I recently purchased an '08 G&L Comanche. I was reluctant to pull the trigger because of how divided people appear on the advantages/disadvantages of the z-coil pick ups. I can report (as many can attest) that they are not Strats, but rather, something capable of replicating Strat-like tones, but also are somewhat enigmatic, in that they can also produce gibsonesque sounds, with a little tweaking. Once I get around to it, I will post some pics, as the guitar looks more like a museum piece, than an everyday player.

I wonder if any of you have made similar assessments, or whether my findings are biased by a desire to justify the purchase? I am loving the fit/finish and tone capabilities and have yet to run into any limitations with the z-coils (although I do find it disconcerting that there are no aftermarket replacements, if I was so inclined). I would reiterate that if you are looking for a strat, buy a strat, but the Comanche is not meant as a substitute, but more of an evolution that Leo envisioned as a natural progression of the fender line. I would lastly mention that the dual fulcrum tremolo is extremely versatile. Since the acquisition of my third G&L guitar, my previous fascination with fender guitars has all since abated. After I pick up an S-500, I will start on my PRS quest. Cheers!

I would love to hear if anyone has had experiences with this esoteric guitar (either positive or negative). With so many tone options, I have found that I actually have to adjust the tone controls, instead of cranking them up to 10, as I did with previous fender/G&L models.
The Z-coils are a lot more full than Strat pickups. They capable of hitting Strat tones just fine, but their natural sound isn't exactly that of a Stratocaster, and they're not supposed to be. I've owned 3 ASATS, an SC-2, and I still love my Legacy. I would agree with you that they are indeed Evolutions, not replicas. I'm a G&L fanboy, so is another guy on here named Fumble Fingers. Check out that link danny gave you, that's to the G&L Thread on here.

You should also check out www.guitarsbyleo.com. The guys there know everything about them.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I love my Comanche !! ..... Comanche's have a bath tub route so switching pu's will require a new PG other wise no problem , but why would you want to switch them bad boyz ??..... On my Comanch I did just recently installed a Will Ray bridge pu , it has 1500 more windings than a Comanche and sounds great by itself ..... it's not a strat but can make strat like tones , it's much more than a strat in my book , I like the expander switch too , one of my favorite positions is the neck and bridge pu's sound great together
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You will find a great many like-minded souls here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546485

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I fell in love with G&L when my first fender started to have neck/truss rod issues and didn't want to hold its shape. It was not an expensive guitar, but it left enough of an indelible impression, as to seek another fender-esque guitar, but one that was more robust. Quixotically, I picked up a G&L legacy, oblivious to the G&L provenance and loved the sound. I have picked up a couple more along the way and have never fully trusted the skunk striped fenders, since. I am sure others will attest that my experiences are spurious, but the correlation between inferior goods has remained (even if an isolated experience).

I have never had any problems with my legacies. I retired from actively playing electric guitar, years ago, but every time I pick up one of my legacies, it is still in tune (although for the uninitiated, not properly stringing a G&L can be disastrous, if you do a lot of bends, the dual fulcrum tremolo system is very fickle and requires precision to maintain). Even switching from 10's to 11's or downtuning a half step requires careful adjustment.

Notwithstanding these known "issues," I have really enjoyed my G&L's and hope the Comanche becomes equally endearing. It is definitely capable of making noise - but the spectrum of tone goes from obscene to sublime. I have found in my limited experience that, unlike a strat where you crack up all the tone knobs and leave the switch out of phase between the neck and middle pickup, I really have to fiddle with the setting to approximate the tone that I am used to, but have also been able to enjoy many other tones that are notoriously absent from a normal strat style guitar. As I alluded to earlier, it is almost like having a strat that can tele and Gibson, as well.

I have no aversion to Fender, btw. I have lots of fender stuff including, two twins and reverb deluxe. I love the mystique, yet some of the savor may be blanched by the appearance of corporate ownership, but the legacy and pride of ownership in using replicas of the equipment played by so many legends and guitar heroes, is impossible to ignore. I don't wax nostalgic for the good old days, but there are some musical products, once built to stand the abuses of rockers, that appear to be manufactured, as throw away consumables, now a days.
i personally would rather own one than a strat. buy it!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Chad Gladstone

I have never had any problems with my legacies...

...I have really enjoyed my G&L's and hope the Comanche becomes equally endearing.

i'm sure you'll love the Comanche just as much.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.