Page 1 of 2
February 21st is celebrated as "Language Movement Day" in Bangladesh and has been recognized internationally since 1999 as "International Mother Language Day".
Thought you may find this interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_Language_Movement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mother_Language_Day

Quote by Wiki
The Bengali Language Movement, also known as the Language Movement (Bengali: ভাষা আন্দোলন; Bhasha Andolon), was a political movement in former East Bengal (today Bangladesh) advocating the recognition of the Bengali language as an official language of the then-Dominion of Pakistan in order to allow its use in government affairs, the continuation of its use as a medium of education, its use in media, currency and stamps, and to maintain its writing in the Bengali script.

When the Dominion of Pakistan was formed by the partition of India in 1947, it was composed of various ethnic and linguistic groups, with the geographically non-contiguous East Bengal province (that was renamed in 1956 as East Pakistan) having a mainly Bengali population. In 1948, the Government of the Dominion of Pakistan ordained Urdu as the sole national language, sparking extensive protests among the Bengali-speaking majority of East Bengal. Facing rising sectarian tensions and mass discontent with the new law, the government outlawed public meetings and rallies. The students of the University of Dhaka and other political activists defied the law and organised a protest on 21 February 1952. The movement reached its climax when police killed student demonstrators on that day. The deaths provoked widespread civil unrest led by the Awami Muslim League, later renamed the Awami League. After years of conflict, the central government relented and granted official status to the Bengali language in 1956. In 1999, UNESCO declared 21 February as International Mother Language Day, in tribute to the Language Movement and the ethno-linguistic rights of people around the world.

Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

gong hay fat choy

do it
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by DeaThrash
Funny thing is that Bangla (Bengali) is my mother language, so yay me.

me too! kyu ekhane bangla bole na, khali ek jun Kolkata'r theke
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

That's cool. And I mean that as that's cool not as a sarcastic that's cool.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by vintage x metal
me too! kyu ekhane bangla bole na, khali ek jun Kolkata'r theke

Whoa, didn't expect that!
Ami ekhono amar maer ar babar barite thaki to bangla khata bola hoi. Amar janomo Sweden e ar amara Sweden ei bash kori
LXZhv sZCjn IUDVn kdsanf FOJASfda lksfjds fjsdf sfasjfnakjsdnfKnvdoiuNDS JKNCLKJZXnclHZxvoiuanbsdlkjvBZLKXjbvLKZJbvLKJZnxclkjNZxhjcbDVBlkjaDVHasbvKJZXHbvkjHXZbvkjZXnckjNSAhdvkjdsavKJZXncNZvckhBZx jcXZhjcnZkjxcbZXhbc ZXcjsjsjsj
Quote by DeaThrash
Ami ekhono amar maer ar babar barite thaki to bangla khata bola hoi. Amar janomo Sweden e ar amara Sweden ei bash kori

is sweden how you say buttsex in your language?

Quote by MinterMan22
is sweden how you say buttsex in your language?

Självklart, hur visste du det?
Quote by Jackal58
That's cool. And I mean that as that's cool not as a sarcastic that's cool.

Thanks for the clarification

Quote by DeaThrash

Nice! amar ma baba Washington, DC e thake - ami ekla thaki. amar janomo America te chilo - amra dui-jon e beedesi haha

I have some Bengali family friends who lived in Sweden for quite a while! Actually one of them just married an old friend from Sweden who ended up moving to the DC area afterward. I'm married now (not legally, but we had the nikah) to a white guy and it's funny bringing him to house parties with my family and stuff; all the aunties have a crush on him because he looks kind of like a 70's era Bollywood star with his mustache/tan skin.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

Nice! amar ma baba Washington, DC e thake - ami ekla thaki. amar janomo America te chilo - amra dui-jon e beedesi haha

I have some Bengali family friends who lived in Sweden for quite a while! Actually one of them just married an old friend from Sweden who ended up moving to the DC area afterward. I'm married now (not legally, but we had the nikah) to a white guy and it's funny bringing him to house parties with my family and stuff; all the aunties have a crush on him because he looks kind of like a 70's era Bollywood star with his mustache/tan skin.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Men vad fan är det här då?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Ik haat jullie allemaal.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by vintage x metal

Cool =)
Amar kicho attio sojon ekhane bash kore. Amar poribar Bharat e Kolkatar baire thake (ekti Malda town bole).

Oh really? Do you happen to know where in Sweden they live? Chances are someone in my family might know them.
Haha, congratulations on your nikah, and to your friend. It's always fun to see my culture existing elsewhere.
No body appreciates the mother language of computing.

Binary get no love
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Ge mig uppmärksamhet
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by DeaThrash
Hur vill du ha den fakturerad?

Autogiro. Vilken är din bank?
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan
Autogiro. Vilken är din bank?

Det kör vi på. Lustigt nog är Swedbank min bank
Quote by DeaThrash
Det kör vi på. Lustigt nog är Swedbank min bank

Hahaha, typiskt. Blivit några semlor än då?
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan
Hahaha, typiskt. Blivit några semlor än då?

Semlor? Vad i helvete? XD
Sup i suppose I should say something in Tamil but I can't speak it much less type it out without saying something stupid. I can understand it fully though woo. Been trying to learn it properly for ages but it's so difficult because of this (ignoring the characters and all)

English: the cat is wearing a red shirt
Official Google translate Tamil: punai oru civappu cattai anintu
What everyone I know says: pune ura cevpu chatta pothintuthu

English: I like eating tomatoes a lot
Official: Nan mikavum takkali cappita pitikattu
Normal: Naa takkali capadu romba pudikum

so basically learning 2 languages at the same time. Apparently the grammar is horrendously complicated too, both of my parents failed all their Tamil exams in school even though they grew up in India lol
cat
Quote by DeaThrash
Semlor? Vad i helvete? XD

Det är/var ju semmeldagen runt nu.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
guitarxo: Google Translate hardly makes any "official" translations...

----------

Blir man ikke bann'a om man skriver på fremmedspråk her uten å oversette sånn at amerikanerne kan forstå hva vi skriver?

Og hvorfor i helvete er det så mange svensker her?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
avgå alla.

kom igen Charlotte Kalla!
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by AtaBorMan
Det är/var ju semmeldagen runt nu.

Var det? Har fan ingen koll. Tentor har en tendens av att hypnotisera en, tyvärr.
Quote by sfaune92
guitarxo: Google Translate hardly makes any "official" translations...

----------

Blir man ikke bann'a om man skriver på fremmedspråk her uten å oversette sånn at amerikanerne kan forstå hva vi skriver?

Og hvorfor i helvete er det så mange svensker her?
Regner med at det er fordi Gropen er fylt med lettere tilbakestående mennesker.
(Ikke at noen av svenskene er blant dem så vidt jeg vet. >__> )

Teknisk sett har man bannlysningsgrunnlag for å skrive fremmedmål for engelskmennene, men moderatorene her er jo ikke så strenge.

Edit: That felt fucking weird. Can English be my mother language, please?
Last edited by lncognito at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by sfaune92
guitarxo: Google Translate hardly makes any "official" translations

Actually what I copied up there from Google Translate is 100% correct, but it's the form that's taught in schools/used in print media/on the news etc, hence "official" Tamil. The one I copied below is considered less correct but that's my family speaks so that's all I know. There are also many variations based on combinations of caste and region and social class soooo I really only have a very basic understanding of people outside my family are talking about :/ Then there's also literary Tamil which is sort of the equivalent of Latin and I have absolutely no hope of ever understanding it before I learn everything else lol
cat
Quote by lncognito
Edit: That felt fucking weird. Can English be my mother language, please?

Know dat feel bro. Det er nesten 3 år siden jeg har hatt bruk for bokmål; no skriv æ ferr det mæste på dialækt... eller på engelsk (og bittelitt på tysk -- for det meste youtube kommentarer )

For min del er bokmål egentlig vanskeligere enn engelsk... kanskje derfor jeg fikk 3 på hovedmåleksamen (men jeg presterte å få en femmer på sidemål... ),3

Quote by guitarxo
Actually what I copied up there from Google Translate is 100% correct, but it's the form that's taught in schools/used in print media/on the news etc, hence "official" Tamil.

Google translate usually outputs lingual garbage when I try using it...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Feb 22, 2014,
Quote by DeaThrash
Var det? Har fan ingen koll. Tentor har en tendens av att hypnotisera en, tyvärr.

Ah. Tycker annars varenda jävel tjötat om semlor den senaste månaden. Vad pluggar du då?

Quote by lncognito
Regner med at det er fordi Gropen er fylt med lettere tilbakestående mennesker.
(Ikke at noen av svenskene er blant dem så vidt jeg vet. >__> )

Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan
Ah. Tycker annars varenda jävel tjötat om semlor den senaste månaden. Vad pluggar du då?

Happ. Tycker jag borde hört något då jag faktiskt bor i Stockholm.
Jag pluggar till Försäljningsingenjör i Solna, vad gör du då?
中国大师赛
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by DeaThrash
Happ. Tycker jag borde hört något då jag faktiskt bor i Stockholm.
Jag pluggar till Försäljningsingenjör i Solna, vad gör du då?

Haha, men ni stockholmare pratar ju aldrig med varandra. Jobabr i en butik i Göteborg.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Quote by AtaBorMan
Haha, men ni stockholmare pratar ju aldrig med varandra. Jobabr i en butik i Göteborg.

Det är å andra sidan helt sant. Vi gör hellre fel än att integrera med någon annan, det är typ normen här borta. Kanske därför förklarar varför alla mina vänner bor utanför Stockholm.
Ah, nice. Hur är livet i Götet då?
Page 1 of 2