Obama Administration Embeds "Government Researchers" To Monitor Media Organizations

Page 1 of 3
Last May the FCC proposed an initiative to thrust the federal government into newsrooms across the country. With its "Multi-Market Study of Critical Information Needs," or CIN, the agency plans to send researchers to grill reporters, editors and station owners about how they decide which stories to run. A field test in Columbia, S.C., is scheduled to begin this spring.

The purpose of the CIN, according to the FCC, is to ferret out information from television and radio broadcasters about "the process by which stories are selected" and how often stations cover "critical information needs," along with "perceived station bias" and "perceived responsiveness to underserved populations."

Link : http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579366903828260732

The article is written by a current FCC commissioner. This is a direct assault on the 1st amendment.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Even worse is everything else the FCC does. Biggest waste of $350 million a year ever.
How does this violate the first amendment? It's research not control. #anticonspiracy.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by sage76
Link : http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579366903828260732

The article is written by a current FCC commissioner. This is a direct assault on the 1st amendment.

Having read the article, even through this writer's clearly biased (not to say negatively biased, just clearly presenting the situation under a certain light) account, I am having trouble seeing how this is an assault on the 1st amendment or freedom of speech in the slightest.

Government wishes to study how news stations select stories, in particular examining bias in the media -> STOP TAKING MA FREEDOM O SPEECH!

I really don't see the issue here at all.

EDIT: I've read through again and this article is such thorough thorough bollocks. How a voluntary study on news story selection comprises supression of freedom of speech is beyond me. Especially when this article also thinks that an attempt to make news networks more impartial was a threat to freedom of speech, rather than seeing how much contrary to the aims of freedom of speech it is when the US public's primary sources of information on the world and politics is overtly biased massive multi-national corporations and media monopolies.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by Neo Evil11
How does this violate the first amendment? It's research not control. #anticonspiracy.

Really?

Let's change it up a bit.

We're going to embed a monitor in your life that gets to directly question every decision you make.

Would that be wrong?
Quote by seabear70
Really?

Let's change it up a bit.

We're going to embed a monitor in your life that gets to directly question every decision you make.

Would that be wrong?

You make question sound like it's something perverse. They are simply gattering data, that's how research works. When I do an experiment with people I don't stand next to them and tell them: "would you really choose this choice? The other one is more rational given your other choices!" No we simply observe the way decisions are made. I do think the government has a point in researching this. Two days ago I saw a documentary on how the news reported the Norway bombing and shootings. the news reported that al qaida was responsible for it first.... only afterwards when it was overly clear that it is Breivik did they change their story. News these days is so fast that sometimes the wrong information gets published, intentional or unintentional.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
It will start out with the FCC "Studying" the stories various news organizations cover and why they cover those particular stories.
Next step is the FCC will "Suggest" what news stories they think are "worthy" of reporting, and which are not.
FCC goon : "I don't think that story is news worthy or is biased"
"You want your FCC license renewed?"

Are some of you so ignorant that you can't see where this is going?

Quote by First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press

Congress shall make no law.
Doesn't say shit about the president or or other government entity trying to do the same thing.
Quote by CodeMonk
It will start out with the FCC "Studying" the stories various news organizations cover and why they cover those particular stories.
Next step is the FCC will "Suggest" what news stories they think are "worthy" of reporting, and which are not.

Are you trolling?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CodeMonk

Lol nice slippery slope fallacy you have there
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Ehh, it's not a direct violation, but it might be close to having a chilling effect, which has been upheld as violating the first amendment. The program does have a certain uneasy sentiment. I agree with previous statement about it not being any worse than the normal FCC bullshit.
So get rid of your amendments. Yanks follow it closer than the bible anyways. It can't be a good thing.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Are you trolling?

Nope.
Just pointing out one of the many possibilities that could result from having the FCC "studying" news agencies.

So If I disagree with you, I must be trolling?

You really trust the US government that much?
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
Nope

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CodeMonk

Congress shall make no law.
Doesn't say shit about the president or or other government entity trying to do the same thing.

Neither the president nor any other "government entity" can create legislation. Only the House and Senate (ie. Congress).
Quote by CodeMonk
Nope.
Just pointing out one of the many possibilities that could result from having the FCC "studying" news agencies.

So If I disagree with you, I must be trolling?

You really trust the US government that much?

your statement: A can lead to B and B is bad therefore A is bad as well

This is known as the slippery slope fallacy

Quote by the bartender

Consider the source of A and its history.
Quote by CodeMonk
Consider the source of A and its history.

Yes, doesn't change anything.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CodeMonk

Is the NSA going to install cameras in our homes too?
I'm all for trashing on corrupt governments but I don't see what the threat is here, they're doing research. Considering the amount of biased media on the playing field today (coughthisarticlecough) hopefully it'll yield good results
Quote by the bartender

Governments = slippery slopes. We have laws to prevent slippery slopes. Get out of grade school logical fallacies
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yes, doesn't change anything.

It doesn't change the governments behavior either.
They have a history of lying to people.
Quote by RPGoof

They already have bruv
Quote by CodeMonk
It doesn't change the governments behavior either.
They have a history of lying to people.

In what way exactly? As far as I'm concerned they did a pretty good job in keeping your country safe for well over 100 years, with the notable exceptions of 9/11 and Pearl Harbour both of which they did not see coming. When did they ever controll the news?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dreadnought
Governments = slippery slopes. We have laws to prevent slippery slopes. Get out of grade school logical fallacies

As you should, which also proves that this specific slippery slope is indeed a fallacy.

Quote by Neo Evil11
In what way exactly? As far as I'm concerned they did a pretty good job in keeping your country safe for well over 100 years, with the notable exceptions of 9/11 and Pearl Harbour both of which they did not see coming. When did they ever controll the news?

I never said they controlled the news.
I said they have lied to the people numerous times.
Its kind of difficult to trust the word of someone that lies to you all the time.
Politician = Professional liar.
Quote by Dreadnought

^^
this smells fishy. the executive branch runs under a democratic president. does anyone really think this research will be remotely unbiased? i'm all for the government sponsoring research but in a way where they can't affect the results or of course have no desire to affect the results. here they write the results and have plenty of reasons to skew them.

the slippery slope fallacy is a fallacy because not all slopes are slippery. codemonk urged you to see the context here (the Feds) and see the possibility that this slope is in fact slippery.

(not that the media in itself isn't an essential component of the neo-liberal agenda and should be abolished along with private property)
i don't know why i feel so dry
Th feds are gonna take your guns, rape your women and give your jobs to illegal Muslim immigrants. #conspiracy. In the future we will say: if only we had stopped the research to how news was being handled.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by the bartender
As you should, which also proves that this specific slippery slope is indeed a fallacy.
No it doesn't. The statement was a fallacy but what you're quoting doesn't prove that, the nature of the statement simply meets the criteria.

And I don't think disagreement with this program is necessarily A could lead to B and B is bad, it is that A is bad. Too much power will always be abused, because should a mistake be made, everyone else is less powerful. And it is bound to happen because power is always used, it's a tool and many unscrupulous or unthinking people will use it because it is effective, not because it's the right way to get something done.

Also, anyone else care to comment on whether this qualifies as maybe having a chilling effect? I think that's the most rational legal case against this specific program.

Quote by Neo Evil11
When did they ever controll the news?
Oh right, of course.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Th feds are gonna take your guns, rape your women and give your jobs to illegal Muslim immigrants. #conspiracy. In the future we will say: if only we had stopped the research to how news was being handled.

#yuropeans
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by seanlang01
No it doesn't. The statement was a fallacy but what you're quoting doesn't prove that, the nature of the statement simply meets the criteria.

A slippery slope is only a fallacy if there is no evidence to back up the suggestion that B will follow A. The fact that there are laws that prevent B from following A is evidence for the opposite, which proves that the statement was a fallacy.

Quote by seanlang01
And I don't think disagreement with this program is necessarily A could lead to B and B is bad, it is that A is bad.

Ofcourse it is not, but CodeMonk's statement was.

Last edited by the bartender at Feb 21, 2014,
Like the us government doesnt control the media, seriously people.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Freedom of the press. Bottom line. they say their aim is to ensure that the american people are being given important information and to ensure entrepreneur's are able to be involved in the market.

B.S.- The public will decide by their viewership, and it has never been easier to break into that field with the internet such as podcasts, blogs, internet radio.

I am astounded by peoples lack of vision as to the whole picture and to ask the critical question of "why?". The reasons dont add up and I believe there is a larger agenda at play. They want to know why journalists choose to write on the subjects they do? They dont have to justify to anyone! Because they want to, thats why?

During WWII the Nazi party subsidized cheap radios for the german public. Goebbel called the radio " the eighth great power". He was quoted as saying that without it the Nazis would not have been able to take power the way they had. Modern media, such as the internet and television, is even more powerful in its ability to persuade.

Modern day academia has succeeded in eliminating ciritical thought from the youth, independent thinking. Moral relativism has destroyed any ideas of absolute truths and allowed successive generations to be lost in analyzing anything.
I'm not paranoid or a conspiracy theorist type, but this just seems a little strange. Why does the government suddenly feel the need to step in and gather this kind of data? What are they going to do with it exactly? I highly doubt that reducing bias in the media is high on their agenda of things to do. The whole two-party US government practically breeds bias in the media itself just because it is split in two.

Media is biased by nature and most people know and accept that, which is why people choose to watch different news stations or read different papers. I can't imagine they are really going to change the way FOX news reports very much, at least not without actually violating 1st amendment rights. That is just an example.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by pushingthrough

Modern day academia has succeeded in eliminating ciritical thought from the youth, independent thinking. Moral relativism has destroyed any ideas of absolute truths and allowed successive generations to be lost in analyzing anything.

wat

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
A frog put in boiling water will try to escape immediately. Put a frog in warm water and slowly raise the temperature and it will stay there until its death. Incremental fascism.

Hell the founding fathers started a revolution on matters comparatively smaller reasons. Amazing how blind most people are to what is staring them in the face.

Lots of similarities to the rise of the Nazi party. Gun control, information control, Homeland security buying millions upon millions of military grade ammunition. Americans are some of the worlds most armed citizens you know. Lots of prep work needed before things go downhill and they bring the hammer down.

Just keep playing the Xbox , watching reality shows on the 60" HD TV. What does the billboard say come and play, come and play forget about the movement. Dont agree politically with RATM but the line is poignant.

When the Roman empire was falling the politicians said give them cake and circuses. Distract them from what was going on. Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain.
Quote by RPGoof

Don't be ridiculous. They won't install the cameras. We will voluntarily install them for "security purposes." The NSA will just take advantage of the convenient fact that we've already done the work for them.
And if they think there is bias , then what? Tell you you cant say it or shut you down? Scary, Scary Scary. Who decides and by what measure?
Last edited by pushingthrough at Feb 21, 2014,
Page 1 of 3