I want to put a sideways humbucker (probably a jb) into the bridge pickup of my 96 Mexican fender strat. Can I just buy a pick guard for that or do I need to make my own? Thanks.
Humbuckers need 500k pots. I think single coils use 250k. Are you going to rewire everything also? Do you need to route out the body to fit the humbucker into it? The pickguard might be the easy part of the conversion.
Seymour Duncan prefers 250k pots for the JB and 500k for all his other humbuckers. It should be fine with your stock electronics.
there's probably a slight difference in the tone if it's slanted, yeah. that's why the original strat and tele pickups were slanted, for the tone. granted most slanted humbuckers were done after the fact to make the polepieces match up as Explorerbuilder said, but it'll have the same effect on tone as in a strat or tele... slightly brighter treble strings, slightly darker bass strings. Now, it may well be very subtle, it's not going to be a night and day difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 457undead
No reason really, is there a sound difference between slanted and not?

Yes there is a difference in sound. They were originally slanted to help line the pole pieces up on FR equipped guitars before trembuckers/F-spaced pups were created. But as a side effect it does change the overall character/tone of the pup/guitar. Some people like the tonal difference and some people don't. I for one like it myself.
^ Yeah. Normally they're angled towards the bridge at the treble side, but I'm guessing that's just tradition from strats and teles.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?