Ive been going out of my boss rc 30 looper into the guitar amp, and sometimes with the mic plugged into the looper using the xlr input. I would have thought this was fine but I've heard using a bass into a guitar amp was bad for the speakers, so I just wanted to check that there was no known issues (apart from lack of vocal clarity due to it not being specced for vocals) with using a guitar amp for singing?

1. Is it ok to sing through the guitar amp, with or without accompanying guitar.

2. Is it ok to use a -1 octave shift (from my me 50 multi fx pedal) through the guitar amp?

lodgi
I think its harmless but it doesnt sound very good. Guitar amp speakers are usually specifically designed for guitar. It'll sound thin and tinny. You can even use a bass if you're not cranking it.
Powered speakers can be hadpretty cheap, I'd suggest that.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
No problem in plugging in a mic if you don't distort the thing.
If you do distort the sound you get all kinds of unwanted feedback.
It's 0.k. to put a bass guitar in there, too, guitar aimed speakers usually are pretty damn though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd imagine it's fairly safe, since vocals are mostly midrange and highs, which is similar to a guitar... as long as you're not a super low baritone/bass, you're probably okay.

Why you'd want to though, I have no idea. It's going to sound horrible and you'll have to crank the amp up pretty high, since your amp doesn't have a mic preamp in it and isn't meant to take such low level sources.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
No problem, go for it. Guitar and the human voice share essentially the same frequency range from 80-1100hz and great guitar speakers like EVM 12L are also used in PA applications. In our very early gig days we couldn't afford a real PA so we ran through a rented Fender Twin for vocals. It worked fine, we got paid, onward and upward.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Just don't crank the bass up and keep it out of distortion.

I played bass, keyboard, and even used a guitar amp as a small karaoke box onetime. Has not caught fire yet! I found that the best low cost alternative if you can't use a proper PA system is to buy an old 200+ watt home stereo receiver from someone for like 30 bucks and hook a mixer to it with some cheap home stereo speakers. I once found a pair of cheap 15" technics 3 way tower speakers and a home stereo receiver for 60 bucks total and it gets loud and sounds good enough for a very shady rehearsal space.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 19, 2014,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd imagine it's fairly safe, since vocals are mostly midrange and highs, which is similar to a guitar... as long as you're not a super low baritone/bass, you're probably okay.

Why you'd want to though, I have no idea. It's going to sound horrible and you'll have to crank the amp up pretty high, since your amp doesn't have a mic preamp in it and isn't meant to take such low level sources.

The reason is i'm using the loop (has an XLR input with a mic gain knob) pedal to create the different parts of songs and vocals is one of them. For instance last night, I layed down some vocals over the top of the loop pedals built in drum machine, then added a simple bass line using a -1 octave shifter then added the guitar bit. So I need to use the guitar amp for vocals.

Thanks for the answers, good to know I can carry on doing this.
I have done it and it works good for jam and practice. Not the best sound but still very practical. Then there is a Fender PA100, 4 tube driven 100w channels that work good for most applications, oh, and it's damn cheap.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Perverockstar69
I have done it and it works good for jam and practice. Not the best sound but still very practical. Then there is a Fender PA100, 4 tube driven 100w channels that work good for most applications, oh, and it's damn cheap.
What a waste of a modder's dream. They're basically four Twins in one box. I'd love a PA100. The things I could do with one of those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification