Page 1 of 2
Theres a great Will Smith quote that i love that says:
"I've always considered myself to be just average talent and what I have is a ridiculous insane obsessiveness for practice and preparation."

Do you know, from interviews or other sources, about musicians (not only guitarists) that claimed they had little or no talent, and attributed thier success to hard work instead of talent?

NOTE: philosophical debates about whatever the drive to hard work is a talent by itself will just take this thread off topic.
I have no intention to find out. but Kurt Cobain was an average guy. it's just Nirvana as a whole that was good.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
sid vicious

but he didn't really succeed now did he
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by whywefight
I certainly hope Will Smith wasn't talking about his rap career

Dude his songs were legit!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool

about musicians (not only guitarists) that claimed.

Wait, there are other types of musicians?
98% of popular and not-so popular musicians today have talent.
Some just get slapped on with a shitty contract when they are young and get used as a punching ball for society by greedy people who get a lot of money out of the deal.

but there's as lot more talented people out there.. most of them just lack the dedication.
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Last edited by CrazyMatt at Feb 19, 2014,
In reference to the title, every band from the Britpop wave, especially the smiths.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I have no intention to find out. but Kurt Cobain was an average guy. it's just Nirvana as a whole that was good.

He wrote some awesome songs that spoke to a whole generation of people. He was that band from songwriter to frontman.
Quote by Baby Joel
Liam Gallagher

FTFY
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by whywefight
Yeah Kanye West has no talent whatsoever

None. Zero.

Ignore the lyrics and listening to the way he produces his songs, especially his first two albums. THAT"S how he got to where he is today.
Last edited by Josh100_3 at Feb 19, 2014,
Kurt Cobain is the first name that comes to mind and Kanye. A lot of the cookie cutter bubblegum pop stars too although I'm not sure if that's because of a lack of talent of because the record companies just force them to put that stuff out.
Quote by EpiExplorer
In reference to the title, every band from the Britpop wave, especially the smiths.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Bieber. Lorde. Gaga.

Oh, wait. It wasn't hard work -- it was a little something called "marketing".
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I think most of the bands that were big influences in terms of genres were "clever" and had great ideas rather than being excellent musicians.

Smiths, Babyshambles, Stone Roses, Joy Division etc etc were decent msicians but they excelled in their ideas and concepts brought to music more so.

Same with Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Neil Young etc.

Same could be said with The Clash, Oasis, Stones etc.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
inb4 berber

i hate carpets they have no talent
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by the bartender
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

┬──┬ ¯\_(ツ
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by the bartender
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm quoting this to see if even the table-throwing-creature is in Comic Sans.
It is.

Anyway, I think JohnnyGenzale has a point.
Quote by Baby Joel
Probably the Gallagher brothers, Dave Mustaine, and John Lennon.

Oh and Kanye West

I have to disagree with Dave Mustaine here...being a douche does not equate to lack of talent.
Slash often talks about how he isn't particularly talented, he just works hard.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Will.I.Am

The guy admittedly can't sing, but he's been successful and had plenty of top 10 chart songs as well as success in other areas. Then again he's created music that sells so I guess you'd have to say he has talent.

That Will Smith quote was more about natural talent though. He said some people are naturals at their craft, where as people like him had to work at it for ages to succeed. He's developed his talent.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
All of your favorite bands
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by djjr001
I have to disagree with Dave Mustaine here...being a douche does not equate to lack of talent.

But you agree with John Lennon? Noel Gallagher wrote some of the most iconic songs of the 90's. Him and Lennon both wrote songs that spoke to millions and millions of people on a deeply personal level (especially John Lennon) through carefully crafted songs and thoughtful lyrics. They weren't/aren't writing throwaway songs, they influenced hundreds of acts. If you're talking about guitar skills then okay, they were never Jason Becker, but if you, or anyone else suggests that if you write songs that speak to so many people, generation after generation over decades in such a way isn't a talent, what is?
Right so off the top of my head there is

-creative talent
--experimental stylecreativity
--popular/catchy style creativity

-technical talent
--technical proficiency a la weedily woo
--technical proficiency a la excellent rhythm
-TP a la stamina etc

-auditory talent eg pitch differentiation, understanding and/or feel of melody, harmony, progression etc

-motivation
--to write music for self
--to write music for others
--to write music to bone that one chick you dig

-lyrical ability if applicable

-a hook or aesthetic
--stupid suits or masks
--a genre blend
--hot as ****
--political shit about how horrible the world is

other shit I can't think of because stupid

Now it's really relative to what angles you view it from. Dylan Carlson isn't technically proficient in terms of complexity but his hold on rhythm and melody etc is built like a tank. Likewise he writes some incredibly simple, repetitive music but from the standpoint of that area of music and experimentation he's shit hot. From the perspective of writing for others/bone dat girl and accessibility he's a fish out of water.

Slash is technically proficient as a guitarist and follows a catchier more popular path with a lot of homogenization, and writes music for both, I imagine. But he's really damn good about it, and both himself and Dylan are highly motivated to keep up generally.

U2 is another example. So I'm told their roadies know their songs better than they do. Or how Chris Arp is a technical wizard equal to Paul Gilbert but he writes for himself, is inaccessible, has highly developed theory and ear for rhythm and melody, and has lower stamina. In mathcore he's kind of the figurehead guitarist. Outside of that general area of music he's an ear rapist. So when you review or judge a pop-punk album it's not really fair or logical to only place it next to Bach or Merzbow.

So unless it is something like One Direction/your typical boy band where the balance is tipped too far and the "levels" of different abilities are generally low it's not as simple as "no talent" because you'll have one group shitting on the noisy people and one group shitting on the generic pop shite.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Feb 19, 2014,
Miley Cyrus. Unless you count being a ho as a talent. Then yeah Miley Cyrus.
Never gonna give you up...
Ringo. He wasn't even the best drummer in the band.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 19, 2014,
Milli Vanilli.

Someone else wrote the song. A different set performed them.

They just were just two models that fit the image the Record Company was looking for and they hired them to lipsync to other peoples stuff.

Here, in the likely event a lot of your are too young to remember:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_Vanilli

See the "Media Backlash" for specifics.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Ringo. He wasn't even the best drummer in the band.

Where have I heard that before?
Quote by Mephaphil
Where have I heard that before?

From a direct quote from John Lennon when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Beatles quotes are awesome.

Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
From a direct quote from John Lennon when asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world.

I was joking. It's just an overused quote.
Page 1 of 2