Page 1 of 2
http://mentalfloss.com/article/55140/10-japanese-travel-tips-visiting-america

Someone translated a Japanese advice column. I guarantee that it's interesting. I broke down laughing at the second one.

Here's my favorite one:

6. KNOWING HOW TO USE SARCASM IS A MUST TO COMMUNICATE WITH AN AMERICAN.

If you put your bent middle and index fingers of both hands in the air, you are making finger quotation marks. It means you do not believe what you are saying. You can also say, "or so called."

There's a Russian one as well. In case you didn't notice it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/54461/4-russian-travel-tips-visiting-america

Everything is the same as ours, only with far less booze. Bring something sporty - ball, badminton, Americans are certainly fervent fans of these things.”

This one just feels deluded and... Russian. But still cool
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 20, 2014,
all seems pretty accurate outside of the car one
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Seems pretty spot on

Car one seems weird but I have no idea what driving is like in Japan
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
But isn't anyone else amazed at how dumb cultural views are when seen this way? Like putting your hand on your mouth when laughing? Or what you wear? How unimportant they seem to be in the face of just living a happy life? This stuff can put a lot of strain on people when they should be laughed off.
Quote by TunerAddict

The car one is pretty accurate if driving in Japan is anything like driving in China, actually.

And given the area Japan spans compared to its population... I'd say it probably is.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Feb 20, 2014,
From the Russian one

"3. On Socializing With Americans

Short Version: Americans are delicate buttercups by Russian standards, so be gentle."

You gotta wonder what socializing with Russians are like if Americans are delicate buttercups by comparison...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
But isn't anyone else amazed at how dumb cultural views are when seen this way? Like putting your hand on your mouth when laughing? Or what you wear? How unimportant they seem to be in the face of just living a happy life? This stuff can put a lot of strain on people when they should be laughed off.

no
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Seems pretty spot on

Car one seems weird but I have no idea what driving is like in Japan

Americans drive better than most of the rest of the world. The Brits are close once you get used to the wrong side of the road thing.

Quote by Kensai
From the Russian one

Short Version: Americans are delicate buttercups by Russian standards, so be gentle."

You gotta wonder what socializing with Russians are like if Americans are delicate buttercups by comparison...

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by WCPhils
no

Sorry, I didn't phrase that in a language you'd understand.

You guys are SO smart following all these AMAZING "social" "customs". So edgy please tell me more

Quote by Kensai
From the Russian one

I love how it gives advice on how not to be a creep.
Quote by Jackal58
Americans drive better than most of the rest of the world. The Brits are close once you get used to the wrong side of the road thing.

You mean the correct side? 500 years ago when you're riding down a road you'll be wanting to keep your sword hand between you and someone coming towards you, so best to stay on the left Why break the tradition?
As an English person, visiting the US was a strange one purely because of the etiquette.

Its fairly common here when speaking to absolutely anyone outside of business to 'share complaints' on an equal level, because if its one thing we can all find in common with each, its suffering. We don't usually see this as a sad/mood changing thing, its more like rapport building. On the other end, when I tried this in America, it threw off the conversation entirely and the people I talked to got incredibly awkward.

I also noticed that even people who don't know each other will politely but forcefully exchange a 'Hey, how are you' in a close proximity, and they never expect a response, but in England, saying that essentially means you want a full on chat out of it. That also made the Americans get awkward.

Quote by Kensai
From the Russian one

I often found American conversations to be particularly 'untouchable' in a way. Nobody really wanted to discuss anything that wasn't going to keep the decorum to a, I guess, comfortable level. You could discuss the horrible flooding we're having over here with no trouble, despite how many people have lost their homes and all that awful shite, cuz its about the discussion rather than the focus on the negativity. Mentioning that in America will make the conversation swiftly or subtley move on to something else less touchy. I imagine also, that when we're referring to friends with insults (for example, 'EY GARRY YOU WANKAA, LOVE YA M8'), its usually fine within certain communities/age ranges/parts of the country, but the only place in America you'll hear that is online, where they really just want to insult you and nothing else.

tl;dr, americans are weird and the 'softness' assumption is a legit observation.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I've had a few Russian friends and their mannerisms can definitely seem rude / pessimistic to some.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Both of those seem pretty close to the truth to me...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by TunerAddict

Petty much. I don't know where the hell he was driving.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
lol, americans and sarcasm
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Japan sounds awful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by rich420
You mean the correct side? 500 years ago when you're riding down a road you'll be wanting to keep your sword hand between you and someone coming towards you, so best to stay on the left Why break the tradition?

No I mean the wrong side. What part of wrong side do you fail to comprehend? If I meant "correct" side I would have typed "correct" side. But I didn't mean "correct" side which is why I typed "wrong" side.
Blame Napoleon.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I love the one about taking"liberal arts" courses on the weekends. lol
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Hey do you hate laughing and relaxation? If so, visit Japan!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
This is somewhat accurate. Especially the free time thing. Women don't really cover their mouths when they laugh though, but they don't unhinge their jaws when they laugh so they don't need to.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Sorry, I didn't phrase that in a language you'd understand.

You guys are SO smart following all these AMAZING "social" "customs". So edgy please tell me more

no you get it now
___

Quote by The_Blode
Japan was a cool place, but definitely pretty different. We had a black guy with us and you could tell it was a pretty rare occurrence. He definitely had more than a few younger kids stop and stare at him.

It was also weird because you ALWAYS felt like you were in the way. Walking down the street, on the subway, in a restaurant. Pretty much anywhere, and it got to be a little unnerving after a time. Really makes you more aware of your surroundings. And yes, some of the drivers were definitely garbage there, saw people get bumped at crosswalks more than a few times.

Vending machines in Japan are ****ing great and a lot of the sodas have less carbonation. Plus you can get hot drinks and such out of a lot of them too.

Conversing with people was always pretty awkward, because you're in a different country where you know the culture is quite different. Plus there's usually at least a bit of a language barrier, since most Japanese don't know much English and most tourists only know a bit of Japanese.

It was just like visiting any other country that's vastly different than your ownthough. You try to be courteous and polite, but you inevitably do something that's silly or out of place somewhere along the line.
I don't know what they translated, but none of the Japanese articles they linked seem to match their "translations"...

One of the articles is completely about tipping, and another is about tipping and manners (how to call for someones attention and so on).

The third seemed similar, but the content was vastly different.

So, the "translation" was completely made up.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Feb 20, 2014,
I'm suspicious of the legitimacy of that article. The give no link to the original source. (They do have three links, but they do not have anything remotely resembling that list. 2 of them are about "tipping". ).

I'd be curious to see if that was from a legit travel site or (more likely) someone's blog or something or something the author just made up and claimed it was from an "actual source".

EDIT: damn it. That's what I get for responding without reading the whole thread. But at least someone caught on that it's probably bogus.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Feb 20, 2014,
They're right about #2 tho.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
The #10 about Japan is actually a huge fundamental difference between Japanese and western people. And it extends even farther.

In a classroom, the teacher asks a subjective question about some literature.

In America: One student gives a good answer. The next student gives a bad answer. The next student gives an OK answer. So on and so forth, but point being is that everyone is trying to give different answers, and if you were to give the same answer as a previous student, everyone in the class including the teacher would say "So-and-so already said that! Idiot!"

In Japan: One student gives an ok answer. The next student gives the exact same answer. The next student gives the exact same answer. Some brave student gives a good answer. The next student says the same as the first student. The teacher tells every student, "Correct. Good job!"

There is absolutely no value places on being an individual in this country. And I feel like this is directly related to the same point in #10, that not even trying something is perceived as better than trying something only to have it fail.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Their is no shame in failure man.

Unless of course you fail to make it to the bathroom in time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I love how they called a checkout line a "grocery matrix". Linguistic art, that.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Nelshizzle

dat top comment

In Soviet Russia, you keep tabs in browser. In America, browser keep tabs on YOU!
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Jackal58
Their is no shame in failure man.

Unless of course you fail to make it to the bathroom in time.

At your age we forgive you for that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by captainsnazz
americans really are delicate little buttercups and I'm glad other people have noticed

Tu vuò fà L'Americano, and you know it.
well its true. if we spot a foreigner not smiling then we kick his ass
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I took a couple classes in college on Intercultural Communications which covers a lot of these sorts of topics. It's an incredibly interesting subject.

One of my favorite topics is conversational patterns. It talks aabout how Americans are very direct and literal, while far eastern societies tend to be much more indirect and figurative speaking in a series of metaphors and dancing around the actual message, while Arabic cultures are sort of a combination of the two where they will start out speaking broadly, get closer to the subject, then go away with an anecdote and slowly focus in on their point using that pattern.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Page 1 of 2