So, I'm a personal injury lawyer currently representing insurance companies, though in the past I've worked for injury victims. In the more distant past, I handled a lot of contract disputes, business litigation, and a little entertainment litigation and intellectual property stuff.

I'm getting more and more interested in transitioning my career into something I am passionate about, like music. It would be great if I could make a living as a musician, but that currently seems like a pipe dream. But maybe I could get into doing entertainment law for musicians or something along those lines. I took classes in entertainment law & copyright law in school because I thought I might be interested in that field, though I ultimately did not find a job doing that out of law school. I'm rusty, but could probably get up to speed reading a few books or taking a continuing education course.

But before I make that kind of transition, I'm kind of wondering about the market from the view of musicians. I expect the vast majority of us on here have not gotten to the point, musically, where we needed to hire a lawyer. But if anyone here has experience with that, I'm curious at what point did that happen -- how big do you need to get, what kind of prospects lead you to make that decision, and how do you select your lawyer, do you even care if the lawyer knows anything about music? Or is all this left to your agent/manager? I used to know a lawyer from my school who became a music agent, so maybe there's a lot of overlap there, too.

Well, if anyone has info on this and can share it, it could be a resource for me, or for anyone else curious about this.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Why could'nt you just stick with what you got now and on the side music?
Whats goes around must come down
Because (pardon the term) chasing ambulances is probably eating away his soul.

I would think you would need to try and hook up with a firm that does entertainment law. At least until you start to get some networking done and get some clients going. There's a pretty big jump from amateur to real professional. Pretty sure most labels have a stable of lawyers already, and the ones that don't probably contract with one of these firms.
Just speculating, really.

My old band actually was talking to a lawyer at one point. We had self produced a couple albums and were bouncing around the midwest then. I think we did decide, however, that we were not at the point we needed to spend what little money the band had on it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Feb 19, 2014,
I've had to sign contracts before releasing music before but because I wasn't really interested in what happened to the profits or the music after I didn't bother to get a lawyer involved.

In the future I'd definitely look to have one check contracts and I think mosts musicians should do that, so there's definitely a market out there. And this isn't huge musicians, there's probably millions of producers in EDM putting out music on small labels that would benefit from having someone quickly look over a contract, and also labels that would like to have one drawn up.

I'm starting a label myself and I don't have a clue about how to write a contract for the artist I'm releasing first so I'm gonna just re-work one I've signed in the past and hope he never asks
Quote by willT08
I've had to sign contracts before releasing music before but because I wasn't really interested in what happened to the profits or the music after I didn't bother to get a lawyer involved.

In the future I'd definitely look to have one check contracts and I think mosts musicians should do that, so there's definitely a market out there. And this isn't huge musicians, there's probably millions of producers in EDM putting out music on small labels that would benefit from having someone quickly look over a contract, and also labels that would like to have one drawn up.

I'm starting a label myself and I don't have a clue about how to write a contract for the artist I'm releasing first so I'm gonna just re-work one I've signed in the past and hope he never asks

Sounds legit... 10/10 would sign
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by krm27
So, I'm a personal injury lawyer currently representing insurance companies, though in the past I've worked for injury victims.

I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but...

You're a terrible person.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

The Pit was the wrong place to ask...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK