So a few weeks back I got the idea in my head that I wanted to start doing some home recording. I already own an interface, and a couple of mic's, so I set it all up, and gave it a go.

The result was just a horrendous sound of mush . I was just having a terrible time trying to get a reasonable tone, and even then it was impossible to block out most background noise.

I tired making some barriers, but then never helped much. My basement where I am recording is unfinished, so the acoustics are terrible. Ideally I will be building a sound proof room down here in the near future to do my recording, but that doesn't help me right now.

I stumbled upon some other threads about guy's building a box within a box, which would house a speaker. You can then mount a speaker inside box, with a mic, put the top on to seal it up tight, and crank the amp with getting noise levels just above talking volume, outside of the box!

So that's what I did! I built a big box, then I built another one about an inch smaller on all dimensions. I then placed the smaller box inside the bigger one, and sealed them together tight with a couple of bottles of spray foam. Then I built a top, and cut a baffle to hold the speaker. I mounted the baffle into the box by putting a strip of wood on either side of the box, with a couple of l brackets to screw the baffle in place.This allows the baffle to be taken out just by undoing a couple of screws. This makes swapping the speaker easier.

I got a couple rolls of project insulation and laid it out in the box. I then took an old bed sheet, and cut a section out to staple into the box, to hold the insulation in place. I done the same thing to the lid. This little bit of insulation actually made quite a difference with deadening the tone coming out of the box.

Last thing was tho throw a couple screw in on each side, so I can string a couple of bungee cords to help hold the lid on tight.

The only thing left for me to finish on it are to add quick connects to the speaker jack wires, get a little more sealant to seal some of my shitty cuts and give it one last coat of paint.

I wanted to do a couple of demos with a mic inside the box, using my usb interface, but sadly my interface decided to stop working . If I manage to get it working, I'll post some clips of a mic in the box.

Here a video to show how quiet the box keeps the amp. I start off with the amps (Jet City JCA50H) master at 4 (I set it around 4-5 for regular band practice with a live drummer). I then push it up to 6, and finally 8!! The amps pre-gain was on 3 the whole time. I got a Eminence 16ohm C-Rex in the box right now.

I'm pretty impressed with how quite this thing is keep my JCA, and I've got high hopes for how how it will sound once I get a working interface, and can get a mic setup in that baby!

http://youtu.be/MnHvkDP-zrs

Materials List:

- 2 sheets of 1/2 pine plywood - $60
- 3 rolls of project insulation - $12
- 3 cans spray foam - $15
- 20 L bracket brace - $15
- Speaker - Already owned
- 1 Old bed sheet - Free!!
- Wood Glue
- Bungee cords - $4
- Screws - $3

So it cost me about $110. I would have spent around $200 to buy something similar, so I did save myself a little bit. It was also fun to make!

Cheers!

SP

EDIT:

Got my interface working. Here is a quick demo I did with my 85' MIJ Strat thru my JCA50H into the iso box with a C-Rex. Don't hate on the sloppy playing

I'm going to do some clean demos later, and maybe post a new thread. I see quite a few threads regarding the Jet Cities clean capabilities. I think its time to put the myths to rest

https://soundcloud.com/red-guitar/iso-boxtest-1-strat
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Feb 20, 2014,
Quote by Ippon
Sweet! Do a demo with HBs.

I'll post some with p90's and HB's, if you're interested. Just give me about 5 mins to have a little toke of inspiration , then another 60 to upload the videos to youtube
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H