I've played guitar for around 6 years and a couple of months ago I decided I wanted to learn to play bass, I borrowed a broken bass my friend had and I've been using it and i'm liking bass more than guitar now, so i'm looking to buy a new bass.

I would like to spend around 300 USD, but can go a little higher, i'm also fine with going used.

The ones I've been looking at are the Sterling S.U.B Ray4 and the Epiphone Thunderbird IV, as well as some of the various Squires. Any recommendations for a good bass in that price range?
The SUB 4s are a great budget music man if you want that sound. The epi tbrid I would stay away from due to neck dive, heavy as all hell and they are quite muddy to my ears. The squier classic vibe series have some solid offerings. Also look at some ibanez sr250 and gsr200. Take a look at some peavey GDP series as they are nice basses for the price.

But really you should go to a store and try out every thing in your price range and a bit above budget and see what feels good for you.
I'm in a similar situation as HateToWin. After 7 years of playing guitar, I have been doing a lot of original recordings and covers. I put down programmed midi drum tracks and then record my guitars, but I don't have a bass to put on the recordings to complete the sound. I've been looking for basses that are around $200-$300. One bass that I came across is the ESP B-50. It gets really good reviews. What are your thoughts on that bass, and any other suggestions?
If you're set on a normal bass guitar, look at:
Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series.
Ibanez SR and ATK series.
ESP LTDs.
Yamahas.
Peavey.

Solid starter brands, can't go wrong.

I think you should both try out a Bass VI. It's 30" scale guitar tuned down an octave. Squier offers a good one.
Get the Tbird!!! I love mine! It's not even heavy or anything. Bassists who say that must not even play one or may not be strong enough. Don't read reviews about them. The strap placement and neck dive isn't bad either. The only con about it is bad fret access 16-20. But it's not that horrible, just get used to it. Definitely get it. It's an amazing bass. Also buy a Firebird guitar
I am also a guitar player that has just started playing bass in the last 6 months. I've got a Sterling S.U.B. Ray4 and I love it. Mine is the Walnut Satin and it is a little heavier than the others in the Ray4 line. It feels very solid and has the same hardware and pickups as the more expensive Music Man basses. It is very well made and I have compared it to all the other basses in the price range at Guitar Center. It won out hands down.
Quote by Random9000
Ibanez. They make amazing basses for a budget.

I agree, I have SR300 and it's great for the price.
I just saw a used Ibanez BTB400 Blue for $225 on line.

Ibby Pups are more powerful than the Bars on the 450 series.

Razor Thin Neck
Variable midsweep.
18V
Walnut Stringers
Gorgeous Blue Quilt maple Top.

Shim the Neck and lower the action.

I would get it if I had the extra money.

Thin necks are not for everyone though.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by HateToWin
I've played guitar for around 6 years and a couple of months ago I decided I wanted to learn to play bass, I borrowed a broken bass my friend had and I've been using it and i'm liking bass more than guitar now, so i'm looking to buy a new bass.

I would like to spend around 300 USD, but can go a little higher, i'm also fine with going used.

The ones I've been looking at are the Sterling S.U.B Ray4 and the Epiphone Thunderbird IV, as well as some of the various Squires. Any recommendations for a good bass in that price range?

Buy an Epiphone Thunderbird PRO-IV. Its just awesome. You can play like almost anything with it. It has active electronics and it costs a bit more than the regu,ar t-bird but its worth every dollar.
Quote by slash7796
I'm in a similar situation as HateToWin. After 7 years of playing guitar, I have been doing a lot of original recordings and covers. I put down programmed midi drum tracks and then record my guitars, but I don't have a bass to put on the recordings to complete the sound. I've been looking for basses that are around $200-$300. One bass that I came across is the ESP B-50. It gets really good reviews. What are your thoughts on that bass, and any other suggestions?

Here are some good basses where to start
Epiphone Thunderbird PRO-IV
Squier ClassicVibe jazz bas
Ibanez SR300
Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray 4

Tbeseare all good quality basses and they are about inthe prices what you're looking.