If you're a Deathcore lover, please don't read this!

I gotta say... I'm 16.
And I wanna avoid making or producing Deathcore when I'm so good at playing guitar.

I've read this blog: http://www.thatsnotmetal.com/2011/04/deathcore.html
I actually wanna find an article from professional death metal guitarist or something but I can't find one.

So yeah, guys, can you tell me the differences between Death Metal and deathcore? Is that blog correct?
That blog shows very similar opinions to my own about deathcore (or any metalcore in general), but honestly I don't really care any more as long as I don't have to listen to it. The main differences in death metal and deathcore are the hardcore punk influences and the breakdowns in deathcore.

And honestly, I don't think you should try to avoid a certain style of music for any reasons but your own. Just write music that you enjoy. The music you listen to has a huge effect on the music you write, which is why I think it's very good for a musician to listen to a lot of different styles. The trick is not just listening passively, though that's nice as well, but to really listen to the way the notes are moving and the way all of the different instruments work together to achieve different effects.

What really helps is actually learning to play the songs. It helps develop your ear a lot to try to do it by ear one note at a time, or one phrase at a time, but there's nothing wrong with looking up a tab.

Anyways, I guess the point was that what you enjoy listening to is a key factor in the kind of music you enjoy writing. If you enjoy listening to deathcore and listen to it a lot, then you're probably going to enjoy writing it.

Also, professional musicians generally don't write articles about how much they think a certain style of music sucks, otherwise the professionals would all be trapped in the same kind of flame wars that go on in youtube comments. I've learned as I've gotten older to just ignore music I really dislike, unless asked for an opinion directly.
If you really care that much just avoid drop tunings and break downs, instead use lowered standard tunings and solos, make it sound scary and intense and you'll probably be playing death metal
Deathcore - way too many generic bands with nearly identical sounds to count, very few unique bands, rely heavily on a cookie cutter image in music videos and album art, BREAKDOWNS, following trends is bad. Very basic guitar parts when compared with many death metal bands (Necrophagist, later era Death, Atheist, old Cynic, Nocturnus, and other tech death, but the guitar parts in regular death metal are generally more complex than most deathcore.) Also lyrical themes where Death Metal often touched on religion, politics, spirituality and social awareness, deathcore is mainly about girls who ****ed over the lead singer. Deathcore is a trend it will die out in time... but if you like breakdowns go ahead. The main thing I dislike about deathcore (and metalcore) is the fanbase, it's like the emo kids got sick of their mcrs and fall out boys and moved on to metal.

Death Metal - I'll just leave some band names and albums for you to look into

Classic Death Metal
Death - all albums
Possessed - Seven Churches
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated (really the only albums I listened to not the biggest CC fan, I know I'm a false metalhead now, lol)
Morbid Angel - all albums
Obituary - first three albums
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Deicide - Deicide, Once Upon The Cross

Technical Death Metal (also known as Progressive Death Metal)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, Elements (Jazz fused with Death Metal = awesome)
Cynic - Focus (their newest two albums are also good but they are more of a Jazz-Fusion/Prog band now)
Nile - all albums (Egyptian Themes fused with some disgustingly brutal DM)
Suffocation - all albums (their use of breakdowns inspired deathcore, the use of said breakdowns deathcore has cliched)
Nocturnus - The Key (one of the few death metal bands to use keyboards, amazing concept album)
Necrophagist - all albums
Opeth - all albums (their first two were more Blackened Death Metal, but all their other albums aside from Damnation and Heritage are Death Metal fused with prog)

Melodic Death Metal (If you are more into harmonized guitars this is for you)
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
Carcass - Heartwork, Surgical Steel
In Flames - The Jester Race - Clayman
Arch Enemy - All albums since Wages Of Sin
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I like both genres, from the low breakdown heavy stuff to melodic and progressive death. Even some technical stuff. It all comes down to preference, and opinion is opinion. If someone offered me Oceano or Whitechapel, I'd like it just as much as Meshuggah,Scar Symmetry or Carcass.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

Technical Death Metal (also known as Progressive Death Metal)

Just wanted to say this one is horribly wrong. Just because something is progressive doesn't necessarily mean it's technical or vice versa. Opeth who are a highly progressive band aren't technical, nor would I say Necrophagist is progressive, despite being very technical.
Thanks everyone for giving me good replies.

@The4thHorsemen
tbh, I've never heard of Metalcore until like 6 months ago or something. Yeah, probably I can avoid it if I listen to Death Metal a lot.

I did search stuff about Death Metal. KerNeL_KLuTcH said "Death Metal often touched on religion, politics, spirituality and social awareness". Also Death Metal usually mentions about death.

Oh, and btw, that girl is spinning in both direction. It's some kind of an illusion or something. (watched this in TV :P )

So... Death Metal also has crazy guitar solos. Looks like I need to be patient and start practicing. Trying to learn a song - Crystal Mountain from Death.
I know I'm not on that level yet. But I wanna learn the easy parts.
kill a cop kill a cop kill a kill a kill a cop
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by lyingapart
What do you guys think is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA5bF9BeTKc

I think it's Death Metal

definitely Deathcore.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
But the song doesn't uses the typical Deathcore elements ... 0 pm riffs, stakkato breakdowns, mid-high fry vocals, rhythm figures, etc
Last edited by lyingapart at Feb 20, 2014,
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
definitely Deathcore.

Though not terrible kind. Emphasis was not on the breakdowns and such. I would propably classify it as both Technical Deathmetal and Deathcore. Both genres I do not really like and understand. Techdeath is often just riff salad with no clear structure and completely devoid of atmosphere which I consider important.

Anyway, TS compare that song to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALuQHpmI98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCRTaoG39I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7XLcagmmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21B8W_yHJHA

And here where it gets difficult sometimes Slam deathmetal vs Deathcore. First is Slam. Like Deathcore its very percussive but its not deathcore. Latter is Deathcore which cross over to Death metal territory. BTW, honestly one of the few Deathcore songs I actually like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=657rUVgyA98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzEtxuwaj7Q

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 20, 2014,
Quote by The Wildchild
kill a cop kill a cop kill a kill a kill a cop

Yeah, KerNeL should add Morbid Angel - all albums except Illud Divinum Insanus.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Illud Divinum Insanus is the only good Morbid Angel album.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Kepulix
Illud Divinum Insanus is the only good Morbid Angel album.

Heathen! Grab him!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Lol at the stereotypes thrown around in this thread and the sentiment of "I want to avoid playing x music because of the image". I can only imagine you coming up with a riff you really like and scrapping it 10 minutes later because it turns out it's melodic hard metal deathcore instead of progressive melodic black metal hardcore.
Quote by lyingapart
Can you name modern death metal bands or is all the new stuff deathcore in your opinion?

How modern? For me stuff like Trauma and later Decapitated is modern death metal. New sound but its still good old Death metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4pd5Z5nrKs

Shitty Youtube version, makes it sound nasty when the real album sounds super clean and tight. But then again this is early 2000 stuff so its propably not modern for you.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Milan999
Lol at the stereotypes thrown around in this thread and the sentiment of "I want to avoid playing x music because of the image". I can only imagine you coming up with a riff you really like and scrapping it 10 minutes later because it turns out it's melodic hard metal deathcore instead of progressive melodic black metal hardcore.

He is 16. We all have gone through the purist stage at that point.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
This thread gave me smallpox
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.