Page 1 of 2
So im getting to a point where im not getting the sound i like and it frustrating me to the point where i dont if its me thats just not good enough at guitar or if i need some better gear.

The rig i have at the moment it a Stagg PRS going through a Boss ds1 into a Behinger gx212.

i love bands like the Foo Fighters and Nirvana is it time to get some new gear or should i stick with what ive got.
Quote by the_b1ues
So im getting to a point where im not getting the sound i like and it frustrating me to the point where i dont if its me thats just not good enough at guitar or if i need some better gear.

The rig i have at the moment it a Stagg PRS going through a Boss ds1 into a Behinger gx212.

i love bands like the Foo Fighters and Nirvana is it time to get some new gear or should i stick with what ive got.

umm... well with that gear I'd have to say gear. sounds like you've gotten past the beginner phase and are starting to realize that what you have isn't getting you what you want. now we all have times when it seems like our playing is in a rut but you have to stick it out and just try something different.
I cant decide what i want to buy, would love a bassman or a dual rectifier but i just cant afford that sort of money.
Quote by the_b1ues
I cant decide what i want to buy, would love a bassman or a dual rectifier but i just cant afford that sort of money.

Used Silverface Fender Bassmans and Bandmasters go for pretty good deals...

Edit- Heck, a lot of Silverface amps go cheap, actually. I love my Silverface Super Reverb.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Feb 21, 2014,
Better gear. If you don't like how it sounds, you're not going to want to practice.

Maybe an amp first. Not necessarily a super expensive tube amp or anything. Whatever you buy will probably sound better than the Behringer.
A lot of guys on this forum seem to like Peavy Vypers, decent modeling amps with a pretty good sound. If you like Foo and Nirvana, maybe a Vox would be good, but those can cost.

If you like how the guitar feels and plays, I would leave it alone. It's going to make the smallest changes in your tone.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by Dimarzio45
Used Silverface Fender Bassmans and Bandmasters go for pretty good deals...

Bingo. Good advice, here.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by the_b1ues

if it's a new DS-1 made after the 80's (when boss switched which op-amp was in the pedal, that's why new one's will never sound like Nirvana cause Kurt had an 80's model) ditch it and get a Pro-Co Rat 2, best dist pedal for that rhythm heavy chug that Foo Fighters and other post grunge bnads have, or try the Digitech Grunge pedal, some people like it some hate it, I'm kind of neutral, I haven't touched mine in years. New DS-1's are crap which is probably why boss sells them for $35 bucks. Or go with a Big Muff, I'd try the big muff and the rat and see which you like more. the rat is like 20 bucks more.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by the_b1ues

what can u afford to spend? I'm sure there are some fairly cheap tube amps that can be had (know you are in uk so not sure what is cheap there). same with guitars. look at the used market and see what is available. you can upgrade your gear without spending a fortune and then when you are in a better position move on to the more expensive stuff.
^ yeah. the only two options aren't beginner tat or a frigging dual rectifier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What's your max budget and what kind of sounds are you trying to achieve? That Fender and the Rectifier are very different sounding amps...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I like the foo fighters sound. At the moment i can only really afford £200
Last edited by the_b1ues at Feb 23, 2014,
Carrot to the rescue!!
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm
and
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

EDIT
If you can get £300 then get what i said.
If not a peavey viper i think.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Look for a used Laney VC30, Laney TT 60, Marshall JCM2000 DSL201/401.

Hell you can get a Jet City JCA2212 combo for €277 new from www.thomann.de

Actually that is what you should do, get the Jet City from Thomann

EDIT: Ninja'd
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
IM liking the look and sound of the jet city's,how,loud do the combos,go loud enough to play with drums?
Quote by the_b1ues
IM liking the look and sound of the jet city's,how,loud do the combos,go loud enough to play with drums?

Yeah, their cleans don't stay fender clean really loud, but it should work fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just bear in mind there are different models with the combos- the single channel 20 watt combo and the 2x12 50 watt combo are lower gain, while the two channel 20 watt combo and the 50 watt 1x12 are higher gain. I'm guessing you'd want the higher gain ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A big +1 to all of the Jet City suggestions.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
A friend of a friend has offered me a Epiphone Sg for £80 is it much of an improvement on what i have or should i save my money?
depends on which exact model it is. i'm guessing at that price it's the absolute cheapest one, but i could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Does it have a bolt-on neck or is it a set neck? If it is a bolt-on it is probably a SG Special or the G-310, if it is a set neck, then it is the G-400 series which are pretty nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by the_b1ues
What do people no about the fender frontman 212?

It is a big practice amp, the cleans are decent, but the gain is pretty bad.

Give us this:
budget?
location?
new or used?
home practice or gigging?

it will help us give you good suggestions/deals in your area
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by the_b1ues
What do people no about the fender frontman 212?

That's the key word right there.

I second what rob said
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Been through all this in this thread before but,

There's no music shops in my area its a case of picking up what i find in 2nd hand shops/ebay/ gumtree. Just saw the frontman in a 2nd hand shop.

I cant afford both a new guitar and an amp so its one or the other at the moment. So around £300 for guitar.

will be used at home and small pub gigs.

Musica grunge, Nirvana,foo fighters.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Mar 16, 2014,
some good deals on fretkings currently in the UK as they seem to be winding down the blue label series (made in korea but nice guitars, with japanese-made gotoh and wilkinson by gotoh hardware* ). You can get one new on ebay from a shop for around the £300 mark currently. They have various models, strat-alikes (also superstrats), tele-alikes and LP-alikes and a sort of firebird-ish type one (both the LPs and FB-types have humbuckers or p90s). They're hard to beat new for that kind of money and with that range of pickup types and guitar styles odds are you can get something which'd do what you want.

* The newer Blue Labels don't seem to have the japanese gotoh hardware. I haven't tried them and don't know how different they are. But the ones which have the japanese gotoh hardware (at least as far as i'm aware) are the super 60, super 60SP and super 60 HB (the strat/superstrat ones), the super S and super T (the tele-type ones), the eclat (LP-style) and the esprit (FB-ish ones).

it's also worth pointing out that it's sometimes quite difficult to differentiate between the blue and black labels. I haven't tried the black labels, they may well be fine, but they're designed to be cheaper/lower quality, as far as I'm aware. Since they're newer they often actually go for more money.

It's hard to advise what to go for used, since you never know what deals you might come across... but new you're going to struggle to beat those fretkings for £300.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ive seen a couple of Mexican teles going for around £300 sowould think there better for same price.
Quote by the_b1ues
Ive seen a couple of Mexican teles going for around £300 sowould think there better for same price.

I, er, don't think so? Based on the ones I've tried, anyway. If you're talking about the classic series, then i'd say it's 6 to 1, half a dozen to the other. But I'd say the MIM standards are worse than the fretkings. Or at least, they need a bunch of upgrades at least whereas the fretkings don't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you need a clean sound to play with a drummer, the 20watt jet city might not work for you. You can dial in a decent clean at lower volumes but they lack the headroom to keep it clean at higher volumes. The 50W will probably have enough to get a decently loud clean.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Just bear in mind there are different models with the combos- the single channel 20 watt combo and the 2x12 50 watt combo are lower gain, while the two channel 20 watt combo and the 50 watt 1x12 are higher gain. I'm guessing you'd want the higher gain ones.

Would the frontman be better than my Behinger? If not the Jet city then what would you recommend.
Just had a look at fret-Kings got good reviews but cant find any 2nd hand ones.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Mar 18, 2014,
I'd sit tight at this point, and keep packing away money.

Whatever you get with what you have now will probably be getting turned over in a few months anyway.

I usually figure that working with a drummer requires at least 30W of tube power (and 50W is even more comfortable). I usually look for something that will provide good cleans and then fill in the "personality" with pedals.

Unless you're going to be locking yourself into a single genre of music, I'd stay away from a single-purposed amp, particularly where gain is concerned.
Quote by the_b1ues
Would the frontman be better than my Behinger? If not the Jet city then what would you recommend.
Just had a look at fret-Kings got good reviews but cant find any 2nd hand ones.

If you can't get up to the jet city I'd be tempted to do what dspellman says and sit tight and try to save more. Though I have no experience with the behringer and next to none with the frontman, so bear that in mind.

It depends on what you want, too, and personal preference. dspellman says he wouldn't get a one-trick pony for overdrive-orientated amp, but personally I'd rather have that than have to rely on pedals for dirt (and you can use pedals with overdrive-orientated amps, too). But it just depends on what you want and like, really, both ways are valid.

If you can get up to £300 you can get fretkings new (more like new old stock, so quite how good condition they'll be in is possibly slightly up in the air) on ebay from guitar shops. So there'd be no real need to go second-hand in that case (though if you're willing to you may get them even cheaper). that's if you're willing to use ebay- you suggested you were earlier in the thread, but if you're not that's absolutely your prerogative. I'm always slightly iffy on ebay myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you can't get up to the jet city I'd be tempted to do what dspellman says and sit tight and try to save more. Though I have no experience with the behringer and next to none with the frontman, so bear that in mind.

It depends on what you want, too, and personal preference. dspellman says he wouldn't get a one-trick pony for overdrive-orientated amp, but personally I'd rather have that than have to rely on pedals for dirt (and you can use pedals with overdrive-orientated amps, too). But it just depends on what you want and like, really, both ways are valid.

If you can get up to £300 you can get fretkings new (more like new old stock, so quite how good condition they'll be in is possibly slightly up in the air) on ebay from guitar shops. So there'd be no real need to go second-hand in that case (though if you're willing to you may get them even cheaper). that's if you're willing to use ebay- you suggested you were earlier in the thread, but if you're not that's absolutely your prerogative. I'm always slightly iffy on ebay myself.

i would buy directly from ebay i look foe local guitars and id go have a loo rather than blind buying.

I think my ideal setup would be ether
Fender Tele,Jaguar or an Gibson dg335
Amp Fender Bassman or an Orange amp. This is basses on the bands i listened to. But this is a bit u realistic with a mortgage and bills to pay so in really looking for 2nd best thing if that's the right words to use.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Mar 18, 2014,
ah right i see what you mean. yeah if you want to check them out first then they need to be local, even on ebay. good point.

do you have any decent shops nearby? even if they don't have the exact model you're looking at, trying some of the "classic" guitar models so you start to realise how they sound and what you like would let you narrow down your options. Same goes for amps. And a fair few of those grunge guys used specific dirt/fuzz pedals too, so if you can find any of those to try as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2