Page 1 of 2
Didn't want to keep bumping up my previous thread which no one would bothered to look through again.

Let's say I've found a RM100KH with cab but with no tubes (bad???.. can't test?) for under $1k AUD... I know that the extra modules will cost more money as will a set of tubes but how good are these Randall Modules? It seems extremely tempting to have a Plexi, Mesa Mark and JCM800(s) in one amp or will the DSL do a couple of tones better than the Randall does any number of tones?

Is that price a bargain or is it fair considering it's probably 'outdated' i.e. maybe not company supported anymore? (not sure)
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 19, 2014,
The RMs are still being made AFAIK, they definitely aren't what I would call "outdated." Knowing what gear prices are down in Aussieland, I would say that is one hell of a price. The fact that you can't test it is a bit discomforting, I would try any way possible to get some tubes in it (even if you have to buy some beforehand) and test it out.

I think that if you want versatility, the RM will shit on the DSL. Not to say the DSL is a bad amp, but you can get a Marshall tone just as good (if not better) out of the Randall. Cathbard (a regualr here) has one and he is a pretty discerning guy when it comes to tone, particularly Marshall tone, so I would say that is a vote of confidence. I actually just ordered one yesterday, when I get it I will definitely be doing a NAD and you can see my impressions as well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yes I actually saw that thread and did a bit of looking them up because of it. I have been interested in them in the past, kind of forgot about them though.. well lo and behold here we are. It's not in the best condition, a couple of small tears in the tolex and a few scuff marks but generally like 80-90% condition cosmetically.

I'm not sure why it would be sold without tubes though.. either it's broke and he wants someone to take it without knowing or maybe one blew and he never bothered replacing them (???) The ad has been up since middle of december (maybe it's already been sold??) but edited 24th Jan.. it is like 75kms away though and ages out of the city, maybe that explains some of it too. Kind of a shame it runs 6L6s because I could've taken out the EL34s from my Bugera... lol.

I'll sell what he says in email reply.

As far as MTS vs DSL, any idea if the MTS can get that 'raw' sound of a real Marshall?
I haven't tried as many of the Marshall modules, but the few I have tried could definitely cop the Marshall flavor, even that raw edge you get from a cranked Marshall. It definitely is not a Marshall, I'll say that, but you have to take as more of a "inspired by" kind of thing.

The distance thing is a bit of a bitch. You may be able to negotiate with the guy if it has been up that long though, maybe he would be willing to get some tubes for and prove that at least the power amp works? You are definitely right to be suspicious, that is pretty sketchy.

Even with minor cosmetic damage it still seems like a hell of a deal, almost too good to be true...
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Kind of a shame it runs 6L6s because I could've taken out the EL34s from my Bugera... lol.

Pretty sure any of the MTS series can run 6L6s or EL34s in the power section...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
it's not too bad to drive, about 1 hour each freeway driving. it does seem too good to be true but who knows, these things happen very occasionally. It seems like the last thing he edited in was 'make me an offer' in caps so maybe he is willing to take a couple of hundred off the price. even for that price if the head is busted you still get a good cab with 2 V30s & 2 G12t-75s and 3 modules worth probably 100-150 each.

Will be good to hear what Cathbard says about modules vs real Marshall.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Pretty sure any of the MTS series can run 6L6s or EL34s in the power section...

oh wow really? if true awesome. prefer el34s anyway.
Which DSL, the JCM 2000 or the new one? If it's the new one it's not going to sound like a "real Marshall" despite being a Marshall xD.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
I disagree. The new DSL sounds remarkably close to the old one. They cut costs by sending it Vietnam to be made. If you like Marshall tones, get the DSL. If you want versatility, then the RM is superior.
They sound harsh and fizzy to my ears :/

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
I find all DSLs can be that way with too much gain and treble. Thats kind of their downside
The DSL does have a stupid amount of gain.I dont think I can take it past 6 on Lead 2 while jokingly TRYING to have as much gain as possible. They are also pretty bright. There are some easy mods to help that out, and a plethora of mods for the dsl. But damn does the amp sound good.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
the DSL 50 w/ a boost. One of the clearest high gain sounds I've ever had.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^^^

I've bought and sold many amps and have come back to the DSL50 4 times in the last 15 years. It flat out sounds great, easy to dial in (keep presence low or you get harsh/fizz), and can be had cheap. All mine were bought for 500 in mint shape. I just picked up a JVM recently and this might be blasphemy but... I still play the DSL more Might end up returning the JVM and getting a 5150 iii mini for more flavor in the arsenal.

The new DSLh sounds good. I like that that it has a better reverb and the power tubes are not pcb mounted like the old ones. I think it has some upgrades over the JCM2000 series. Maybe not as bright so it might not cut a mix like the old ones. But I haven't tried it in a band setting and since that is where an amp earns its salt I'm not going to make any presumptions. Seems like a nice amp so far
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 19, 2014,
I have a RM100 and the Marshall modules get you
very very close to the real deal to my ears and they
also handle all manners of tubes. Love mine.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
All this interest in the RM has me super excited for mine
I'm an old Marshall freak and I recently bought a brand new RM100 212. It rocks. I am running the Tweed module and a Mash-all+ from Salvation mods.. It rocks and I have a Markus module ordered from the same people.
I could have afforded a DSL and I know how to sort them out but I went with the Randall. It's a seriously good amp.
As for the power tubes, you can run pretty much any octal power tube you feel like. You can even run a random assortment at the same time. Each tube has its own bias adjuster and a probe point for each tube - on the back of the amp!
So you don't need any of this "matched set" nonsense. Whatever tube you have laying around can be tossed in, biased up individually and away you go. You just look up the bias current for that particular tube in the manual and do it. Any idiot can bias up a Randall. They're farkin brilliant.

And btw. The Tweed module is fantastic. Fender cleans if you keep the gain turned down but when you crank the gain it's instant Neil Young Crazy Horse shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 19, 2014,
Looks like I will consider the Randall then

I got an email reply and he said it is fully working he just pulled the tubes to put into his live head.

Can always still get a DSL later on too. I did hear the Markus module from salvation on their website and it sounds pretty damn close to real Mark tone.

Plexi + hot rodded plexi, mark II/III/IV and JCM800 + hot rodded JCM in the same amp??

I'm in heaven

some of the modules look amazing, bogner xtc, I saw friedman does a brown eye one and there is even a hiwatt one to switch between gilmour style and jimmy page's custom hiwatt.. epic!
I'd definitely make the trek dude, as you said, even if it is broken you could make your cash back on it real easy. I understand Marshall prices aren't quite as ludicrous, even if it isn't Marshally enough you could probably turn it over for a quick buck and get the DSL.
This seems to be more up my alley I think, just didn't know there was one available for such a good deal. DSLs are common as anything anyway so it's not like I wouldn't be able to get one at anytime. there's always at least like 5 on sale at any one time.
Once I get my Markus I'll have, Fender, Plexi, JCM800, JVM red and Mesa Mark in the one amp - without having to resort to modeling bs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Probably sounds better too.

Blackface
Plexi
JCM800
Mark
XTC
Hiwatt
Brown Eye

I'd imagine something like that for me

I read the Egnater ones have two channels and Randalls can only use the first channel of the Egnater ones but apparently you can send your amp into Egnater to accept both types, do they still do this mod?
No idea. But the RM100 has three channels even with Randall modules. When do you ever need to switch quickly between more than three channels? And things like the Mash-all can be configured to four (8 really because it has that JCM/JTM switch that functions in all four modes).
If you're just rooting around at home it's pretty easy to swap modules; at a gig, 3 is ample.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wouldn't need to do it for the extra channels, maybe just to have access to some more/different modules, but I guess you can probably get anything made the same with the randall ones anyway.

Just another question, do you think it's a little risky to take an amp like this on, say it does work perfectly but after a while it breaks down.. I heard Randall support isn't very good and I think they are discontinued.
I was never super impressed with any of the stock modules I owned with my RM4. Always wanted to try the Salvation Mods cause they sound epic in clips, but I could almost buy another amp for the cost of one of those
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
DSL DSL DSL! But I'm a bit biased.

Mine already had a full set of NOS glass inside for $500

If it aint working perfectly, don't buy it.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I was never super impressed with any of the stock modules I owned with my RM4. Always wanted to try the Salvation Mods cause they sound epic in clips, but I could almost buy another amp for the cost of one of those
Did you try the Tweed? The Tweed is an awesome module.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 19, 2014,
I wouldn't buy it if it had problems, but I'm just saying maybe Randall support isn't that good?

@matrixclaw good luck buying an XTC or Shiva for 400 :P

as for DSL well I still want that too
Tbh, support doesn't ever come into my thinking. I'm a tech. I broke something on it a few weeks ago, dropping it in a carpark. I just fixed it myself. We techs sorta look at the world a bit differently. I buy broken shit and fix it all the time but I tell non-techs what I just told you. The Randall is an American built, quality amp - but there's a lot of shit going on in there, they're MIDI capable and all. If it's working it will probably keep working; if it aint, tears.

Edit:
Btw, the DSL100 is a fine amp if all you want is a DSL sound. My favourite live tone of all time was done on a DSL100. But, make sure it was made after 2003. The earlier ones had a design flaw (an underrated bridge rectifier) that made them overheat like a muthabitch.
If you get one I can point you in the right direction to make it sound killer.
The RM100 is a beast that can be modified ad infinitum into other things on a whim. But if all you're gonna use is a Marshall module, get a DSL.

Gotta say too though, the RM100's power amp is incredible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 20, 2014,
Ok thanks for the advice, if I end up going for it and trying it out I will give it a solid workout to make sure everything is working.

I guess I'd be very happy with a DSL but the versatility of the RM100 to get not only Marshall, but hot rodded Marshall, Mesa, Bogner, Hiwatt, Fender tones etc appeals to me more. I can always get a DSL but this deal seems awesome, seems willing to sell for $900 maybe a bit lower and with a cab. A DSL by itself costs almost the same.

I was reading and some people say they all tend to sound similar or is that not true? I mean obviously with the same power amp they're going to sound a bit similar but if you use say a mesa one and a marshall one do they sound very different or kind of similar just different 'flavours'
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 20, 2014,
Yeah, that's a pretty good deal over here. You see modules come up on ebay. If you were patient and just checked every now and then for auctions with no bidding you could amass quite a collection for pretty cheap. Cheaper to get a Salvation module if you supply a donor module too. You save like $200.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheesefries
DSL DSL DSL! But I'm a bit biased.

Mine already had a full set of NOS glass inside for $500

Beautiful sir!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, that's a pretty good deal over here. You see modules come up on ebay. If you were patient and just checked every now and then for auctions with no bidding you could amass quite a collection for pretty cheap. Cheaper to get a Salvation module if you supply a donor module too. You save like $200.

I saw on MTS grailtone some of the regular stock ones sell for about $100 so yeah definitely save a bit there.

https://soundcloud.com/salvation-mods/salvationmods-51

just heard this... ****ing wow! lol

ok now this..

https://soundcloud.com/salvation-mods/sets/custom-3-mts-module

****ing ridiculous.. dead ringer!

this one is the best
https://soundcloud.com/salvation-mods/salvationmods-15?in=salvation-mods/sets/h-watt-mts-module
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Feb 20, 2014,
Jaded faith also do very nice custom modules.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
are the voodoo ones any good also?

anyways the guy will sell for $875, will see what happens.

full rrp of head + cab is $6245
Yeah, the voodoo ones are cool.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
any other words on the rm100? :P

I like to be very sure when I make a decision like this. right now I only feel about 60/40 between that and the DSL. maybe a bit more because of the good deal. though I haven't played a randall mts and I have played a DSL so there's a difference there too.
The Randall has a much bigger bottom end. I mean seriously, It tames ok if you don't push the bass up - but if you do push the bass up It has enough bass response to do the Recto thing with the right module.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Regardless I think going from an open back 2x12 to a closed back 4x12 with great speakers will be a massive difference too.

how do you compare your marshall module to your jtm45 clone?
The Randall 2x12 is a closed back cab. It's friggin huge. Same footprint as the top of a 1960A. And it weighs 40kg. It sounds massive for a 2x12 though because of it. This is the first time I've been happy with a 212 combo on stage. I've always run 6x12.

It gets a similar vibe on the plexi mode but my JTM45 is a pretty sweet amp. I built it. The plexi on an RM has a gain control still so you get more than a plexi. If you put the volume and master volume on 10 and use the gain control as your volume it does get a pretty good 1959 thang happening but not really a JTM45.
But really, at the end of the day, none of them sound like perfect replicas, but they do get pretty close, depending on the module. Way good enough for a gig. It has it's own vibe but it's a good vibe. I've played it beside a JCM900, Laney GH100 (into my own 1960A) and a H&K Switchblade and it kicked their arses. It has this real quality, hard to define edge to it that just tears through.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification