstocks which would still make them unbalanced.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 19, 2014,
you are making me want another SG Standard cheesefries...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
An SG Special w P90s was my main axe for 20 years. She saw a lot of action and I literally wore her out. Some get distracted with SG balance issues but I never did. It felt good, the neck was fast and it had a bold voice. I much preferred stage work with that than my 335 which always feels bulky to me. Great tone though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 19, 2014,
I played with nothing more than a LTD Viper-500 (really heavy guitar) for 5 years or more, so I leaned to deal with the balance problem. My SG Standard gives me almost none problems, it's a very light guitar. Now, cheesefries says Gibson got rid of that problem with the new ones. Those are great guitars, they are not super high end instruments but they have what it takes to be a pro instrument. Great tone and very good feel.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
I played with nothing more than a LTD Viper-500 (really heavy guitar) for 5 years or more, so I leaned to deal with the balance problem. My SG Standard gives me almost none problems, it's a very light guitar. Now, cheesefries says Gibson got rid of that problem with the new ones. Those are great guitars, they are not super high end instruments but they have what it takes to be a pro instrument. Great tone and very good feel.

I have to admit that when I tried my first SG I used one of those slick black free fender straps and when I let go the guitar rotated headstock first toward the ground slowly. Might have been a different story with a proper strap!
SG is a good choice and honestly many new strats aren't very heavy. the perception they are is usually based on the late 70s models which did way a ton.
^i find for my back, MIM strats don't feel very heavy, but MIA strats can be.

I've moved over to mostly acoustic electrics because of it.
but yeah, i guess, semi hollows, thin bodies, parkers or the female geared gibsons (vixon, godess, ect)

also there's a super light yamaha model, and some ibanez guitars that are super light, if willing to try other brands.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, I had a HW1 Strat (very good guitar for the price if you ask me) and it was pretty light.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Straps don't fix SGs that are neck heavy. I keep hearing the "conventional wisdom" that always seems to be "get a big thick strap with a really sticky underside," but the truth is, your shirt ends up coming out of your pants in the back and you change your fretting hand technique because you have to support the neck. That's a kludge.

Modern SGs are easily as likely to be neck heavy as older ones. Nothing got fixed. Some are neck heavy, some aren't. But they're the poster boy whenever anyone asks what a neck heavy guitar feels like. They can be fixed. We did so for a friend of mine. We drilled out a hole near the bottom strap button and had a healthy chunk of tungsten rod packed in then covered with a mahogany plug and finished to match the rest of the guitar. Job done. But now you have a heavier guitar <G>.
Quote by Perverockstar69
Well, I had a HW1 Strat (very good guitar for the price if you ask me) and it was pretty light.

when i think of a MIA strat, i don't think of highway 1 strats.
weren't those those were typically mexican parts assembled in CA?

I mean i know they changed the specs a few times, and i might be dating myself, but i remember them being lighter than american standards/deluxe

^ok good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by jj1565
^i find for my back, MIM strats don't feel very heavy, but MIA strats can be.

I've moved over to mostly acoustic electrics because of it.
but yeah, i guess, semi hollows, thin bodies, parkers or the female geared gibsons (vixon, godess, ect)

also there's a super light yamaha model, and some ibanez guitars that are super light, if willing to try other brands.

I have mia strat american traditional for 14 yrs and its heavy as stone! I think its becoz of the poplar body. I got rid of ibanez coz of the neck profile just didnt seem right, and epi sg coz of the unbalanced body. Now im gonna buy one thats versatile , good for gig and recording and safe for my sore back.
Quote by dhenia182
I have mia strat american traditional for 14 yrs and its heavy as stone! I think its becoz of the poplar body. I got rid of ibanez coz of the neck profile just didnt seem right, and epi sg coz of the unbalanced body. Now im gonna buy one thats versatile , good for gig and recording and safe for my sore back.

for "humbucker" tones i plug in a taylor t5.
light as air. (like 6lbs?) not exactly mean toned though.

i've looked at chambered, semi hollow, thin bodied,
googled light weight, everything.
it's hard to find an electric less than 7 lbs that suits my style.

i suggest you try the PRS, but really just walk the pavement, pick up every guitar in the shops to find your perfect fit.

edit:
i believe the old the "epi ulta" is lighter than typical lps. if you want to trade in the sg.

also, there are some 7 1/2 lb US masters sport skinnys that look REALLY nice. but i've never found one to try.

oh also, if you can find them, an old Fender Aerodyne strat, is probably lightweight enough, for example, less than 7lbs here.
http://vintagefenderjazz.com/ultra-rare-fender-aerodyne-strat-in-vintage-white-2/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 19, 2014,
Look for a used Gibson SG Goddess they are a bit smaller than the regular SG and made for women players. They also had a LP goddess and I think a V goddess.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i've looked at chambered, semi hollow, thin bodied,
googled light weight, everything.
it's hard to find an electric less than 7 lbs that suits my style.

What's your style?

[quote="dspellman
Modern SGs are easily as likely to be neck heavy as older ones. Nothing got fixed. [/QUOTE"]

sure... whatevaaa you say. Since 2013 they just took weight off the neck and headstock. And obviously that does no good
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
sure... whatevaaa you say. Since 2013 they just took weight off the neck and headstock. And obviously that does no good

I've got one sitting here right this second. "They took weight off the neck and headstock." Where, exactly?
Okay, the T5 weighs in at around 5 lbs 10 ounces.
The Holdsworth at around 5.1 lbs

Another guitar you might look at is the Les Paul Supreme. It's spendy and a bit blingy (though you can find used ones in nearly perfect shape at around 55% of the new price), but it's also surprisingly lightweight (it should be, it's largely hollow inside).

And while we're on the subject of Les Pauls, take a look at the Les Paul Axcess if you can find one; the neck is scarfed, there's a tummy cut, the body is thinner than a standard LP and it's weight relieved as well. Again, quite light for an LP (and yes, they're available with OR without a Floyd Rose)

The Carvin DC 127 averages 7.3 lbs (but you can pick woods that are even lighter).

The Parker Fly is down around 4.5 lbs.
Parker's a brilliant suggestion.

Also, it's not USA, but it's Japanese and every bit the quality of a US-made instrument. Yamaha RGX-A2, coming in at just about 5 lbs.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Parkers are awesome- I want one myself- ergonomic, light, well made, killer axes all around.

But they ARE 3x the price of some of the more mainstream semihollow options of similar mass and quality out there, including semi-custom/custom guitars.

Don't know if these appeal at all...

Not made in the USA, but made in Canada:
http://godinguitars.com/godinpremierep.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godin5thavenueuptownp.htm

American company making guitars in Korea, but all inspecting & setting up done in Detroit:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/40U-5706.htm
https://reverb.com/item/64217-reverend-manta-ray-hb

haha wouldn't be a recommendation thread without danny mentioning Godin.

But they're awesome guitars so it's okay
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
haha wouldn't be a recommendation thread without danny mentioning Godin.

But they're awesome guitars so it's okay

Wait, what? No Fernandes? Must be sum heavydamsuckahs.
Fernandes doesn't offer any semihollow or hollowbody options.

Page 1 of 2