Page 1 of 4
So, I got some work from school to do some survey, I know that these questions have been asked for many times, but this time I need a proof that I made the survey myself.

Okay so let's get to the main topic. Here's the questions:

1. What makes you love metal?
2. What makes you hate metal?
3. What is your favorite metal sub-genre?

I do appreciate anyone who'd like to contribute to this survey.

Anyway, thank you UG!
dont hate it. dont feel connected to it. so I rarely listen to it.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 19, 2014,
1. Provides something new and unique to the music scene, sonically speaking.
2. So much of it has that 'cringey-ness' to it that makes it so uncomfortable.
3. Sludge.
1. The energy.
2. When metal is mixed with fashion and 16 year old disillusioned "rockstars".
3. Thrash and progressive.
Nothing

It's shit

None
1: Some of the guitar work. But not shred.

2: The vocals of most metal bands I've heard, plus the lyrical content doesn't normally connect with me.

3: Whatever SOAD are.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

1. it helps me compensate for the lack of epic excitement in my life
2. half-assed songwriting
3. difficult to choose one...progressive black?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
1. its good mang
2. much of it is shit though
3. doom/death
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
1-I like the intensity, and i like it when a band mixes harshness with nice melodies.
2-There's a lot of elitism going on, and i find it a bit hard to take seriously.
3-Avant garde maybe?

Having said all this, i neither love nor hate metal, i mean, i like it, but it's not my favourite genre and i can see why some people dislike it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
1. melodic guitar work and solo's like in triviums "Gunshot to the head of trepidation" song

2. the grunting and screaming.... the**** dude... calm yo ass down niggah

3. bands like Children of Bodom, Metallica, bullet for my valentine, early trivium, Iron Maiden. (so that's like heavy metal or something I presume? I'm bad at sub-genres and i can't really care about genre names)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Feb 19, 2014,
The music

The fans

Mathcore/post metal stuff, or melodeath. I'm torn between both currently
1. Aggression and heaviness not usually achieved by other genres
2. Generic fan portrayals, the trends, the lyrics, the aesthetic among some genres
3. Drone, but I also venture into more standard sludge
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
What makes you love metal?
-The diversity that comes with it.

What makes you hate metal?
-Verb The Noun bands

Fav. subgenre?
-Don't have one
I WAS BORN
THE SON OF THE SON OF GOD
1) It used to be the variety of good bands in the genre that made it interesting, however I rarely listen to metal at all these days.

2) The fans are an issue: genre debates, elitism, ultra fanboys etc, but the main problem I find is that everyband is starting to sound the same thesedays. There's no innovation in 99% of the genre anymore.

3) Probably Djent (although this has the same problem as every other genre) or Progressive.

On a side note: If someone could get rid of my cynicism for metal I have nowadays with some good and interesting bands it would be most appreciated.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
1. it's energetic and exciting; the fact that you actually get to hear the instruments play prominent melodies or sections, and its fun to play, you aren't just stuck backing someone up all the time you can really have fun with it
2. over-use of screaming, and songs without form
3. Thrash and power metal
1) The music. Idk, its like asking why I love my parents -because they're my parents.

2) A lot of the fans suck.

3) Prog, but never in large doses.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by ProgFripp74
1) It used to be the variety of good bands in the genre that made it interesting, however I rarely listen to metal at all these days.

2) The fans are an issue: genre debates, elitism, ultra fanboys etc, but the main problem I find is that everyband is starting to sound the same thesedays. There's no innovation in 99% of the genre anymore.

3) Probably Djent (although this has the same problem as every other genre) or Progressive.

On a side note: If someone could get rid of my cynicism for metal I have nowadays with some good and interesting bands it would be most appreciated.

1. shiny, malleable, ductile, shiny, conducts electricity, sturdy, shiny

2. heavy, sometimes not shiny, gets too hot/cold

3. base metals
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jody97
So, I got some work from school to do some survey, I know that these questions have been asked for many times, but this time I need a proof that I made the survey myself.

Okay so let's get to the main topic. Here's the questions:

I do appreciate anyone who'd like to contribute to this survey.

Anyway, thank you UG!

1. Personal preference
2. Personal preference
3. I don't have any particular knowledge or feelings about metal sub-genres.
1. diversity in the music and community
2. annoying people with full body tattoos
3. metalcore
(I know, 2 and 3 contradict each other...)
Quote by jody97

1. The sound of distorted electric guitar
2. Modern affectations in new metal
3. Thrash
1. Driving drums and heavy, melodic guitars
2. Cookie Monster vocals and too much downtuning. You don't need drop A to be heavy.
3. Right now, symphonic power metal
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ProgFripp74

Yes I completely agree with the bolded sentence.
This is what really happen in my local scene. Many new technical death metal band came to the club each day, playing the same shit like the earlier act, not only the music that is similar, they also playing the same v-shaped ltd guitar, having the ultra similar lyrics, having the same pose for their band photo, same unreadable font for the logos, they all sound the same, same headbang, same death and cannibal corpse t-shirt, no originality.
Actually I have respect to whoever band that founded the electronic metalcore (or post hardcore) genre for being original, not for the rest of the band in the scope.

thanks for your contribution by the way
Quote by jody97
I have respect to whoever band that founded the electronic metalcore (or post hardcore) genre for being original

what
they mean stuff like enter shikari and metalcore with synths and wubs
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Like who else?

Shikari used to be proper #dece but no-one else really did it like them back in the day
1. The heaviness and grit
2. The growling and screaming
3. Thrash
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
1. I don't love it, it's okay, but I rarely listen to it
2. I don't hate it, I do hate the growling stuff, that shit is whack dog
3. I don't have a favorite metal sub genre
Quote by willT08
what

Lol it just my opinion, I have respect on them for taking risk by being original, but not for the impact they made.
^really not THAT original...

Quote by willT08
Like who else?

Shikari used to be proper #dece but no-one else really did it like them back in the day
rolo tomassi use synths to an excessive amount but yeah i dont know many

early ES was good. their earliest demos were awesome.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
1. What makes me love it? The energy, the technicality, the sheer size of the genre, the fanbase, the fact that bands like trying new things.

2. What makes me hate it? The assholes and elitists that plague metal forums.

3. My favorite genre? Black metal or death metal, but I like them all.
No I meant, what bands did you mean?

I mean, there's plenty of nobhead bands that have a copy of massive but not many that actually show any interest in electronic music. Other than Shikari, I can't think of one
1. The technical ability
2. Sifting through the shit to find the gems, c'est la vie. Also, people who talk about "the scene".
3. Metalcore
Last edited by AxeToFall at Feb 19, 2014,
1. The melodies that it can achieve and the vibe it can give off if done correctly.
2. How incredibly cringey it can be when the artists take themselves too seriously and how easily it can attract 16-year-old drama queens.
3. Fuck if I know.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
What I like about metal, The broad spectrum of tonal possibilities, the freedom to write anything you want, the diversity,the energy, the aggression the riffs.

What I dislike about metal. My local scene its nothing but generic metalcore and people with their wussy 6505's saying how brutal they are. My local scene has pretty muched killed my love of metal as a genre

Favorite genre, I'll say stoner atm.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
What i like about metal?The aggression and raw energy.Some of the lyrical themes can be really intresting.

What i dislike about metal?Some of it is cringy and immature.Too many bad genres.

Favourite genre?Probably Thrash or alternative.
Quote by willT08
No I meant, what bands did you mean?

I mean, there's plenty of nobhead bands that have a copy of massive but not many that actually show any interest in electronic music. Other than Shikari, I can't think of one

Well actually I don't really know who invented the genre, but I'm talking about (other than Enter Shikari) Asking Alexandria and Attack Attack!. I mean the first time i heard them I felt something new (and cool) or probably I'm the one who ******ed by calling this stuff new that time.
Page 1 of 4