Yo! First of all, I've searched around and found no one who seems to have the same problem as I do, and I don't even know if this is the right forum to post on, lol. Here we go!

I own a Bugera 6262 Infinium since a year and a half back and it has been great! I bought it second hand, and the previous owner had it for almost a year also.

Now to the problem, today when I decided to play some riffs on my guitar, I plugged the amp into the wall, let the tubes warm up, as usual, and after about 1 minute, I flicked the standby-switch.

I hear a weird noise, ("sckrreeek", distorted, sort of, and then nothing). I look at the back of my amp, and all the lights for each tube are going crazy! Flashing on and off. (If a light is on, it means the tubes are going bad, (the infinium system)). I shut the amp off, and then switched it on again, the lights has stopped. Great, the amp probably just readjusted the bias or something.

But now, the power-light ain't glowing, in fact, no lights at all on the amp is glowing, and I thought it got no power at all, but the tubes were still working, however I started to smell something burnt while sniffing over the tubes. What the hell happened? Did I blow a fuse?

Btw, I can hear a constant, very low humming from my speaker-cabinet, but that's all the sound it makes, no riffs want to come out!

I'd appreciate some help here, I don't want to play on my small practice amp more than I need!
Since I bought it for just 150 bucks, is it worth fixing? I've began to look at a Randall Diavlo RD100 instead...
Unless you are good with PCB's I would not bother fixing it (unless you really like the amp). It will likely cost more than the amp is worth to fix.

You might give Bugera a email and see if they will fix or replace it, the infinium series has been out for 3yrs and they give a 3 yr warranty with a new one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the answer, I agree somewhat. But if you know what's wrong with it it would be great if you could tell me what, or at least if you suspect what could be wrong.

Well I will probably get someone to open it and take a look on it, since know a few techies. At least then I will know if something is burnt in there.

Seems a little waste to just throw it in the garbage room, when I don't know what's the problem.
Open dumpster, insert amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Open dumpster, insert yourself.
I just got up, I'm not going back to bed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ippon
What about the fuses? Pretty cheap.

Fuses + power tubes.

Power tubes should be changed every 2 years for modern tubes and normal usage. They do wear.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Fuses + power tubes.

Power tubes should be changed every 2 years for modern tubes and normal usage. They do wear.

Yeah, thought about fuses already, didn't know that about the power tubes tho, it's my first amp.

So if the power tubes are bad, but not broken completely the amp can actually still power the tubes without powering anything else? (6L6 tubes).
Last edited by ZH666 at Feb 21, 2014,
Quote by R45VT

Not really, it depends on the amount of use the amp sees. I have had power tubes in amps for years that still work just fine.

But it is a good guide of when to have some maintenance preformed on the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Welcome to UG

Yeah, we are somewhat familiar with the Infinium.

I would PM DustinPlumb here. He is a exec type at Bugera. He said for people to notify him if they have questions.

Quote by R45VT
Fuses + power tubes.

+1
I would def replace the power tubes and pick a preamp tube or two while you are at. Contact Bob at Eurotubes and ask for a matched quad of JJ 6L6s (or EL34s preferable if your amp will do those).
www.eurotubes.com

Fuses are super cheap and you need some of those on hand anywhere. It seems though that if the amp is on and somewhat working that its fuses are still good right? But for all I know it has 6 fuses in it.

Quote by Cathbard

LOL
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not really, it depends on the amount of use the amp sees. I have had power tubes in amps for years that still work just fine.

But it is a good guide of when to have some maintenance preformed on the amp.

How do you say not really and then say the same thing?

Back to TS- there are multiple fuses in amps. Typically it's the power tubes that kill fuses, depending on how they fail and how the amp is wired depends which fuse blows.

Occasionally power tubes will wipe other components when they die. That's why it's better to replace the tube before it fails. Nothing like a $24 tube causing $150 damage.

Replace the power tubes and any fuses that are blown and see what happens. If it is still screwed find a local Bugera service center or call them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by R45VT
How do you say not really and then say the same thing?

Back to TS- there are multiple fuses in amps. Typically it's the power tubes that kill fuses, depending on how they fail and how the amp is wired depends which fuse blows.

Occasionally power tubes will wipe other components when they die. That's why it's better to replace the tube before it fails. Nothing like a $24 tube causing $150 damage.

Replace the power tubes and any fuses that are blown and see what happens. If it is still screwed find a local Bugera service center or call them.

What I ment was tubes don't just last for 2 yrs and then suddenly go bad. But every 2 yrs it is not a bad idea to have the amp itself serviced (jacks cleaned, tube sockets cleaned)

I guess I could have worded it better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the answers! Appreciate it!
I'll take a look at the power tubes and fuses, I'll probably check with a multimeter too afterwards and if I don't get it to work I'll probably buy another amp for my hard earned money instead.

I'll contact DustinPlumb also.

Edit*

Hold on a moment, I think I have got some things wrong. You guys said earlier that there may be a problem with the power tubes, but as I understand, by looking at https://www.eurotubes.com or any other site for that matter. The power tubes are the ones called EL34, 6L6 etc etc.

But it's the 6L6's that seems to work as normal..

I thought you guys were talking about the ones in the front of my amp, 12AX7A, etc. I have six of those, each going by different name. (I know they are called preamp tubes now). There can be nothing wrong with those?

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/bugera-6262-infinium-597400.jpg
Last edited by ZH666 at Feb 22, 2014,
You would do us all a favor by taking it to a reputable amplifier repairman and let us know what he found.
Quote by ZH666
Thanks for the answers! Appreciate it!
I'll take a look at the power tubes and fuses, I'll probably check with a multimeter too afterwards and if I don't get it to work I'll probably buy another amp for my hard earned money instead.

I'll contact DustinPlumb also.

Edit*

Hold on a moment, I think I have got some things wrong. You guys said earlier that there may be a problem with the power tubes, but as I understand, by looking at https://www.eurotubes.com or any other site for that matter. The power tubes are the ones called EL34, 6L6 etc etc.

But it's the 6L6's that seems to work as normal..

I thought you guys were talking about the ones in the front of my amp, 12AX7A, etc. I have six of those, each going by different name. (I know they are called preamp tubes now). There can be nothing wrong with those?

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/bugera-6262-infinium-597400.jpg

How do you know they are working? It is true you can have a preamp tube take a shit as well. Just curious how you are basing a "good" tube? Are you looking at the heaters?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Tangle001
You would do us all a favor by taking it to a reputable amplifier repairman and let us know what he found.

+1

That is probably best.

TS do no open the chassis and mess around. Lethal voltages bro.

I'd buy a new quad of tubes and then take to a tech if that doesn't do it. Yeah JJ 6L6 is what you want. just matched.

not oiled balanced tested twice high gain gold pin low noise best ever.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 23, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

TS do no open the chassis and mess around. Lethal voltages bro.

I'd by a new quad and then take to a tech if that doesn't do it. Yeah JJ 6L6 is what you want. just matched.

Not even open the chassis and replace the fuses?

Once again, taken from Eurotubes:
" If your 5150 blows one of the conveniently located internal fuses on the PC board then pull the chassis out of the box and replace the fuse, usually all will be well. These amps like to blow these fuses just to screw with you..."

Isn't the Bugera 6262 based on the Peavy 5150?

Quote by R45VT
How do you know they are working? It is true you can have a preamp tube take a shit as well. Just curious how you are basing a "good" tube? Are you looking at the heaters?

Well.. I don't know for sure, but I read this on the site that was recommended here in the thread.

"Yes! If they are not glowing they are not working! The plate structure should never glow orange or have any spots on it that are orange. The heater or filament which runs up the center of the tube is the only part of the tube that should glow orange.

A blue glow that pulses under load is normal. A strong purple glow that shows up when a tube is not under load at idle means the tube is "gassy" usually due to cathode stripping and is on it’s way out."

And everything seems to be in order, going by what he said.

Oh and also, I'm sorry to say that I probably wont hand it to someone for repairs, since I'd rather spend the money on a new amp instead.
Last edited by ZH666 at Feb 23, 2014,
^ I'm not sure what to tell you. That doesn't seem to have much to do with anything. What was said there is correct I'm just not sure why you posted it.

Now back to your situation. I got confused by this:
Quote by ZH666

But now, the power-light ain't glowing, in fact, no lights at all on the amp is glowing, and I thought it got no power at all, but the tubes were still working, however I started to smell something burnt while

I'm still confused. Does the amp power on or not? I thought you were referring to the 'infinium' lights (which are worthless BTW). If something had a definite burning smell to it I'd just take it to a tech.

Bob at Eurotubes is great and he ships product fast but he is no amp tech. His statement about this fuses proves it. Do NOT pull the chassis to do anything. You are not qualified to do this.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 23, 2014,
No offense to you ZH666 but the Infinium technology sucks. It does jack shit and probably does more harm than good. The amp may not even be worth fixing. It could be close to $200.

If you are dead set on trying to fix this yourself then find a friend who is an EE and then read my blog about biasing amps. It will give you safety tips to give to your EE friend. Buy some extra tubes and fuses as stated but be prepared for something to go wrong again (burning smell comment).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm still confused. Does the amp power on or not?

How can you be confused? The power tubes do power up, they glow nice and bright, but no other lights is working, for example the "power led", "standby led", the led's which show what channel i'm on (clean/lead) and so on.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No offense to you ZH666 but the Infinium technology sucks. It does jack shit and probably does more harm than good. The amp may not even be worth fixing. It could be close to $200.

If you are dead set on trying to fix this yourself then find a friend who is an EE and then read my blog about biasing amps. It will give you safety tips to give to your EE friend. Buy some extra tubes and fuses as stated but be prepared for something to go wrong again (burning smell comment).

No offence taken, I've read quite a lot about it and everyone seems to have the same opinions, "it's great, when it works".
If it was an easy fix I would have tried it before throwing it away, and yes I do agree with you that it's not worth fixing, I'll go ahead and buy a new amp instead.

Hint* I've already opened the chassis, and all the fuses were okay.

Thanks for the answers, I've gotten the answers I need, and I think this thread can be closed.
So what's your plan?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well shit... Sounds like the main switch works, just not the standby.

What part of the world do you live in? Just curious. I sometimes buy broken amps to fix and sell.

Not sure if I would want to touch a Bugera... No offense but I imagine parts and schematics aren't easy to come by.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Well shit... Sounds like the main switch works, just not the standby.

What part of the world do you live in? Just curious. I sometimes buy broken amps to fix and sell.

Not sure if I would want to touch a Bugera... No offense but I imagine parts and schematics aren't easy to come by.

I live in Sweden.

Quote by Arby911
So what's your plan?

http://www.thomann.de/se/randall_diavlo_100_head.htm

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nice to see a Bugera thread end on a nice note.

I wanna try one of those Diavlos.

I have heard good things about them.

Bummer the Bugera took a dive but sounds like TS is going to get a better amp ! I expect a NAD when you get it ZH666
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Hello guys!
Sorry for the sick bump of this thread, but I decided to try and wake up this amp from it's long sleep.

So far I found two broken fuses inside, and one burnt transformer clip.
I have desoldered the clip and wires and soldered the wires directly to the PCB.
Buying new fuses tomorrow and then I'll try to start it up!

Burnt transformer clip.

Removed the clip and soldered directly to the PCB.
Wait, isn't that the same plastic clip that caused fires on very old pre-infinium Bugera's? Infinium ones should not have that!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Make sure to have some known good tubes on hand, you don't want to blow it up again
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by MaaZeus
Wait, isn't that the same plastic clip that caused fires on very old pre-infinium Bugera's? Infinium ones should not have that!

Could be, however my amp burned the "other" transformer clip. If you read BeerChurchs blog you can see that he burnt the clip where the fuses go:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/BeerChurch/blog/58789/

You can see that his clip and my clip is not the same, my clips are still molex tho, just a different type.

EDIT*

New fuses installed. Proceeded with the first startup, The powerled shines bright orange, a good sign since it didn't do that before.
The tubes seems to warm up correctly also, and when I flick the standby switch, sick riffs flows through the speaker-cabinet!

It's ALIVE!

Quick recording, yes, it's recorded with an headset mic...
https://soundcloud.com/zombiehorror666/finallyawake
Last edited by ZH666 at Feb 26, 2017,