So it seems I lost a nickel sized piece of finish off my fifth fret area under the high e

Rest of fingerboard looks great and I hate to just put strings back on it like it is now with that piece of finish missing and the wood exposed...

Any suggestions on if i should try and refinsih it? an how to best do that?

Was hoping maybe just cheat and fix that whole fifth fret and leave all else alone...

Any suggestions appreciated...
Got a picture man? What year is the strat? From around 2010 onwards they started using poly fretboard finishes so if you've worn through that I'd be really surprised. It usually comes up in chunks rather than wearing away gradually. Did you smack your guitar or did it start lifting off the neck?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Got a picture man? What year is the strat? From around 2010 onwards they started using poly fretboard finishes so if you've worn through that I'd be really surprised. It usually comes up in chunks rather than wearing away gradually. Did you smack your guitar or did it start lifting off the neck?

It's a 1993... And it's like it flaked off...
Quote by Ippon
Is it Rosewood or Maple? Post pics!

I think maple. took me about 10 pics this is the best i can do... where i traced out the pattern under the e string... best i could get

not sure when/how it happened.. might have hit a mic stand or 2...
Attachments:
neck 5th fret.jpg
Quote by Ippon
That pic is so blurry. Is it possible that the Urethane finish was just removed by something? If so, I'd sand it a bit and shoot polyurethane from a spray can.

yep and that was the best picture i could get... Ill get a better camera tonight and try again.... it does look like it just flaked off in that spot. didn't notice till i had the strings off and was really cleaning the guitar frets...

what kind of polyurethane in a spray can? Any brands good/ bad?

Thanks
If it doesn't affect the playability, I'd leave it alone. If the looks are just buggen you, you're gonna have to refinish the entire fretboard in order to get it to look like it did.

Plus it's a strat, they are designed to be abused and take damage and be perfectly fine. Gives it character.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If it doesn't affect the playability, I'd leave it alone. If the looks are just buggen you, you're gonna have to refinish the entire fretboard in order to get it to look like it did.

Plus it's a strat, they are designed to be abused and take damage and be perfectly fine. Gives it character.

Absolutely correct. It's my first strat. From 1993. Bought it new and got a sweet deal on it from mannys music...

I took great care of it so its a shame this happened to the fret it bugs the crap out of me..but your right it adds character and. Patina to it

I swapped in EMGs the day they were
Released and lost the middle single coil..

I really wanted to swap out the 6 screw tremolo
with an edge or edge pro and make it enjoyable to play the tremolo work stuff on it...

Sadly, I just use it like its a fixed bridge strat..
Quote by fastforded
Absolutely correct. It's my first strat. From 1993. Bought it new and got a sweet deal on it from mannys music...

I took great care of it so its a shame this happened to the fret it bugs the crap out of me..but your right it adds character and. Patina to it

I swapped in EMGs the day they were
Released and lost the middle single coil..

I really wanted to swap out the 6 screw tremolo
with an edge or edge pro and make it enjoyable to play the tremolo work stuff on it...

Sadly, I just use it like its a fixed bridge strat..

I hear ya man, my squier is my go to guitar, and when the trem screws gave out it's just a hard tail now, can't get any good bridges for it since it's import string spacing.

Now, if I damaged my tele(fender Custom HH spalted maple) I would go on a destruction rampage just because it's so nice.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I hear ya man, my squier is my go to guitar, and when the trem screws gave out it's just a hard tail now, can't get any good bridges for it since it's import string spacing.

Now, if I damaged my tele(fender Custom HH spalted maple) I would go on a destruction rampage just because it's so nice.

Yep totally agree...my les paul was just too much to lug around town and to practice.
I was scared it get beat up too. Custom with the honey lace sunburst I think its called.
It's a museum piece now.... Sad. I should let it breathe a little. Been locked up since I bought this strat.. Many years ago
Quote by fastforded
Yep totally agree...my les paul was just too much to lug around town and to practice.
I was scared it get beat up too. Custom with the honey lace sunburst I think its called.
It's a museum piece now.... Sad. I should let it breathe a little. Been locked up since I bought this strat.. Many years ago

Can't make myself lock up the tele even though it's too beautiful, needs to be played. Got it tuned for drop B and playen in my worship band with it every Sunday. But for band practice, it's the Squier, cause at practice I don't have control over who touches it, at church, I'll murder anyone who touches the tele.