I just picked up a Jackson Kelly KE3 - translucent red - with Jackson OHSC for $175 USD!

See Pics Attached.

The best I can tell this is a 2002, 2003 time frame model - Pro Series, Bolt-on, Made in Japan, Duncan Designed Detonators, Jackson Licensed Floyd - before they put Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz in this model. I picked this up while traveling (by car thankfully since this case is freaking huge - about 6 inches longer than the case for my Dinky) so don't have my setup to really put it through any paces so far.

Here's what I have so far:

Pros:

- $175 including Jackson case (and it's huge)!
- Made in Japan
- Body is in good shape with only minor paint dings on the back of the wings (better than most I've seen)
- The frets look pretty good, some minor wear that looks more like polished spots rather than divets.

Cons:

- She needs a setup BAD - Truss Rod is off - way too much bow, the action is really high for my tastes - the locking nuts weren't even on it so I'm reading this as the Floyd wasn't abused by the last owner.
- Duncan Designed Detonators - I have EMG 81/85 in my Dinky but wanted to try something with passives this go around. I've heard mixed reviews on these pickups but we'll see how they sound to me.
- Floyd - Never had a Floyd before but again wanted to give it a shot so for what I paid it's cool. I need to study the threads here and see if I can get it setup on my own. Since it needs so many tweaks (and the guy i bought it from admitted he didn't know what he was doing) I may have it setup professionally the first time and try to maintain on my own with string changes.
- Scratchy Volume Pot - Hopefully some DeOxit fixes this right up.

So I'm pretty stoked but won't know for sure until after it gets some TLC.
Attachments:
Kelly Pic 1.jpeg
Kelly Pic 2.jpeg
Kelly Pic 3.jpeg
Kelly Pic 4.jpeg
Kelly Pic 5.jpeg
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Nice score man.

Gotta adjust that truss rod and action right away shouldn't take you long. As for the Trem I wouldn't get to excited about the licensed Floyd you should ether block it or get an OFR. That is just my opinion though.

HNGD
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
I like that red. That's purty. Almost grabbed a nice kelly when I got my LTD.
And the licensed floyd is probably fine. It wouldn't be worth the money to put a "real" one on. My EXP-300 has a licensed floyd and I only have to tune it when I change strings.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Don't expect much from any duncan "designed" pickups. They are shit in my experiences.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Nice! Sounds like a pretty good price, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HNGD! Can't go wrong with a MIJ Jackson!

In case the previous owner didn't give you the correct tool for the truss rod, it's a 7mm socket. Had to do a bit of googling a couple weeks ago to find it out.
Thanks everyone.

I just made another thread as well but I found a deal on a set of Duncan JB/Jazz for $100 which is the same combo that the mid 2000's came with. The JB is the Trembucker version for the Floyd also.

Thoughts?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
HNGD I also got a Kelly a few weeks ago ( 95 Kelly Professional XL MIJ ) bought all new Jackson tuning machines, EMG 81/85 , rear cavity cover and trem bar , I bailed on the OFR and got that Ibanez I posted in the forum the other day. I can tell you from experience the SD pickups will not sound good in that guitar, had some installed in a 93 Kelly Professional STD and they sounded like poo! Nice axe man I know you'll like it!
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by metalmingee
Thanks everyone.

I just made another thread as well but I found a deal on a set of Duncan JB/Jazz for $100 which is the same combo that the mid 2000's came with. The JB is the Trembucker version for the Floyd also.

Thoughts?

Do you like the JB and Jazz? Captain Obvious to the rescue, of course, but that's the obvious answer Tons of guitars have JBs and Jazzes in them, assuming you're halfway close to any half-decent guitar shop it shouldn't be too hard to get to try those pickups. They won't necessarily sound exactly the same as in your guitar (plus you'd want to try them with your amp), but it should give you some idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the Jb and Jazz, they work well enough for me, but it's all subjective. $100 is an "ok" price used, I paid that for mine new.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)