Poll: Ibanez or Fender
Poll Options
View poll results: Ibanez or Fender
P-Bass
4 44%
BTB
5 56%
Voters: 9.
I came across this sweet looking Ibanez bass in the local pawn shop, it's twice the price I paid for my Precision Bass, but I am feeling compelled to buy it.

Only thing is, I can't find it on Ibanez's site. It clearly has a BTB logo on the headstock, but their BTBs on Ibanez.com are all 5-string.

Here is a pic of what it looks like, keep in mind it's not an SR, but a BTB:

Dual Humbucker pickups really has me interested.

My P-Bass is a Squier and it's only got one set of split pickups.

Anyone out there think I should keep the P-Bass?
Last edited by bdwfb at Feb 21, 2014,
It is not a BTB. It is an older model SR or SRX. They were pretty neat basses, but I wold rather have a good P-bass than that one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There used to be 4 string BTBs but they were discontinued, probably because the kinds of people that go for a BTB usually want extended range. They're great basses if you like modern, even the cheaper models.

Why not have both?
Quote by Spaz91

Why not have both?

I guess I could, but already have a Fender MIM Stratocaster.
I'm in a single person's apartment, so not a lot of room for a guitar collection, LOL

I guess I should hold off on buying anything as advanced as that BTB, since I don't even have an amp that would support it. The amp I have is for a Squier Affinity six-string. I play over the TV on PS3 with Rocksmith mostly, and do a little on the amp when reading tabs off the computer screen.

I'm afraid to go back to that pawn shop, cause that bass is just calling my name, it's a beauty.

I do worry about it being a discontinued model, probably difficult to find parts for it.
Having lived in a dorm room with three guitars and a roommate, I have one piece of advise--store instruments under the bed.

I concur with Jon--why not have both?
Quote by FatalGear41

It is not a BTB. It is an older model SR or SRX.

Yes, the one in the photo is, but on the one in the shop it clearly has bTb on the headstock.

Quote by FatalGear41

They were pretty neat basses, but I wold rather have a good P-bass than that one.

I guess I should have been clearer in my OP. My bass is a Squier 'by Fender', not an actual Fender.
Quote by anarkee

Having lived in a dorm room with three guitars and a roommate, I have one piece of advise--store instruments under the bed.

I concur with Jon--why not have both?

That's not an option for me since my bed is on the floor. My bedroom is so small I couldn't open the door all the way with the bed up on it's supports, so down it came.

I prefer to have them out here in the living room beside my TV so I can look at them.
I also can't think of a reason for having two of the same instrument, unless I was so advanced that I had each tuned for different styles of play.
I'm still a novice, but feel like I'm getting better almost daily.

Maybe I'm just too vain about the whole thing. I spent a week patching up the neck of my MIM Strat after it bumped a coffee table and I've spent a few bucks changing the PU covers, knobs, and back plate.
They're completely different animals; the same instrument maybe but the sounds are as far apart as you can get with an electric bass.

Here's a tip: flip a coin whether to get it or not. You'll have made up your mind which you want before you look at the coin.
Quote by Spaz91

They're completely different animals; the same instrument maybe but the sounds are as far apart as you can get with an electric bass.

I guess I will have to go in there & see what it sounds like & get a picture to post here too.
Here is what the Ibanez BTB looks like:

I think the aft knob was lost & replaced with a standard knob, because the other two are shaped like skulls.
It's got active pickups, which I said would be a deal-breaker, but it hasn't completely turned me off yet.
Built in 2004 in Korea

Is there an amp that will handle both six-string & bass guitars?
I want to remain as compact as possible...
If you're worried about space then just get a mixer/soundcard so you can play through your headphones. A headphone amp would be cheaper but they don't sound so good.

If you really want an amp, a bass amp will be fine for a guitar. However, guitar speakers might be damaged by a bass guitar.
Quote by bdwfb

I think the aft knob was lost & replaced with a standard knob, because the other two are shaped like skulls.
It's got active pickups, which I said would be a deal-breaker, but it hasn't completely turned me off yet.
Built in 2004 in Korea

Those are passive pickups with an active preamp. They're pretty hot pickups, too. They are great for heavy music.
Quote by FatalGear41

Those are passive pickups with an active preamp. They're pretty hot pickups, too. They are great for heavy music.

I picked it up today and did some strumming on it w/o an amp & I got NADA. At least with my Squier I can hear something when I strum it w/o the amp. Weird!

You already know more about this guitar than I do. Wish I could find the model number. I'm already a little turned off with the active pre-amp idea, but as you can see I'm not a pro, who might appreciate that more.

It's only $225, but my P-Bass was only $125. I do appreciate that the Ibanez is technically more proficient, it even has more frets.

I'm kind of put off by the lack of support, & parts info on the Ibanez site.
Sadly, anything with a battery becomes dependent on that battery. When you play a bass and get no sound through the amp, ninety-five times out of one hundred, it needs a new battery. Have the shop replace the battery and see if that fixes it.

Ibanez still offers parts for those basses (I have two of the higher-end old BTBs - nice, but heavy as hell!) and you do have to fish around through their website, but they are there. I do not know the model number, but if you look at the back of the headstock, it should be there. Ibanez makes solid instruments, so they should give you years of good playing.

A lot of basses these days come with battery-operated EQ. Some people like it; some don't. There is not now, and never will be a consensus on that one.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Feb 21, 2014,
no model number on the headstock, but the serial number was W740377
The serial number indicates it's a MIK made in the year 2004 so it's going to be a BTB200.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by bdwfb

Built in 2004 in Korea

Most bass amps will support guitar pretty well, they give guitars a beautiful clean tone, I prefer a SS bass amp(pre gibson Trace Elliot) for cleans over a quality tube amp...

Fender Bassman maybe?