I've been playing for quite a while now but after learning lots of songs playing with CDs and stuff. Is there anything else you can do to make it more fun because now I'm starting to learn less songs and not play as much. I learned R U mine by the arctic monkeys and really love it but once I get it perfect is the only other thing to learn something else. You can't make up something on its own and it sound good. I do have a guitar and have tried playing it so I could loop something and make a jam over it on bass. But I can't because I suck at guitar so had it's not my thing. I can't even use a pick on bass so guitars just silly chords are ok it's the strumming.

But what other things can I do to stay playing. I can't listen to drum loops and make a baseline maybe that would be a start.
Try downloading some drum backing tracks from the internet and jamming along to them. If you have the cash, get something like Line 6's looper, which has many drum tracks built in. That will get the creative juices flowing.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Spaz91
Try playing with other people.

As long as they are not Pod People!

You might also want to push yourself. Take a tune that has a great and difficult bass part, and break it down into sections. Then try to learn it note for note.
Quote by BassBen93
I wanted to learn rush yyz but I'm not that good unfortunantly

You will never get that "good" if you don't attempt things beyond your abilities. Geddy Lee or for that matter, any amazing bass player did not break out fully formed from their mother's womb knowing how to play. Take it slow and step by step and it will fall into place in time.

And I agree, find some people to play music with. Nothing forces you into your A game like playing with other people.
I used to play with a guitarist but he's always busy and the other I know I am about as good as he is in a few months on guitar and he's been playing 3 years.
I reckon Geddy Lee was born an awesome bass playing baby. No other explanation.
signature
Who said learning to play any instrument well will always be fun?

That being said... start learning the music, not just copying a bass part on a CD.
Victor Wooten has some fun technique videos that may take you in another direction.
And, there's always Band in a Box. It's a midi format which allows you to remove the bass track from tunes and jam till the cows show up.
Yeah, play with other people. It's good to have at least drums and a more melodic instrument (guitar, piano or something like that) and maybe vocals. It doesn't need to be anything serious, just have fun and play together. But yeah, especially bass is the kind of instrument that doesn't really work that well on its own (sometimes it does but that kind of pieces are usually pretty advanced). It kind of needs a band to really sound good.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You can only get so far as a bassist without playing with other people. It just isn't a solo instrument.

That isn't to say you have reached that point yet, or there isn't a lot more to learn but you will eventually run out of motivation.

Don't be fussy about who you play with or music styles. If you are just jamming then you will probably just move on and try lots of different things. Grab any opportunity and treat it as a learning experience. Every person you jam with will know other musicians so new opportunities will open up.

I think the advice to start learning some music in parallel with your bass playing is good too. Just learning bass lines one note at a time isn't very interesting ultimately though most of us start there.
^ I think what Phil Starr meant was the same thing I said in my post: Most of the time bass is a band instrument and doesn't work that well on its own. There are solo pieces but they are technically pretty advanced. And IMO a bassist needs a band. That's where playing the bass is the most fun. Bass is not really a melodic instrument (again, yes you can play melodies on it but most of the time that's not what bass does) and is not as easy to make sound good and interesting on its own as for example piano or guitar. Playing your favorite basslines is not the same as playing your favorite riffs. Songs on guitar usually sound more interesting and are more fun to play than songs on bass because the guitar part is usually more melodic part and the bass part is more of a supporting part that makes the song groove. But it needs the song to groove. It's usually not meant to sound good on its own.

Actually I would say bass is a bit like drums. Yeah, drums are pretty fun to play on their own but a drummer definitely needs a band to really enjoy playing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 23, 2014,
'Most of the time that's not what the bass does' is such a negative comment though. Yes, it is hard to make things sound good as a solo bassist... until you understand how to make it sound good. But it's the same with playing in a band, you still need to know how to make your instrument sound good in the context of other people, i.e. The tone you have when you're practicing in your bedroom and think is awesome on it's own may completely suck when thrown into a band situation. Understanding what notes work with other parts is another thing you really need to understand in a band situation, but that's also a skill you can transfer to solo playing- instead of other people playing other parts, you are. The technical side of things comes with practice. And there are plenty of bass pieces that sound awesome without being overtly technical.

The instrument is what YOU make of it. I have loads of fun making bass only compositions, single tracked and layered multi tracked stuff.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I reckon Geddy Lee was born an awesome bass playing baby. No other explanation.

Watch the documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage and pay attention to where they boys talk about making the album Hemispheres. Geddy Lee admits that the music they had written was beyond their present capabilities, and that they had to force themselves to learn how to play it. They also talk about how they were intent on recording La Villa Strangiato in a single take, all playing live together, and that they simply could not do it at the time because their musician's abilities were not up to the task.

So do what Rush did and push yourself - constantly!!!
Go for stuff seriously out of your comfort range. When I get bored with the style I'm playing (Augury, Opeth, etc) I go out there and start learning something I don't even like. Last night I learned EVH's first half of his last guitar solo (switched it up to fit the bass) on the song Human's Being. Sure, sounds like crap, but it was worth the while.

Sort of ties in with the above comment.

Also, just for shits and giggles, give this a go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_V1nKy7cM
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Thanks for all the advice I've started learning harder slap stuff and stuff with picks as I hate using them and it's a new challenge. looking for some people to jam with too.
Quote by BassBen93
Thanks for all the advice I've started learning harder slap stuff and stuff with picks as I hate using them and it's a new challenge. looking for some people to jam with too.

That is what it is all about. You are definitely on the right track. Good luck, and enjoy your journey to bass mastery.