So ive been playing for like two years now...I don't have a guitar teacher, because I live in a small town, and there aren't any.90% of my guitar practise contains learning songs, i don't really do much exercises.A few months back, ive been learning more difficult songs, but now i thought i should try learn something easier...ive started playing blackbird by the beatles, but the reasson i play it alot, is because i want to make it sound enjoyable.I also want to learn play it without making mistakes, but i just can't.
I go to music school so i can hear when i play the phrases incorrectly and that annoys me...I tried playing it at slow tempo, and it got easier to play at the original tempo, but after a while, playing seems uncomfortable again.Should i play it at really slow tempo for long time( and how long?) or i get these mistakes just because i played for two years?
Im really confused right now, please tell me exactly what should i do, and sorry for my bad english
Play easier songs….. come back to Blackbird later.

or

keep working on Blackbird slowly, but be patient and allow yourself whatever time it takes to get down proficiently…… and keep playing easy songs. Don't be overly judgmental. it takes time…. .you'll get it down if you allow yourself to.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 20, 2014,
I also noticed im not very good at picking...well I can play "you shook me all night long"solo, my hands don't feel comfortable -.-
Quote by LolikasBolikas
I also noticed im not very good at picking...well I can play "you shook me all night long"solo, my hands don't feel comfortable -.-

That's the thing, you don't feel comfortable. Regardless of how long you have been playing you need to make sure that 1) you are comfortable and relaxed when playing. and 2) that you are not making any mistakes.

If this means playing one note every 10 seconds, so be it. Focus on playing properly and the ability to do so will come to you. As said in many threads here on UG, speed is irrelevant. Speed will come to you naturally, you need to make sure you are comfortable playing what you are doing, and then make sure you are doing relaxed economical movements. Small accurate movements.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Could be you need to change your sitting style. Do you play with the guitar on your left or right leg? This made a big difference for me in the beginning. I switched to "classical" style by resting it on my left leg. Your hand will be in a different position to the other way...so this might help.

But yes, you have got to go SLOWLY. This is the only way you will do it right in the end.

Don't get hung up on 1 song. You'll go crazy. Find a song that you can play all the way through easily. Something like "smells like teen spirit" or something. Or nearly any AC/DC song. What this does is build you confidence. Don't just start over because you make a few mistakes....just keep going to the end. This is all muscle memory.

I'm not saying keep playing it wrong. But once you get through a song, find the part you need to work on and just go over that part until you eventually nail it.

Also, I find it a huge help to down some coffee right before I go play.
I do play slow, but im not sure how long i should play like it...I dunno if you really understood what i was trying to say xD.I mean, i know how to play the song,but it doesn't sound right for me.Then i start to play slow, and later, it sounds good at the original tempo, but LATER again, it sound bad again, and im so sick of this routine... -.-
Quote by LolikasBolikas
I do play slow, but im not sure how long i should play like it...I dunno if you really understood what i was trying to say xD.I mean, i know how to play the song,but it doesn't sound right for me.Then i start to play slow, and later, it sounds good at the original tempo, but LATER again, it sound bad again, and im so sick of this routine... -.-

It sounds like you are saying:

I play it slow, and it sounds bad. I play it at original speed, and it sounds good again.

Try reducing it in increments. In other words, play it 10 percent slower. Not necessarily 50% or at a snails pace.

Here's a rule of thumb that I teach my students: Play the piece. If youre making mistakes and cannot control your playing, it's too fast. Reduce your speed until you are in control of what's going on and are not making any mistakes. Anything faster, is too fast.

Does that help?

If you're making mistakes, dial it back, or youre going to make that mistake into a habit. The short term memory picks up things including mistakes, immediately. If you screw up and don't control it, you'll screw up again.

Best,

Sean
Question to the OP do you play along to the record or do you practice parts of the song with a metronome?
It sounds like you are saying:

I play it slow, and it sounds bad. I play it at original speed, and it sounds good again.

Try reducing it in increments. In other words, play it 10 percent slower. Not necessarily 50% or at a snails pace.

Here's a rule of thumb that I teach my students: Play the piece. If youre making mistakes and cannot control your playing, it's too fast. Reduce your speed until you are in control of what's going on and are not making any mistakes. Anything faster, is too fast.

Does that help?

If you're making mistakes, dial it back, or youre going to make that mistake into a habit. The short term memory picks up things including mistakes, immediately. If you screw up and don't control it, you'll screw up again.

Best,

Sean[/QUOT

U know, one time i was thinking the pretty much familiar thing.Well ok, ill try, thanks for the advice
Quote by Black_devils
Question to the OP do you play along to the record or do you practice parts of the song with a metronome?

most of the time the recrod, but sometimes i practise with metronome