I just received my first seven-string guitar, and realized that these strings have got to go. They're too light, and this adds up to feel weird to me as well as create a lot of fret buzz. I'm convinced that a heavier set of strings will help out.

Alas, Ernie Ball does not have a set I would consider heavy enough. The 7-string power slinkies dont go to 0.060, which is what I'd prefer. I've literally used nothing but Ernie Ball strings my entire guitar-playing life. I am at a complete loss as to what other brands to consider. Can anyone help a brotha out?
Scale length? Desired tuning? A lot of 7 string players get a 6 string set and add a high or low single to the set to complete it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2

How about this set?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Not quite, I'm going for something a bit heavier. Thank you anyway though, of course. The low B on that set is actually only .003 larger than the low E on my 6-string. I really like the .012-.056 on my 6, was probably looking for a set somewhere closer to these gauges, with a larger low E if possible.
There's the Ernie Ball Cobalt 2730 set. 62 52 42 30 17 13 10.

I've used these. Didn't like how they felt, though. A bit rough.

I think it's the heaviest set I've seen. Without buying an 8 string set and discarding a string.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Best option I've seen yet. I'm either going out on a limb and trying those or constructing a custom set. Thanks for your input
Quote by ibanez1997
I currently have 10-46 with a 64 on the bottom, works great for me. Just order a standard 6 string set plus a single string

Just order a 6-string set and order the 7th seperately...I love it when the answer is something incredibly simple I just failed to consider. Thank you. I'm going to get another pack of my Not Even Slinkys and a 0.064 to slap on the bottom. Time to enjoy setting up a floyd rose for the first time
Quote by Ashakoh
Just order a 6-string set and order the 7th seperately...I love it when the answer is something incredibly simple I just failed to consider. Thank you. I'm going to get another pack of my Not Even Slinkys and a 0.064 to slap on the bottom. Time to enjoy setting up a floyd rose for the first time

No problem! Although if you like Not Even Slinkys in standard, you may want something heavier than a 64. Maybe a 70 or 72.
Well, I just ordered some 0.064 singles, so we'll see how those work out. Hopefully it's stiff enough...lol stiff enough
The .064 will probably be fine, I like my strings taut like a suspension bridge, and I have a .065 as my low B on my 27" 7 string, It should be a bit looser on a 25" though.

When I made my set I took a Dunlop .12-.54 set, then bought a d'addario .60 and .65 bass string, then I took out the D string, Put the A where that went, and put the E where the A went, then used the bass strings as my E and B. Guitar has a nice tight low end and a good feel, but I wouldn't recommend this approach if you replace your strings often as this cost $15 including the $7 string set.

Ended up with .12-.16-.24-.42-.54-.60-.65, I don't know how heavy of a feel you like but this is about as heavy as I'd be willing to go on a guitar that's in standard tuning, any more and I'd be afraid of breaking it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
That sounds about like what I'm looking for. I used 6-string power slinkys for several years. Eventually when my hands had adjusted I switched up to the .012s to get even more of that taught feeling and responsiveness.
The tension for such a high-gauge set wouldn't be too much for a neck-thru guitar would it? I'm not sure if that would affect the integrity of the guitar any, but the thought of ****ing up the neck on my one decent guitar when it's also the core of said guitar is frightening It's a BC Rich JRV-7 if it counts for anything.
DR have a 11-65 set. That's what I use on my 7. Holds tension nicely.
[404]Signature not found
I prefer D'Addario 13-62 set and then add either 9 or 10 plain string. A well balanced set, doesnt suffer from overtight A and D strings as usual.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I've got my 12-56 EB's for now, and I think I'm going to see how that 64 on the bottom will work with all of those. I'll keep all the advice in mind for when I buy more strings next time I'm not broke. Thank you guys.