I'm new here, so pardon me if I do this wrong.

I started playing guitar about 8 months ago, and I've gotten pretty good. I have an old Fender Acoustic, and it's served me well for awhile, but now I'm in the market for a new one. I know the guitar that's best is a personal preference, but I'm just looking for advice on brands or what I should be looking for. There's a Guitar Center nearby, and I plan on going there soon and looking, so I'm asking for advice now.

I mainly play rock and classic rock, and I'm looking for something with a rich sound, as my Fender is laminated and I don't really like that sound. It doesn't matter if it's acoustic-electric or not, I'm just looking for the best sound quality. The problem is, I don't have a huge budget. I need it to be between $400-$500, and I know that's not a lot to work with. All I'm looking for are some suggestions as to what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance, and if you need any more info, just ask.
tough one. there are so many choices out there in that range. Seagull and Yamaha seem to be everyone's frontrunners. there are some good Takamines as well as many others.
do you prefer the smaller 1 11/16" width neck or the (ever-so-slightly) wider 1 3/4" nut width?
i myself don't find much of a difference. i go between them with nary a thought about it. maybe i'm just used to them both.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Good sound and playability are expensive. Try some of the midrange models $500 to $1000.
Quote by dcsheehan
. The problem is, I don't have a huge budget. I need it to be between $400-$500, and I know that's not a lot to work with. All I'm looking for are some suggestions as to what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance, and if you need any more info, just ask.
Quote by squier55
Good sound and playability are expensive. Try some of the midrange models $500 to $1000.

So, the TS says he has at most $500.00. Then you tell him to test out guitars up to double that amount of money, and without any recommendation of where to start.
Go and try a bunch in your price range, I will second looking at seagull and yamaha.

Have fun looking.
with what you like playiing, Fender's hellcat would be a good choice. the only Fender that i've tried that i actually like.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HellcatTA/
or if you like portability that still has big sound, i have these in all 3 tops, spruce, 'hog and engelmann. great guitars for the price.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSMiniM/
another really popular choice....
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG730S/
just a few to help point you in a direction... enjoy the hunt, it's half the fun.
Quote by Captaincranky
So, the TS says he has at most $500.00. Then you tell him to test out guitars up to double that amount of money, and without any recommendation of where to start.

OK, The Japanese makes are probably the best for the money. Takamine, Yamaha and Alverez. You couldn't run fast enough to give me a Seagull, Simon Pactric or Godin . In my experience they are POS.
Did you really expect me to solve all his problems? The truth is the truth, whisky taste ans pepsi budget.
I guess I should tell him to do what you do but personally I don't think you have a clue.
A brand that could be interesting is Cort, but only if you find one made in Korea. They have some in your price range that have a very nice sound. Especially recommend the jumbos.
These days, with all the great quality guitars coming out of the PacRim countries, $500 goes a long way.

As a rough guide a $500 made in the PacRim guitar (and that's all the PacRim: Korea, China, Indonesia, etc - the days when Chinese guitars were inferior to those made in other countries are long gone) will be of equal quality in materials and workmanship to a Western-made instrument costing $1000 - £1500.

Brands I would recommend are: Cort, Crafter, LAG, Recording King, Tanglewood, Vintage, Yamaha (the list is alphabetical, not an indicator of relative quality). There are probably more but I haven't played any Eastman, Blueridge etc - not common here in the UK.

I've been playing guitar quite a while and I have several acoustics and have no need for more. But if I did decide to buy a new one I'd probably go for this:

http://www.gearhounds.com/crafter-dv200nv-acoustic-guitar.aspx

I've played one of these - lovely, lovely guitar that sounds and plays fantastic.
Last edited by Garthman at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by squier55
Did you really expect me to solve all his problems? The truth is the truth, whisky taste ans pepsi budget.
No, seems as though the good ship, "Help", has sailed as well.

Quote by squier55
I guess I should tell him to do what you do but personally I don't think you have a clue.
And personally, since pretty much of what you've had to say thus far is simply generic snippets of chatter laced with condescension, we're pretty much even.

And here's the thing. I'm left handed, and play left handed. That leaves me out of suggesting a great many possibilities, since I don't have the experience to make an informed suggestion. So, to one extent or another, I have to rely on the opinions and experiences of my forum partners. In your case, you see where that's gotten me....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 23, 2014,
a responce from the TS would be nice as to which direction he/she may be heading.
Quote by stepchildusmc
a responce from the TS would be nice as to which direction he/she may be heading.
Tru Dat, but after about post 9 or 10 with no reply, it becomes harder to care......

OTOH, it is worth mentioning that being told to go listen to $1000.00 guitars when you only have $500.00, might be a bit off putting
Well thanks for all the feedback! I'm kind of surprised that this sparked an argument. My local music store has a small collection, and I tried out a few there. The top 3 guitars I liked were: Seagull S6, a Yamaha model, I think the one someone suggested earlier, and a Alvarez that I don't remember the model of (these aren't in any order). I really liked the sound of all three, and I think I'll be considering those, unless another guitar really speaks to me.
thanks for the update DC. i've owned the S6(slim), the Yammie fg700s and the 720. also had an alvarez rd20 that was left with me for a while. really liked the yammies and the seagull at their respective price points.
Quote by dcsheehan
Well thanks for all the feedback!
You're welcome
Quote by dcsheehan
I'm kind of surprised that this sparked an argument.
So you're new to internet forums, then?

Besides, my part in the aforementioned discussion, was an attempt to define what consists of actual "help" toward a member. Separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Quote by dcsheehan
My local music store has a small collection, and I tried out a few there. The top 3 guitars I liked were: Seagull S6, a Yamaha model, I think the one someone suggested earlier, and a Alvarez that I don't remember the model of (these aren't in any order). I really liked the sound of all three, and I think I'll be considering those, unless another guitar really speaks to me.

As Garthman has pointed out, a few other brands are worth considering. Specifically, the Recording King, Cort, and Crafter lines.

One of the longtime members, Patticake, has quite a few nice things to say about the "Recording King" product. Specifically that they have all solid wood guitars that are in your price range, and they have a Martin like tonal philosophy, generally speaking.

"Cort", is a huge OEM that also markets their own line ogf guitars.

Then there's "Crafter". This brand is much more prevalent in the UK and Europe than here in the US. I never hear bad things about their guitars, and I have, and am quite happy with, 3 of their 12 strings. That can't act as an endorsement for a prospective 6 string customer of itself, but the craftsmanship is excellent in this Korean built line.

So, as much as I am loathe to introduce more variables into your already difficult decision making process, those lines are all still worth considering. If you have access to audition them, great. If not, the guitars you've already heard, are capable, and journeyman options.
Taylor makes some really great sounding novice guitars. The Big Baby has a great sound and they're around $400. But I would just save a bit more and get a 100 or 200 series Taylor. They're around $700-$1,000. Plus I'm a firm believer in getting a guitar that will inspire you to play. Spend the extra $$$ even if you have to save a bit longer. It'll be worth it in the long run, I promise.