I've recently joined a band and started playing live. I play guitar for about 9-10 yers now and I usually don't play standing up. I'm fine when I'm soloing but quite uncomfortable when I play rhythm, any possible tips?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
play more often standing up and try rasing your strap.

I don't like the idea of rising the strap too much, because we play metal
Quote by guitarpro2play

This made me laugh so much hahaha, have you seen Glenn Tipton? his guitar's high and his in ****ing Judas Priest, anyway the only way to get better at it is to play standing up, it's that simple
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
This made me laugh so much hahaha, have you seen Glenn Tipton? his guitar's high and his in ****ing Judas Priest, anyway the only way to get better at it is to play standing up, it's that simple

I've seen people having their guitars low as f*ck and still, they can play fine..
Quote by guitarpro2play
I've seen people having their guitars low as f*ck and still, they can play fine..

Maybe you are not one of those guys? Dont be mad so quick, without finding your OWN way you wont progress even a little bit. If you are asking for help, try to be open for recommendations.
Quote by guitarpro2play

so I'm guessing you said in your first week of playing guitar you said **** learning anything or playing chords I'm just going to play like paul gilbert right away because I'm awesome.

basically the same logic
Quote by guitarpro2play

This is silly. You really want to sacrifice playing well for having your guitar lower to look more "metal"?

You've got two options:

1) Sit down with your guitar and adjust your strap so the guitar is in the same position as when you are sitting. This will mean you will raise your guitar quite abit, but the benefit is that you will be able to play ANYTHING you can do sitting down when standing up.

2) Be stuck in the mental attitude you are now and practice through it and hope you get used to it before you get carpel tunnel or a strain injury. (Just pointing out, number 2 is really bad advice, and you will likely hurt yourself, but that is the attitude you are showing us right now)

Just because other people do something doesn't mean that's the right thing to do. Marty Friedman is an amazing guitarist but i would NEVER EVER encourage someone to imitate his right hand technique, cause they will likely hurt themselves.

I hope you take this advice to heart and don't do something stupid. I am speaking from experience since i got a straining injury years back that prevented me from playing for half a year. Raise your strap and play well. Look up to players that do stuff because it works and that they play really really well, not because it looks a certain way.

Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is spot on.

I thought about the whole "low playing" look being cool until I tried playing like that. Felt very uncomfortable for my wrist having to arch up so much.

My strumming point is right at my waist line. Know why that's a popular spot? Because it's comfortable....and not because it looks cool.

But back to the main point, just start standing up more, dude. It's two completely different styles of playing and you should be efficient at both imo
Quote by Badmotorfingers
so I'm guessing you said in your first week of playing guitar you said **** learning anything or playing chords I'm just going to play like paul gilbert right away because I'm awesome.

basically the same logic

Mm, nope! I'm not that kind of person. I know I'm good at something, and I also know I suck at something else
Quote by guitarpro2play

This is just... uuuugghhhh. I've commented on too many posts asking your exact question so i'm not even gonna bother arguing with you. Just listen to exactly what Sickz said and stop being a f*ggot

Quote by guitarpro2play
Mm, nope! I'm not that kind of person. I know I'm good at something, and I also know I suck at something else

Also that's the problem.. You are that kind of person and you just don't realize it.
Well, I don't find it too much of a problem playing standing up. I think it's easier than sitting.
You will have to get used to the different angle in which you picking hand meets the strings. You will probably also have to pull up the neck to not hurt your fretting hand. Strap length is not a matter of wrong or right, it's mostly a matter of aesthetic sense and balance. The risk of injury is higher so you have to observe yourself carefully. Some people can't make it happen for that reason. For most people it takes a lot of practice to perform standing up as well as sitting, if chest hight is aesthetically impossible for them. Find out for yourself.
Quote by Sickz
This is silly. You really want to sacrifice playing well for having your guitar lower to look more "metal"?

You've got two options:

1) Sit down with your guitar and adjust your strap so the guitar is in the same position as when you are sitting. This will mean you will raise your guitar quite abit, but the benefit is that you will be able to play ANYTHING you can do sitting down when standing up.

2) Be stuck in the mental attitude you are now and practice through it and hope you get used to it before you get carpel tunnel or a strain injury. (Just pointing out, number 2 is really bad advice, and you will likely hurt yourself, but that is the attitude you are showing us right now)

Just because other people do something doesn't mean that's the right thing to do. Marty Friedman is an amazing guitarist but i would NEVER EVER encourage someone to imitate his right hand technique, cause they will likely hurt themselves.

I hope you take this advice to heart and don't do something stupid. I am speaking from experience since i got a straining injury years back that prevented me from playing for half a year. Raise your strap and play well. Look up to players that do stuff because it works and that they play really really well, not because it looks a certain way.

Best Regards
Sickz

Option number 1 is the one for me. It also helps to sit with the guitar in 'classical style', meaning you sit with your legs apart and rest the body of the guitar between them. This puts the neck in the same position it would be in when playing standing up. Definitely the best option for me anyway.
Quote by Sickz

You should ask if you really want to work much harder to play well for having your guitar lower to look more metal.

I do. Most professionals I know do too
It's possible, look at fredrik thordendal - his guitar is pretty low. Just keep in mind that it will take way more effort.
baab
Raise the height, pratice standing up with raised height until it becomes easier, then lower it a little bit. Pratice till it's easy, lower a little bit; eventually you'll get used to it. Also, try changing the angle in which the neck is tilted, depending on what you're trying to play it might make things easier or harder.

Also, do keep in mind that playing with your guitar too low will probably hurt you. Also, depending on your height / build it can be easier or harder; if you're tall, long arms and long hands, even if you put your guitar pretty low you should still have nice reach; if you're short, have small hands... you should probably not try to lower it too much.

Again, don't try to play with your guitar really low from the get go. It comes with time and practice, and depending on what you play, it can become kind of impossible if you go too low.
Last edited by RicAndrade at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by guitarpro2play

When I see this, I somehow feel that person saying that must be under 15 years old. When I joined a band, a drummer told me that I HAVE TO play with guitar lower, because that's cool (???!!)
I just smiled, and said "no way". Because I see no point. If I am comfortable playing with guitar high, that's how it's gonna be. I suggest you the same
Quote by kimi_page
When I see this, I somehow feel that person saying that must be under 15 years old. When I joined a band, a drummer told me that I HAVE TO play with guitar lower, because that's cool (???!!)
I just smiled, and said "no way". Because I see no point. If I am comfortable playing with guitar high, that's how it's gonna be. I suggest you the same

If i was in any band that told me that i would actually leave the band.
Quote by bdof
Sickz is spot on.

I thought about the whole "low playing" look being cool until I tried playing like that. Felt very uncomfortable for my wrist having to arch up so much.

My strumming point is right at my waist line. Know why that's a popular spot? Because it's comfortable....and not because it looks cool.

But back to the main point, just start standing up more, dude. It's two completely different styles of playing and you should be efficient at both imo

This. I play with my guitar slightly above my waist line, and my straps are fully extended. I think if I wanted to play lower I'd have to have a special strap made or something. If I play acoustic is has to practically be mid torso to be comfortable.

Start at your waste line and keep raising it until you find a comfortable position.
Quote by vayne92
This is just... uuuugghhhh. I've commented on too many posts asking your exact question so i'm not even gonna bother arguing with you. Just listen to exactly what Sickz said and stop being a f*ggot

Also that's the problem.. You are that kind of person and you just don't realize it.

are you here to know tips or to say you know is better? Play low if you want, but don't look at other people, look at what is good for you
Quote by Jayerrr
Play low if you want, but don't look at other people, look at what is good for you

When it comes to many things in life, including most guitar related things, what is good for most people is quite often good for "you". I mean, those things are good for a reason for other people, after all.

If someone said "well, I like to tighten my arm as much as possible and pick from my elbow" you wouldn't tell them too just look at what they feel is good for them (in that case poor technique that will likely lead to injury) and just ignore what is good for other people (people that use good, and more importantly safe, picking technique).
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Jayerrr
Play low if you want, but don't look at other people, look at what is good for you

Look at what is good for you? Playing low is good for noone. I bet Billy Joe Armstrong for instance has massive MASSIVE back problems.
exactly. look at what's good for you. Because you'll notice that playing low is not good, don't
Practice playing guitar while standing every day and it'll come. I used to practice while sitting and it felt difficult to play standing now I prefer standing much of the time.
Quote by guitarpro2play

LoL. Really
It doesn't make you "less metal" to have your strap higher. Keeping your strap really low is just going to hinder your play and strain your joints. You can be plenty "metal" if you're a skilled player and you rock out. It's not about how long your hair is, how black your clothes are, how low your strap is, or how viking you look (though obviously there's nothing wrong with long hair, black clothes, and there's DEFINATELY nothing wrong with vikings).

The best advise I've had, and which people have said here, is to keep your guitar at the same position/angle sitting and standing. I'm sure there's a lot of great guitarists out there that keep their strap very low, but I doubt any REAL PROFESSIONAL does that without it being comfortable to them or knowing that it hurts their playing.
You should play more standing up than sitting down. Raise your guitar until it is comfortable to play then after each month try to lower your strap, until you are happy with the height of the guitar.
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by AmIEvil?
people have said here, is to keep your guitar at the same position/angle sitting and standing. I'm sure there's a lot of great guitarists out there that keep their strap very low, but I doubt any REAL PROFESSIONAL does that without it being comfortable to them or knowing that it hurts their playing.

Great Advice. I'd also add that having the strap on while sitting will put your guitar headstock closer to the ceiling. Making it easier to keep the fretting hand wrist straight.
Honestly this topic has be done to death and probably will still come up again and again in the future. Since no one can convince you that how you play takes precedence over how you look to the high school age crowd please follow these usually agreed upon steps into revealing your crotch to the preteen girls instead of hiding it behind that dreadful guitar.

Step one: start by sitting down and learn the desired song from this position and get it down pat, since you are probably playing blink 182 or green day this shouldn't take to long.

Step two: adjust strap so that it is at the same height as when you are sitting I KNOW I KNOW JUST HEAR ME OUT. now practice the song until you can play it at a level you like (skill wise not volume, no they actually aren't the same thing)

Step three: slowly lower the guitar strap little by little and practice the song to the best of your ability with as little as pain possible while doing so until you eventually can play the desired song at ankle level.
Quote by guitarpro2play
I've recently joined a band and started playing live. I play guitar for about 9-10 yers now and I usually don't play standing up. I'm fine when I'm soloing but quite uncomfortable when I play rhythm, any possible tips?

There's no way around this :

1) practice standing up
2) raise your guitar strap
best if you upload your picture playing the guitar standing... then we can see whether have enough metal or not..
So let me get this straight..

Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist) isn't metal because he has his guitar above his d*ck?

/facepalm
Quote by guitarpro2play

All about the look or the sound?

Here we are and you are concerned about playing while standing, so why worry about how high you hold the guitar?
If you play really well, no one will care the guitar is in your armpit.

As far as doing it, just playing standing - it is muscle memory you need to work. It will just take time.