Which guitarists in the world of rock an roll (past an present), are the most overrated.

** this includes but is not limited to; rock,blues,punk,ska,metal,alternative, and classic rock.
Jimmy Page. Stole most of his riffs and his solos sound more wooden than George Washington's teeth or Ron Jeremy's dick in the '80s.
Eric Clapton, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Slash, Eddie Van Halen
Quote by gun4hire
ugh, you cant rape someone with a pineapple because that would assume that someone doesnt want to have sex with a pineapple, which is impossible

Quote by Jackal58
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Especially an ignorant law.
I agree on Eric Clapton...just can't get into him. But he does have a lot of star power in his entourage.
What a great idea for a thread. I don't think its ever been done before.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
What a great idea for a thread. I don't think its ever been done before.

so good that i wish someone would make a new one every few months so that we never forget about it
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Eloy montes
Eric Clapton, Dimebag, Randy Rhoads, Slash, Eddie Van Halen

You're insane, The only one overrated there is Slash but the rest? Don't think so
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
You're insane, The only one overrated there is Slash but the rest? Don't think so

That's why these threads are pointless.

Your opinion is just as wrong as his was.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
That's why these threads are pointless.

Your opinion is just as wrong as his was.

Yeah true, not much point behind guitarist vs guitarist debates
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
All guitarists that aren't named "Toni Loomi" are overrated.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Overrated? Kirk Hammett and Kerry Burger King
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
All guitarists named here as "overrated" all share one thing in common... they were innovators in their genre... that being the case, I guess overrated must be the key to success... also, I believe most of them are in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.... hmmmm....
Quote by sniderfan
All guitarists named here as "overrated" all share one thing in common... they were innovators in their genre... that being the case, I guess overrated must be the key to success... also, I believe most of them are in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.... hmmmm....

It is a known fact that knowledgeable people count induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as the 2nd most important indicator of a something's worth only to being on one of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 X lists.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
John Petrucci is vastly overrated, I've seen more technical guitarists down my local pub playing in covers bands, yet people think he's great just cause he's learnt some different time signatures - so what?
The king stay the king
Personally I'm a big fan of Slash. He doesnt have the skill that guys like Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton have but the way he plays with soul and emotion is just awesome.
Yeah, this isn't a good question to ask. Are you talking about who can play the highest number of notes per second (which seems to be the default yardstick with most people)? Are you talking about the most musical? Say, if one guy can play 20 notes per second, and the other can bring tears to your eyes with a single well-timed note, well.... it's obvious which one is the most skilled, but which is the better MUSICIAN?

Jimmie Vaughan (SRV's brother) is a good example. He's famous for his statement "it's not the notes you play that matter; it's the ones you don't play." And indeed, most of his music isn't shred-like playing like his brother's, J. Lang, etc. But it's very emotional, melodic and musical. I can listen to "Slow Dance Blues" all day. Or listen to the second half - after that cymbal crash - of "Planet Bongo." Just an awesome vibe. And yes, JV CAN play like blazes when he wants to, don't kid yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-PmUf9HNKc

Same goes for other players who don't just stand there playing a zillion notes per second. Jeff Beck is another good example.

So these threads about guitarists being "over/under-rated" or "best" or "worst" etc. are really too broad to have any real meaning.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys