I just sold my Orange PPC212OB and I want to upgrade to a very good 4x12. Budget is not a problem but I want iWeber speakers (Silver Bell and Gray Wolf, both ceramic with hemp cone).

Any recommendations?

I'm between Orange PPC412, Mesa 4x12 Traditional and Emperor (these guys can make my own with those Weber I want) but maybe you guys can give me another option.

I know the first two have Celestions but I can sell them...

The cab is for my RA100

Thank you

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 19, 2014,
Splawn cabs are very nice, as are Diezels. Hard to find, but Mills Acoustics made some really really nice stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'm personally really fond of Randall cabinets. I use one with my Hughes & Kettner Switchblade and it sounds monstrous! Solid construction, not overly heavy.
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
Have Avatar make you a cab(speakerless) with whatever options you want, and just add your own speakers. You won't have to bother with selling anything that way. Plus they sound great.

http://avatarspeakers.com/
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
Have Avatar make you a cab(speakerless) with whatever options you want, and just add your own speakers. You won't have to bother with selling anything that way. Plus they sound great.

http://avatarspeakers.com/

+1 Nicely built cabs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Orange and Mesa both make killer cabs. Though my favorite has been a Diezel 412FL. I just like front load cabs a lot though. Fryette's Fat Bottom is also awesome.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
add up how much it would cost for either a mass production new or used, and sell the speakers.

or buy an emperor if they will use those speakers.

or buy an empty cab which would not likey be cheaper than a empty cab and a few hundred in speakers would be more expensive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 20, 2014,
4x12 cabinets tend to be pretty similar. As long as you're getting something done in birch ply, there's just not much difference other than the color and the brand name slapped on the front.

Avatar, Lopoline and even some of the lesser-known carpenters that put these things together for some of the big names are all good choices.
Why not 2x12? Just curious.

My 4x12's have been a Marshall 1960a and a Vader 2x15 (which is basically the same size or bigger than most 4x12's).

My 2x12's have been a Vader 2x12 and a Splawn 2x12 (with small blocks).

I'm liking the 2x12's a lot more nowadays. Easier to lug around and they're what I record with now.
My Mesa and Randall are both soild cabs.

The Mesa is as tight as a nun, and the Randall just booms with the 115 on bottom
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by bdof
Why not 2x12? Just curious.

My 4x12's have been a Marshall 1960a and a Vader 2x15 (which is basically the same size or bigger than most 4x12's).

My 2x12's have been a Vader 2x12 and a Splawn 2x12 (with small blocks).

I'm liking the 2x12's a lot more nowadays. Easier to lug around and they're what I record with now.

I just sold it yesterday, I'll buy another one in a couple of years because they are so practical but right now I want the 4x12.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
My Orange weighs almost 115 lbs with no casters. That is a pain in the ass to move.

You can get a Splawn cab empty new for 475 and customize the tolex/grill cloth. I think they are taller, wider, and deeper than orange too if you want that to go that way.

I think Orange cabs are much better than Mesa. From my Mesa forum days the majority over there believe it too

Go Emperor, Splawn or Orange and forget Mesa.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 20, 2014,
Quote by Perverockstar69
I just sold it yesterday, I'll buy another one in a couple of years because they are so practical but right now I want the 4x12.

But....you're not really explaining why you want or need a 4x12 instead of a 2x12. Aside from you just want one. You see?

Are they cooler looking and much more professional looking? Absolutely.
Will they make anymore than a 5% difference in the way you sound? Nope! Especially once you get mic'd up for a gig or at practice with your own PA.

I don't mean to try and squash your point, but you can at least enlighten us why you want a 4x12 other than "just because". I mean, the difference between a high end 2x12 and a high end 4x12 from the same brand, same speakers, can be upwards of like $400!

EDIT:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectCab212H/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectCab412SL/

A quick example, so only $350 in this case

EDIT2: Oh, but then shipping is free for the 2x12, and an extra good chunk of change for the 4x12. So yeah, after shipping and taxes: $400+
Last edited by bdof at Feb 20, 2014,
No, they move more air and the freq response appeals me more, yes they sound different.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 20, 2014,
That's a fair point. It's a mild difference, but tone junkies like us have our exact preferences.

What genre of music? My guess is metal, but do you have an ideal style/genre or band you'd like to sound similar too? Also, knowing your tuning(s) would help. Choice of pedals, etc.

It all factors in I suppose
Yes sir, I play blues, jazz/funk, alt rock, hard rock and specially sludge and different kinds of metal. I play in dropped D, 1 whole tone down and dropped C.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Yeah, there is about a 3db difference in sound level, going from a 212 to 412.

I do agree that a 412 just has a better response, and I do prefer the tone. That said, I usually gig with a mesa 212, just because its a super tight sounding cab, and is pretty easy to lug around. Its still king on the heavy side though.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Just popping in to say I get the 4x12 thing. I prefer the bass response as well.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
ENGL 4x12 cabs are absolutely amazing and indestructible. I support also the other recommandations taht have been made.

If you are going for high-end, you cannot really miss your shot, the speakers in the cab will make the biggest difference.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Do any of you guys have tried or listened to an Emperor? I just have good references about it but that's it.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Do any of you guys have tried or listened to an Emperor? I just have good references about it but that's it.

I've heard one but not in direct comparison to another cab, and on an amp I was unfamiliar with, to boot. FWIW, they consistently have been rated by fold here as a step above Mesa, Orange, and other big players.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And they are cheaper...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich