My sister plays in a worship band and she would really like to modify her guitar by fitting electric guitar strap buttons to her classical. She wants to do it because she hates having to use a piece of shoelace wrapped around the headstock since it makes the guitar unbalanced.

Is this considered a no-no on a classical? I have a good idea on where the strap buttons need to be, but I'm not sure if I could potentially damage the guitar structurally by doing this. I'm putting one button square in the center of the bottom of the guitar, and the other is going in at an angle at the neck heel, like this.

Is this considered sacrilege on a classical?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 21, 2014,
Turns out she has changed her mind and she's chosen to go with one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/planet-waves-nylon-classical-strap

She's changed her mind because she's scared that putting 2 tiny little holes in the guitar will "completely ruin the sound of it."
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Turns out she has changed her mind and she's chosen to go with one of these.....[ ].....
She's changed her mind because she's scared that putting 2 tiny little holes in the guitar will "completely ruin the sound of it."
I would think the weight of the guitar hanging off that monstrosity by the sound hole, could conceivably affect the sound even more.

Another approach is to put a button on the bottom only, and tie the other end of the strap under the strings past the top nut. Most straps come with a shoelace type cord, for that very purpose.

Fender uses what impresses me as the best solution to the top body button, by gluing a reinforcement block inside the upper bout, and screwing into that.

All of the neck heel is potentially end grain. Call it superstition,(*), or whatever, but I think the gluing block is the better solution.

(*) Or "tripe", that's what you call my posts, isn't it?

This topic was discussed in some depth recently, with a good link: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633437
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 22, 2014,
Actually, all kinds of "Latin" musicians use that type of strap. One advantage is that you can quickly shift from instrument to instrument, as a lot of these guys play not only guitar but related instruments like the requinto and others.

However.... You must needs maintain control of the guitar.... You can't go hands-free.
Quote by Bikewer
Actually, all kinds of "Latin" musicians use that type of strap. One advantage is that you can quickly shift from instrument to instrument, as a lot of these guys play not only guitar but related instruments like the requinto and others.
And I'm sure in the din of a Mariachi band, you wouldn't hear any difference in sound even if they were so disposed to drill and put strap buttons.

Sort of like, "Puede usted oir quanto mucho Differencia, porque un de Los Gipsy Reyes, ha destruido el sonido de su la guitarra, por afijando botons y usando una strapa"? (Some of the foregoing may actually be decent Espanol. But, there are no warranties, expressed or implied)..

Quote by Bikewer
However.... You must needs maintain control of the guitar.... You can't go hands-free.
Really. Go read some reviews of strap lock systems at your favorite giant online music retailer. Tales of woe and heartache, I tell you. (Of course, they could be shills, I suppose).

In any case, I saw Carlos Montoya in concert many decades ago, and he just sat there, "strapless", and played the snot out of his guitar. "Let 'er rip", so to speak.

In any case, in an ideal world, a musician who was forced to play standing up, would let the guitar factory, "ruin the sound for them", and buy a guitar already designed and equipped for live performance...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I would think the weight of the guitar hanging off that monstrosity by the sound hole, could conceivably affect the sound even more.

I know. I tried to reason with her why putting the entire weight of the guitar in an area as fragile as the sound hole is a terrible idea, not to mention the position the guitar would be in relative to her body not being very conducive to playing with a strap design like that, but she refused to listen. She said that she'd rather have that strap because that's what a lot of people with classical guitars tend to use.

But whatever. If she ends up taking out a chunk of wood off the top of the guitar at the sound hole, then the only thing she can blame is herself.

I know that sounds dickish, but upon kindly offering her the alternative of using actual strap buttons, she threatened me to pay to get the holes re-filled if she happens to not like it for whatever reason, even if the job I do is perfectly adequate. With an attitude like that, I'll just let her make her own mistakes.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 24, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
...[ ]....But whatever. If she ends up taking out a chunk of wood off the top of the guitar at the sound hole, then the only thing she can blame is herself.

I know that sounds dickish, but upon kindly offering her the alternative of using actual strap buttons, she threatened me to pay to get the holes re-filled if she happens to not like it for whatever reason, even if the job I do is perfectly adequate. With an attitude like that, I'll just let her make her own mistakes.
Actually it doesn't sound "dickish" to me. It sounds like a very normal response, by a person articulating their frustration about someone who, "doesn't know they don't know", but swears up and down they do, while making your life difficult in the process...

Oh well, it's likely for the better. Based on your description of her terms, I wouldn't suggest touching that guitar with somebody else's ten foot pole, let alone offer a warranty....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 24, 2014,