Whats your opinion on p-90s I am building a super strat and I have a humbucker and a orginal neck strat pickup and I am thinking of installing a p-90 soapbar in the middle I know pete townshed played lot of sgs with p-90s and so did Tommie lommey I play mostly the who led zeppelin and hard rock and sometimes clean stuff so do you think p-90s fit my style? and if so what is the best p-90 for under 100$ used?
Thanks.
Last edited by elijahadams20 at Feb 19, 2014,
I really like the tone. It's got that pure chimey clean tone and a really nice bite when driven into higher gain. Both of my vintage guitars have em and the tone is so expressive. The only downer is finding yourself on a stage with cheapie lighting dimmers that cause hum. I can roll off between songs to minimize it but it's pretty obnoxious sometimes. The same is true with my Tele so I always bring a SC guitar and a HB guitar to an unknown venue. Everyone should have a P90 somewhere in their quiver of guitars.

On a Super Strat I would probably use the P 90 at the neck position, standard SC in the middle, and HB at the bridge. Food for thought. I've never used an aftermarket P90 so no help there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Personally I think they're very over looked. They have a unique tone to them but can still border on humbucker or single coil type tones depending on how you EQ your and and other such things.

Personally I only play a P-90 goldtop and and almost entirely satisfied for what I do, which is blues/classic/hard rock. I've got plenty of videos on my youtube channel (link below) if you'd like to check out some P-90 tone.
Yes, it will fit your style.
I agree with Cajundaddy, though -- i'd put the P-90 in the neck position.

GFS has pretty cheap P-90 pickups, and they're nice: link
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
P90's rock for slide too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd go with the P90 in the neck, single coil in the middle and bucker in the bridge position.

For my money, the best real P90 is still the Gibson P90. Surprisingly, they haven't changed it much over the years. Some of the boutique winders have gotten out of hand with them. Lollar, for example, has underwound them trying to make them less noisy, and I think they've emasculated them. Same with the Fralins (noiseless); they're just too polite. Most of them are trying to reduce the typical P90 noise.

Best noiseless I know of is the Kinman. It's faithful to the original, but eliminates the noise. Spendy, though.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I really like the tone. It's got that pure chimey clean tone and a really nice bite when driven into higher gain. Both of my vintage guitars have em and the tone is so expressive. The only downer is finding yourself on a stage with cheapie lighting dimmers that cause hum. I can roll off between songs to minimize it but it's pretty obnoxious sometimes. The same is true with my Tele so I always bring a SC guitar and a HB guitar to an unknown venue. Everyone should have a P90 somewhere in their quiver of guitars.

On a Super Strat I would probably use the P 90 at the neck position, standard SC in the middle, and HB at the bridge. Food for thought. I've never used an aftermarket P90 so no help there.

But could I buy a bridge p-90 and wire it as a neck pickup so it sounds trebly like a bridge pickup?
Quote by elijahadams20
But could I buy a bridge p-90 and wire it as a neck pickup so it sounds trebly like a bridge pickup?

Bridge pickups sound trebly because of their position in relation to the scale length of the guitar. They're overwound because strings at the bridge don't oscillate with the same amplitude as they do in the neck position. All you'll have is a loud neck pickup.

If you're going to go down this path, you may look into a P94, which is a humbucker-sized soapbar. Your Strat body may not be routed wide enough to take a true P90.

Here's a recommendation while I'm at it:

http://www.sdpickups.com/specialty.shtml
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 20, 2014,
+1 to all the above. Unfortunately I do not have a P90 equipped guitar right now, which will change soon. I love the sound of p90s. They can get he right amount of dirt and clean up really well. I love a P90 in the neck position.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Got some P90 axes in my sights right now, and am having a custom done with a neck position HB-sized P90.

But F.Y.I., the Fret-King Super 60SP is a Strat-style guitar with a P90 in the bridge. (I have the HB version of that guitar, and like it.)

Were I shopping for a sub-$100 HB-sized P90 to put in something, I'd start looking at RailHammer's latest:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Railhammer-Tel-90-Bridge-Pickup-J04107-i3536458.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Railhammer-Gnarly-90-Pickup-J04105-i3536456.gc

I believe this Tesla P90 is a HB-sized one as well.
http://www.teslapickups.com/?products=opus-2
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 20, 2014,
Gibson P-90 pickups were the original "dirty, rude and nasty" pickups when played through the right amplifier. These days, there are so many shapes, sizes, and configurations of pickups using the "P-90" name that it has become very confusing. I like the originals, but not many of the new "pretender" P-90s. As for what they cost on E-Bay or some such place used, I could not say. I do not see a lot of them offered for sale, because the people who have them usually bought the guitar for those pickups in the first place.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
for a nice p90, I would go with bgpickups. Hand made in the US.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
dude if you dont play metal, or heavier hard rock, like modern hard rock, P-90s are friggin awesome. really cant go wrong. and they do make some really heavy sounding p-90s, but if you want the humbucking and humbucker response perhaps you just need a humbucker.

you know much of the famous pink floyd recordings were done on a les paul gold top with p-90s right? brick in the wall. p-90s.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
P-90s are pretty excellent. I tried my friend's Deusenberg Starplayer TV and loved the neck P-90 and I also thought a Les Paul with P-90s I played was pretty happening. I was even able to get some pretty snarly high gain through a Mesa Boogie Mark V, but the cleans and crunch sounds were the real ticket with those pickups
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5