Hey guys, I need some help figuring out how to count the tempo of this song. I'm working on tabbing it out for myself by ear with Guitar Pro and can't figure out if there is an easier way to tab out what I'm hearing.

First of all, here's the song, the intro is all you'll need to hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSr7RRn1Ig

Here's what I came up with in guitar pro @ 100bpm (found using http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm):

Now, there's got a be a more efficient way than using all those triplets I'd imagine. I was thinking that maybe it's supposed to be written in 6/8 time? Anyway, thanks for the help.

EDIT: I have a feeling I was right doing it this way and counting the tempo in 8th triplets, though I'd still like some input.
Last edited by \m/(-_-)\m/ at Feb 20, 2014,
It's 6/8 or 12/8 - you can write it in either but 6/8 will give a ton of bars to work with (this one bar you have is 4 bars in 6/8). Tap along with the hi hat/cymbal and you'll get about 300. Then divide by 2 because mathematically 12/8 is 6/4, so tempo 150. Triplets in 100bpm 4/4 (or 8/4) is also the same. When you end up with a song with all triplets, you probably got the time signature wrong. It doesn't matter much but it looks kinda silly and is annoying to work with.
Last edited by fanapathy at Feb 20, 2014,
My opinion is that it's best to do it at 100bpm. 6/8 and 12/8 are alternate ways of looking at it and none of them are wrong, but look at where the actual beat is, where you would tap your foot to it ... therefore it's 100bpm with a triplet feel. It can be a little awkward when you have 16ths within the triplets, but I would transcribe it like this, with sextuplets. And put the part you have there in two bars of 4/4 :

Quote by fanapathy
It's 6/8 or 12/8 - you can write it in either but 6/8 will give a ton of bars to work with (this one bar you have is 4 bars in 6/8). Tap along with the hi hat/cymbal and you'll get about 300. Then divide by 2 because mathematically 12/8 is 6/4, so tempo 150. Triplets in 100bpm 4/4 (or 8/4) is also the same. When you end up with a song with all triplets, you probably got the time signature wrong. It doesn't matter much but it looks kinda silly and is annoying to work with.

This was perfect! Thanks!