I'm going to Long and McQuade (Canada's GC) in a couple days, and I think I've narrowed down the amps I'm interested to these two, the Mesa Boogie RA-100, and the EVH 5153 100 watt. I've heard good things about both, and my budget is about $2000. And just for ease of buying, I'm only looking new.

I'll be primarily playing metal, with elements of thrash, punk, prog-hard-rock, post-rock, and post-hardcore. Sorry if its not a lot to go off of. I'm also more of the lead player in the current band I'm in, (theres another guitarist) with the aforementioned metal elements, but I have another that gets together every summer that covers many rock subgenres. I'm pretty sure either amp could do this fine, so now worries here, right? I also like to dabble into post-rock, and am trying to implement the ambient-ness into the first metal band mentioned.

The other guitarist in the band plays through either a Crate GT1200, or an all tube (modded, no SS preamp) Line 6 HD Valve, or whatever its called. He usually has lots of gain going when playing heavy, or has a ton of reverb going when playing clean. As it is now, its hard to cut through the mix, albeit its with my little Engl that doesn't quite keep up, but I need to cut through over him and a very aggressive drummer.

What I'm mainly looking for are pros and cons of each. This is going to be my first time dropping some serious cash on a new amp, and I want to research this as much as I can.

My favourite influential bands would be Karnivool, Russian Circles, Alexisonfire, Opeth, Steven Wilson's projects, and Thrice.

Hopefully this makes sense, because its late. Thanks again guys. Sorry I've asked this question so often as well.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I suppose out of the two the EVH. It should be way more flexible. I don't think the high gain of the RA will cut it for you.

But from your post I'm getting a strong Mesa Rectoverb or maybe a Tremoverb feeling.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Have tried a 5153 a couple of times, great amp suitable for just about anything and has more gain than just about anything. Cons? I guess the amount of tubes (8! preamp tubes + 4 power tubes).

Don't really know much about the RA.

You might also want to look at a JVM/DSL and maybe a Rockerverb & Thunderverb but they might not be so suitable for what you play.
Out of those two I prefer the Royal Atlantic easily. The 5150 III I played sounded harsh and I could not dial it out. However, that was at a store where I didn't have my pedalboard with its assorted tricks. It wasn't a bad amp by any means, and I have heard bands (with guitarists far better than me) use it to great effect.

I have played a RA more extensively and every time I did, I left the store pondering what I could sell to afford one. Everything about it just sounds rich and full of harmonic detail. Nothing harsh at all. I played everything from clean stuff all the way to death metal and it handled it impressively.

I suppose the 5150 III might have a little more "cut" in a stock configuration so I'd really recommend demoing one, since you mentioned that's what you need. However, that's what a Tubescreamer is for. I didn't get a chance to try one on the RA, but it was one of the few amps I've played that I thought didn't need one at least for the purposes of tight metal riffing. For leads I could see a TS coming in handy.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You're an indecisive dude TS

The RA gets my vote, I think that it will get everything you want, you may have to coax it a little with an EQ pedal and OD (something I recommend for every amp pretty much), but I think it would do it for you.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Dementia, I know, I'm abaolutely terrible with this stuff, haha.

And Ippon, I'm nowhere near a GC in the US, and if they even did want to ship it to Canada, and get fvcked over by duty fees and the like, correct?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Royal Atlantic all the way man. If you want some specific info on that amp just ask me. Has been my main amp for a couple of years and I'm sold... The high gain WILL cut, hell, Thrice uses a Royal Atlantic so does Bill Kelliher and Mark Morton... The amp is really bold and has a nice and healthy amount of presence, if you are playing with another guitar player you should cut the mids a little so he blends in the mix.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I say the mesa.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.