View poll results: Thread title. Also, no joke option nah nah
Yeah technology should be utilized to maximize our potential
41 82%
Hell no, humans should stay natural
9 18%
Voters: 50.
Page 1 of 2
Basically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

Transhumanism (abbreviated as H+ or h+) is an international cultural and intellectual movement with an eventual goal of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities.[1] Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as study the ethical matters involved in developing and using such technologies. They predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".[1]

So I'm pretty sure that most agree that giving artificial limbs to people who lost them in epic battles or accidents is totally cool.

What if, in the future, Jimmy wants to cut his human legs off to get better, faster, stronger triceratops legs, so that he can beat people in sports easier, though? Or he wants to install a brain implant that instantly teaches him everything ever and improves his cognitive functions? Or he wants his mind transferred to an immortal robot body? Or an innocent young boy's body?

What if Jimmy can do all that because he is a rich bastard? What if poor ol' Gil wishes that, he, too, could afford immortality, but can't, because he was born poor and old?

tl;dr:

Lol I forgot to add a poll. Ah well
Last edited by Jyrgen at Feb 20, 2014,
It'll probably be separate events for people with augmentation and for those without. And yeah of course it will be a rich vs poor thing to have implants or other modifications. Welcome to the future, Johnny.

I don't think it should be banned or anything, though, but maybe regulated in special cases. The tecnhology offers a lot of potential for people, and I don't mean just people looking to get a boost in strength or whatnot. Injured people, people born without eg arms and things can get a new life because of this technology.

Quote by Jyrgen

Lol I forgot to add a poll. Ah well

You still can, in the lower left corner of the thread.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Feb 20, 2014,
Quote by Kensai
You still can, in the lower left corner of the thread.

Ah, cool stuff
Quote by Jyrgen
What if, in the future, Jimmy wants to cut his human legs off to get better, faster, stronger triceratops legs

You forgot Harder.

If people want to spend their money on the doing the Robot Rock, fine. If you want to put limitations on that as well as guns and other weapons you might be fine doing that, that'll be up to majority opinion Around the World. I say let us be Superheroes.

I'd love to have Night Vision. Just hope I don't get a Short Circuit.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
if this ever catches on, maybe sports will become obsolete! hooray!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It's only a matter of time, computers are tiny tiny devices these days, they're only going to get smaller and perhaps more biologically integrated.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Jyrgen

What if, in the future, Jimmy wants to cut his human legs off to get better, faster, stronger triceratops legs, so that he can beat people in sports easier, though?

Then he'll just grow up to shoot his hot model girlfriend because he "accidentally" thought she was a burglar.
Quote by Jyrgen

What if Jimmy can do all that because he is a rich bastard? What if poor ol' Gil wishes that, he, too, could afford immortality, but can't, because he was born poor and old?

How's this any different than what happens today?

If Jimmy gets lung cancer, because he's a rich bastard he can get any treatment he wants, and eradicate it eventually.
But if pool ol' Gil gets lung cancer, he dies old and poor in a filthy shack somewhere.

If you think the "poor people should get treatment for lung cancer" thing is being handled well today, then there's no reason to think the "poor people should afford immortality" thing wouldn't be either.
If you think that lung cancer thing is not being handled well today....well, then yes there are better things to worry about than if some rich guys can get immortal or not (primarily, avoiding death by lung cancer would be a start)
I'd use my jet pack attachment on the morning rush, my wings attachment to have a leisurely journey home and my ejaculate booster mod to snipe people I hate up to 5 km away.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Women of the future will be satisfied on a whole other level.
Last edited by seanlang01 at Feb 20, 2014,
My brilliant Khan reference goes unanswered.

balls
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by gonzaw
How's this any different than what happens today?

If Jimmy gets lung cancer, because he's a rich bastard he can get any treatment he wants, and eradicate it eventually.
But if pool ol' Gil gets lung cancer, he dies old and poor in a filthy shack somewhere.

If you think the "poor people should get treatment for lung cancer" thing is being handled well today, then there's no reason to think the "poor people should afford immortality" thing wouldn't be either.
If you think that lung cancer thing is not being handled well today....well, then yes there are better things to worry about than if some rich guys can get immortal or not (primarily, avoiding death by lung cancer would be a start)

Well I don't think that many countries have a good health care system right now.
Small implants and augmentations I imagine are an inevitability, but I can't see doctors ever agreeing to cut off limbs for no real medical reason.
Quote by iwannabesedated
Small implants and augmentations I imagine are an inevitability, but I can't see doctors ever agreeing to cut off limbs for no real medical reason.
$$$ There's a few.
Quote by eGraham
My brilliant Khan reference goes unanswered.

balls

All the Original series movies were bad and Khan didn't have nearly enough TV screen time to be worth the reputation.

O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by iwannabesedated

I think that's the least of problems.
Quote by theguitarist
All the Original series movies were bad and Khan didn't have nearly enough TV screen time to be worth the reputation.

Final frontier, the search for spock, the undiscovered country? Dude... educate yourself.

But I'll agree with the Khan part.
Quote by Jyrgen
Well I don't think that many countries have a good health care system right now.

then "there are better things to worry about than if some rich guys can get immortal or not (primarily, avoiding death by lung cancer would be a start)"
See: Mass Effect
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by captaincrunk
then "there are better things to worry about than if some rich guys can get immortal or not (primarily, avoiding death by lung cancer would be a start)"

Yeah absolutely
i would say yes, but if it happened to a great extent the rich would probably be the only ones that could afford it.
Quote by Kensai
I think that's the least of problems.

Final frontier, the search for spock, the undiscovered country? Dude... educate yourself.

But I'll agree with the Khan part.

frontier - dull false god story that's been played out in sci-fi for decades before. only thing enjoyable about it was exploring the character's life stories a bit

search for spock - hippy metaphysical crap trying to be deep with some minor threat shoehorned in to make it vaguely entertaining

undiscovered country - only watchable one, mainly because it felt like a story worth a film rather that either seemed like a 2 hour tv special with a big budget or was just a haphazard attempt at being 'deep'.

then again I'm a next generation guy who only gives original series any appreciation because next generation wouldn't exist without it.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I hope all the "yes" votes were trolling. I can't imagine much more bleaker future for mankind than one of technologically achieved transhumanism.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by theguitarist

Hey man, I enjoy Star Trek II.

That said, a more apt selection for this particular thread probably would've been

Quote by theguitarist

then again I'm a next generation guy who only gives original series any appreciation because next generation wouldn't exist without it.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Feb 20, 2014,
Egg Man get that huge image out of here wtf you be doing

Bt serially though, the original series is only appreciated because the net generation was amazing and pretty much made star trek accessible and awesome and people starring watching tv just for that show I mean where would we be without it

Honestly though, tng is the only reason star trek still eists
It wasn't that big, but I spoilered it just for you.

Even though TNG is like "the" go-to series, DS9 and Voyager are both pretty good. The former more than the latter. I still can't get into Enterprise. At least TOS is comical in its gimmicky nature.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Kepulix
I hope all the "yes" votes were trolling. I can't imagine much more bleaker future for mankind than one of technologically achieved transhumanism.
You should turn in your computer and the rest of the technology you use then, please. You know, for consistency and all.
Quote by seanlang01
You should turn in your computer and the rest of the technology you use then, please. You know, for consistency and all.
Your logic is terrible.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by theguitarist
frontier - dull false god story that's been played out in sci-fi for decades before. only thing enjoyable about it was exploring the character's life stories a bit

search for spock - hippy metaphysical crap trying to be deep with some minor threat shoehorned in to make it vaguely entertaining

undiscovered country - only watchable one, mainly because it felt like a story worth a film rather that either seemed like a 2 hour tv special with a big budget or was just a haphazard attempt at being 'deep'.

Frontier was awesome because of the brotherly main characters. I like the next generation better than the original series, but TNG doesn't come close in character relationship like they did in that movie.

Search for spock - Jim's son died you bastard show some respect

Undiscovered country - Great movies, yes and the feeling of having a bigger budet.
Thing is, if we don't maximize technology to its fullest potential, then bad people will continue to do so and we'll be defenseless against it. The best we can do is prolong the inevitable ****ing-over of existence by technology that shouldn't exist.
I think it's something everyone (except the people who use it out of need, for example someone with a lost limb) would be overall happier without and kinda wish it never happens apart from that. But regardless it's probably inevitable so we might as well do what we can with it and make it as good as we can.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Page 1 of 2