Hello guys!

I need advice and some information about PA stuff.
Need to know, what mixers, speakers, mics needed for band practise.

Lets say, that we have room for practise. Drums are loud, guitar amps are loud but need to amplify vocal microphones.

Which mixer need to use, to have about 100W+ for mics? Also need some effects like reverb.

Analog mixer + power amplifier + passive speakers
or
Power mixer + passive speakers
or
Analog mixer + active speakers

What is the best way to amplify mics and add some effects?

What are good brands and mixers, what do you recommend?

Mixer like this for example:
Behringer Mixer
Can this mixer drive passive speakers or need active speakers? Or even better use this mixer with active speakers? Does it have reverb effects?

Cheers!
Personal preference: Buy quality and buy used at 30 cents on the dollar. Shure mics, Mackie or Yamaha mixers, JBL, EV or Yamaha cabs. Bands are always breaking up and selling off the gear. Help them to liquidate by picking up good used gear cheap. $600-$800 should get a decent practice PA used that was well cared for. Don't get too distracted by wattage or subs. All quality modern PAs are plenty loud enough for practice and you don't need subs for vocals. Plug in your ipod and listen to the sound quality. If it sounds good, buy it.

Not a fan of most Behringer or other low-end super price slashed mega super store deals. They don't sound so good and you have to buy twice.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Ditto the used stuff. My old band picked up a monster of a PA system from a bar that dropped it's live music section for next to bottom dollar. We had 2 15 inch subs we never even used. Sure, a couple channels on the mic inputs didn't work, but it was a 24 channel mixer, of which we used maybe 6.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Buy used.....for rehearsal this is what we use and is a good mix between quality and budget

1. Microphones, shure sm58 vocals
2. Floor monitors laney cpx 12 ( one each incl. drummer)
3. Mixer yamaha 01V ( I can not speak higher of this relatively cheap digital mixer)

Sure you can get a pa but floor monitors are superior and you might not need one each and can get away with chaining one passive to each active.

Shop around for your main vocal mic...an sm58 works just fine but can be a little muddy....I just picked up a Heil pr35 and am amazed how much easier it makes my life

If your in a small room instead of cranking volume look at getting some plastic around the drummer....this really helps.
Thanks alot, all of you. Very accurate information.
Yamaha mg10C should be good mixer?
Quote by BaDG0oD
Thanks alot, all of you. Very accurate information.
Yamaha mg10C should be good mixer?

Bullseye! Now find some Shure mics and quality powered speakers and you are golden. These would be killer at this price. They were $1200 new:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/4288852175.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 20, 2014,
You don't even need full p.a.

-Any vocal mic (Shure Sm58 why not)
-Powered speaker

Maybe get a vocal processor to add some effects if you want to.
And think ahead....this doesn't mean buying expensive but the biggest mistakes I've made is cutting corners..."I only need a mixer with 8 in"...Im now at 24 and the real loss was selling my new Mackie mixer to fund my used yamaha ;-)....what I am trying to say is think a little bigger and allow for growth.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Taz9
You don't even need full p.a.

-Any vocal mic (Shure Sm58 why not)
-Powered speaker

Maybe get a vocal processor to add some effects if you want to.

Yes, but vocal processors cost same as mixers and mixers have all those effects
Quote by Blackst4r
And think ahead....this doesn't mean buying expensive but the biggest mistakes I've made is cutting corners..."I only need a mixer with 8 in"...Im now at 24 and the real loss was selling my new Mackie mixer to fund my used yamaha ;-)....what I am trying to say is think a little bigger and allow for growth.

I actually have that Behringer 802 and I bought it for band practice and it works just fine. Be careful of the power cable it can break pretty easily. the 802 has no FX but it does have an EQ and 2 Xenyx mic preamps that sound pretty good. I used it live one time and it worked fine, it has a phantom power button which is a plus.

I would also get a set of powered speakers.

you can not go wrong with a Sure SM58. I also use a Senheiser e845 that is nice sounding and rugged for the price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I actually have that Behringer 802 and I bought it for band practice and it works just fine. Be careful of the power cable it can break pretty easily. the 802 has no FX but it does have an EQ and 2 Xenyx mic preamps that sound pretty good. I used it live one time and it worked fine, it has a phantom power button which is a plus.

I would also get a set of powered speakers.

you can not go wrong with a Sure SM58. I also use a Senheiser e845 that is nice sounding and rugged for the price

Does this mixer have Reverb effect? Or i need buy additional processor or something for that?
Becouse, yamaha mg102c doesnt have effects right?
Quote by BaDG0oD
Does this mixer have Reverb effect? Or i need buy additional processor or something for that?
Becouse, yamaha mg102c doesnt have effects right?

No there are no built in FX on the 802 or the Yamaha mg102c.

The Behringer Xenyx 1002fx is the cheapest mixer I can find with built in FX and it is $99 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No there are no built in FX on the 802 or the Yamaha mg102c.

The Behringer Xenyx 1002fx is the cheapest mixer I can find with built in FX and it is $99 new

I found yamaha mg82cx, this one is really good
Yeah, Yamaha makes some nice mixers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate