I have recently required a nice new amp, and I'm after a pair of contrasting mics to record in stereo, preferably something with a nice dynamic range. I'm aware of the e606 and sm57 setup.

Anyone got any other good amp recording mics?
The standard is a SM57 and a MD421.

But why do you want to do this?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Why does it need to be diverse? Where you're placing the mic should make a big enough difference in frequencies captured alone - do it Friedman style, 2 SM57s, one straight at the grill and the other at a 45* angle pointed towards the other. Good stuffs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Standard thing to do is get a dynamic and a condenser:

Dynamics: 57, MD421, RE20, SM7
Condensers: C414, U87, SE do a few, there's one by AT that's often raved about here.

There's also ribbon mics, which when placed further away in combination with a close dynamic make an awesome sound. The 4038 is a great one.

Course many of these may be out of your budget! How much are you looking to spend?
Using two different mics is to record an amp is valid. Not sure about doing it in stereo, though. Only problem with that is, you're going to two different response curves from the mics, which could sound a little odd. I'd recommend using the two mics in mono and then blending their signals to achieve the sound you want. I do that quite frequently. If you want to record in stereo, I'd recommend two of the same mic.