Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to build a half-stack rig with with custom control. I want to explore and create with the amp modeling and multi-effects pedals.

For the amp, I want a modeling head unit (ex: a Line 6 Spider IV) and ANY kind of cabinet. I want the best one for the price and the most useful one, it doesn't have to be top dollar or the most expensive one to be the best.) What I'm really aiming for is a good head unit that can be customizable, and a good cabinet to produce a good sound.

Hopefully, there is a pedal that is accessible with the head unit. (Ex: The Fender Mustang Amp series comes with a pedal switch/pedalboard.)

So basically, I wanna know what the most efficient "Multi-Effects, Customizable Rig".

My price limit would have to be around $700-900, considerably $1000 tops.)

I would prefer new equipment, but I would deal with a used cabinet that works good.

Please leave your advice, thanks!

EDIT: I must include that I want computer accessibility as well. I want to be able to hook my amp up to the computer for the customization interface
Last edited by zvidal1995 at Feb 20, 2014,
If you have 1000 tops stay far far far far far far away from a spider iv.

like far away.

maybe look at the blackstar id series.
Does Blackstar even have amp modeling?? I want that preset feature, and the Line 6 Spider IV half stack has a bunch of them, and you can customize your own presets. That's the kind of features I'm looking for, that way I don't need to buy a bunch of pedals, only the footswitch made for the amp.
get something like a used Peavey JSX and a used Marshall 1960 cab. These can be had for <$1000 for the pair.
If you will go combo, you can get a JSX 2x12 combo for <$600. The JSX is extremely versatile.

Then get a used Line 6 POD HD500 when you get the money.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i want to be able to switch between presets quickly for versatility throughout songs
Quote by zvidal1995
so i wouldn't need the peavey footswitch??

if the JSX did not come with one, yes you will need one to switch channels and the FX loop on the amp.

The POD HD500/400 can run in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time so you can use the amps channels and the PODs FX or run the POD amp sims and get the best sound quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
okay so if I'm right, I need:

a JSX Head unit
The POD HD500 or 400
the JSX footswitch
(the cables)
and a Marshall Cab
Quote by zvidal1995
okay so if I'm right, I need:

a JSX Head unit
The POD HD500 or 400
the JSX footswitch
(the cables)
and a Marshall Cab

yes or you can get a JSX combo so you don't have to worry about a cab and then get a POD HD400/500.
here www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVY-JSX-2X12-GTR-COMBO-109199759-i3547130.gc $399 for a JSX combo then you can get a POD HD with the rest and possibly have some money leftover. You will not get a better set-up for less and it will do anything you need or want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
alright man thank so you much!!! your the best, i really have been trying to find a rig like this for awhile now, before i cash in on it when i get my income taxes soon
Yeah that will give you a full on professional rig for <$1000. If the amp does not include a footswitch. you can order a replacement from voodooman switches or switchdoctor switches
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 3 button JSX switch that is $69.95
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just another suggestion, maybe an AxeFx or midi switching amp w/pod hd would be better for you.

I think you'll find that the pod hd amp sims won't sound as good as the jsx's distortion and you might end up using that more with pod hd fx or whatever, but that way you'd have to use pod hd and jsx footswitch meaning a bit more tap dancing. if you don't mind that, that's ok but just another idea here.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Just another suggestion, maybe an AxeFx or midi switching amp w/pod hd would be better for you.

I think you'll find that the pod hd amp sims won't sound as good as the jsx's distortion and you might end up using that more with pod hd fx or whatever, but that way you'd have to use pod hd and jsx footswitch meaning a bit more tap dancing. if you don't mind that, that's ok but just another idea here.

They make an after market MIDI box you can get for the JSX
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
so what do i do?!? im just tryna have it simple, I was gonna go for that Line 6 Spider IV or a Mustang but I want something better than that but similar to the way it works with the presets.
Quote by Robbgnarly
They make an after market MIDI box you can get for the JSX

well that solves that then
here is the JSX footswitch and MIDI interface pedal... do i need both along with the POD???
You don't need the JSX footswitch, just the MIDI interface. The whole point is to make the HD500 act as the footswitch. So one switch controls everything, not you changing the channels manually then changing the effects manually. That's the lame way to do it, and what you want to avoid, it seems like.

I'm not sure how that one works, you need an input for the 7 Pin DIN from the amp, and a MIDI output.

So you would need an actual MIDI switcher as well. Maybe something like an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo, I'm not sure if that will work with that interface. But it should work, and eliminate the need for the VoodooMan interface, you just need the RJM JSX adapter to go with it. I'm not familiar with AnalogMan stuff, they might have something else that will work.

I am extremely interested in this.

Also consider other high end modeling solutions. Look at the Line 6 Vetta II, for instance. Or you can use a POD HD500 by itself, and get a separate poweramp. I think the Marshall EL34 50/50 and 100/100 rack units sound really great. Mesa, Randall and Engl also make rack poweramps. This would be a significantly more simple and easy option, just probably more expensive overall.

EDIT: You could also just get a cheap head with a decent poweramp and just use it as a poweramp by running the output from the HD500 into the Return of the FX loop on the amp. That is a popular way to do it, I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 21, 2014,
^ I was thinking he could use the 4 cable method of connecting the POD so he can effectively use the JSX and the POD depending on what he wanted to do. This would give him the noce tones of the JSX and the versatility if the POD modeling. It would be the best of both worlds IMO.

I would have thought the POD HD500 would connect directly to the MIDI box and be the switcher since the POD HD500 is MIDI capable. Maybe someone a little better with this can confirm this or not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
thank you guys for your help! i couldn't have asked for better advice. now I'm waiting on income tax.
once i get it, if I have any difficulties I'll repost to this or PM you guys. I'll keep you in mind
what's that guitar's specialty in that dream rig? do i need that guitar... I wanted to buy the Gibson SGJ14 2014 Electric Guitar for $500 new
Quote by zvidal1995
what's that guitar's specialty in that dream rig? do i need that guitar... I wanted to buy the Gibson SGJ14 2014 Electric Guitar for $500 new

Not required but pretty damn slick. Modeling amp, pedal and guitar. Read up on the Variax, you might like it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i might get that instead. The POD500 w/ the Line 6 amp and a marshall cab with the SG would be sick.. i dont need to do the 4 cable method and all that shit with it too right? does it come with all the cables needed? and is it a simple hookup
I've read that there's some patch switching delay with the HD and the DT. Definitely not good. No personal experience though, unfortunately.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by zvidal1995
i might get that instead. The POD500 w/ the Line 6 amp and a marshall cab with the SG would be sick.. i dont need to do the 4 cable method and all that shit with it too right? does it come with all the cables needed? and is it a simple hookup

That is a cool versatile amp, but it also cost way over your budget

No there is 1 cable that links the POD HD to the DT amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd set up with a modeler and a powered speaker or a power amp and a full-range speaker.

How about an HD500, a Carvin HD1500 power amp ($299) and a Carvin LS1503 cabinet ($299)?
The HD500 has all the footpedal switching you need (and all the presets). The HD1500 will output up to 1500W into 4 ohms (if you should add a second LS 1503), and the Carvin cabinet works very well with 600-1200W solid state amps.

If it were me, I'd leave the SGJ on the shelf; I think it's a bit of a junque guitar with the ONLY redeeming quality the Gibson logo. You're better off to find a really good used older SG if that's the style you really like. Take a good close look at the Line 6 Variax JTV-89. 16" radius fretboard, jumbo frets, 24 fret, very fast, very good pickups, awesome built-in modeling and alternate tuning capabilities. AND you can actually set everything, including the guitar model, the alternate tuning, the amp, cab and FX choices into a single user preset and change everything at once with a single stomp. (you have to use the Variax cable for this).

One of the very nice things about the Variax guitars; The noisy single-coil pickups, like the strat, tele and P90 style single coils, are modeled. No hum, no noise. You can downtune to Drop Bb (and beyond) without ever changing the tension on the strings. If you learn Don't Stop Believin' in the original key and have a singer show up who can't hit the Steve Perry highs, you can actually select an alternate (lower) tuning on the guitar, play the song exactly the way you learned it (leads and everything) and what will come out of the amp is the same song, but in a lower key.
I think Dspellman has the right idea, you'd do we'll with a Pod HD and power amp, you could use a full range set of speakers or a regular guitar cab, I've done both and each option has it's strengths. As far as the Variax goes, it is a cool piece of kit, but pricey if you don't need that kind of versatility in your guitar.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
yeaah dude **** that dream rig. it's wayy too expensive and seems too good to be true. and I love SG's, its just hard to find one thats efficient at a good price. Dspellman add me, I like that idea and I may as well go with that option. I'm trying to think this all through before I invest in it.
I definitely want an SG, maybe with DiMarzio Pickups (Super Distortion and a 30th Anniv. PAF). With the Carvin Power Amp and Cab, will I need to do something similar to the 4 cable method? I get confused by some of this stuff, but I'm starting to understand it better.
If you could do the HD500 and a DT25 that would be ideal IMO, but it would be over budget new. You might get close on the used market though. Alternatively, you could do the HD400 and the DT25 to save a little coin.

I had the HD500 and the DT25 and I can tell you that combo is awesome. I didn't notice any delay switching patches but I was only at home. I kinda wish I hadn't sold that combo. Insanely flexible and sounds outstanding. It can be a little tricky to use at first--the HD500 has so many options that you can get overly tweak-happy, but there are plenty of good patches you can just download from their site.

In my opinion, if you can get the HD500/DT25 you'll be good to go.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM (2), RG7421, Mayer Strat

Amps
- Peavey Invective, Mesa TC-50, Vypyr 60
Yeah I seen that you can download some patches. And I heard about the delay as well. I think it would be easier for me to have the straight setup, than have to use the 4 cable method and only use the POD500 as an effects loop. I want to be able to model the amps and stuff too with the POD for complete customization. So I may as well get the DT25. How loud is it?? Is the DT25 good enough for jamming with a drummer?? Maybe small gigs?
Page 1 of 2