Ive gotten a few books in the past - all wrong and worse than any free tabs on the web. some I've acquired through torrents have been ok.

main problem I find is nobody who's tabbing it is doing it for pros - I want stuff that isnt made to be easier. Something I can take, that probably ALSO has real sheet music included, and analyze using music theory to actually understand whats going on in the song, as well as a VERY accurate representation of the original artist's take - that way if I choose to improvise, I can have a thorough understanding of all chords and scales used, when and why something happens, and not have to entirely rely on my ear.

relying on my ear is what gets me down when learning 90% of songs. I dont mind doing it, but when theres something odd I cant detect by ear, and it happens a lot, I suck at solfege even though I can feel out intervals pretty well, but some stuff is just weird and doesnt naturally occur to my mind, I just give the f up and say I'll get to it later and never do.

I dont mind paying for tabs/sheet music. but im not looking for something made to teach a kid to play something, anything, in the same key as their favorite song. Hell, one ozzy tab book I have just has everything written in the wrong key/position, and also ditches the entire guitar part and just tabs out the vocal line for some reason. I only paid a couple bucks, but I believe it was worth absolutely nothing to anyone.

I understand the stuff on heres free, and done by amateurs like myself, and its a hard job, I know, but someones gotta be getting paid to do it. Theres tons of classical sheet available, and tons of people writing/tabbing it out, so theres gotta be the same for classic rock.

I know usually hal leonard is good, or most companies that also make schoolbooks. but wheres a good place to buy some music from? Id love to get some hendrix, cream, sabbath tab books, maybe some Van halen and stuff, but at this point im wary of spending money on stuff that may be outright wrong, and only a basic general outline of whats going on.

is the tab pro thing on here any good? dont mind paying, as long as it gets me what I actually want - an accurate representation I can then go on to modify and cover in a band setting after having a thorough understanding and proper interpretation of the piece I am attempting to play.

otherwise if my timings off, or my phrasing, a seemingly wrong note or chord could actually be the right one, and without having sheet to analyze, or any knowledge of what im working with is correct, its pretty daunting to figure out with my ear alone. It only comes with time if properly developed....
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
alright, for a quick example, check out any number of hear my train a-comin tabs out there. the CLOSEST one ive found online is an attempt at the version from people, hell and angels, and its still wrong as all hell, missing TONS of notes.

every version on this site is horridly incorrect, minus maybe the tab pro (which I distrust a bit...). Some say its mostly open strings but it sounds too dissonant and out of tune playing it that way, some are missing a ton of notes, or are just way wrong.

a quick glance at videos online of covers shows a lot of people playing it up around the 12th fret, which I can mimick pretty well, but bears no resemblance to any notation I have ever seen. I always played it as a standard blues song using a D chord shape and sliding up, then doing a bend in first position.

also, the closest version (one I originally learned from years ago) of purple haze on this site LITERALLY says HIT RANDOM NOTES. No good musician EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC did that. I know the solo note for note, and what it is is a pretty simple pentatonic (read, not random notes at all) solo that has a fuzz face as well as an octave fuzz on, so it *sounds* to the untrained ear as random, but its NOT AT ALL. I learned it by ear, and I can nail it along with the recording, only lacking the effects pedals, but it STILL sounds acceptable and passable for a real live cover situation.

as far as im aware at this point, there arent any accurate notations available for complicated rock music at all, for free or money, and if you cant learn it wholly by ear your never going to come close at all.

which is real frustrating because I know I have the skill to nail these tunes with practice. but I would need literally years of classical or jazz training, mostly consisting of OCD sessions at a piano memorizing intervals so I could notate whole songs by ear myself, which I lack the time and ability to do, and quite simply, theres got to be a better way.

with a basic outline of whats happening, a tab of some of the harder licks and a chord sheet I'd be better off. Honestly, there are some how to vids I found awhile ago that came with a book, that were literally, the only accurate representations of his songs in lesson form/notation that Ive ever seen in my life... and im not sure theres more out there, minus bits and pieces in magazines from throughout the years
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Feb 21, 2014,

Hey Spiroth10,

for a quick solution just go to torrentz dot eu and type in "184 Full Album Guitar Tab Books pdf" download it and sift through what ya want.

that being said, over the years I have noticed that even professionally written Tab books can more often than not be wrong, even Hal Leonard.

Classic point in case, Eruption - Van Halen

the examples given are from the start of the third section of the solo, just before the 2 handed tapping section. (I've only tabbed the essential errors in fear of running out of characters in this reply) when you play the second way, immediately you notice just how stupid the first version is.

Shame Hal Leonard... Shame!

First the so called "professional" version:
(Hal Leonard Book and even tabbed here at U-G)
 [/code] [/FONT]      
And here's what Eddie actually plays...
[code] [font="Courier New"]
     Lick .A
e-| |------------------------------------------------| |-
B-| |-----------6-p-0-------------8-p-0---------tr---| |-
G-| |--5-p-0----------9--7-p-0-----------11--9-(11)--| |-
D-| |--------8----------------10---------------------| |-
A-| |------------------------------------------------| |-
E-| |------------------------------------------------| |-
     Lick .B
e-| |------------------------------------------------| |-
B-| |------------------------------------------------| |- 
G-| |-----------5-p-0--------------7-p-0--------tr---| |-
D-| |--5-p-0----------9--7-p-0-----------11--9-(11)--| |-
A-| |--------7-----------------9---------------------| |-
E-| |------------------------------------------------| |-

Lick C.
    (Repeat Lick .A)
[/FONT] 

As for Pro Tab, yeah it's a great device, not only do the tabs highlight along with the midi but the program also throws in all the timing values so you can analyze the score visually also to really get to grips with any unsual / intricate timings of a particular track.

End result don't buy tabs for tricky songs unless the actual artist has helped out
(ie: Steve Vai - Passion & Warfare Album) without being able to open the book first
to verify that you agree with the notation.

Keep ya money,

Hope it helps!
Last edited by tonibet72 at Feb 22, 2014,
Thanks, I was beginning to figure as much. it just gets frustrating. I suppose learning through example by watching vids and trusting my ear really is the only option...

so from now on I'll figure out the chord progression and reverse engineer complex songs as best I can from there, if im wrong, its still likely to be better than a completely wrong tab with extreme dissonances that shouldnt be there.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
This is just in general; If you can clearly hear something is off, and you are sure of it - then you already have what it takes to work it out on your own. I agree with what you're saying here and perfect tabs just don't happen and tab books are often a waste, unless the artist himself wrote the song in tab - anyone else is never gonna make it spot on, just close.