Any advice? A little more than what I wanted to spend, but hopefully it'll be the cornerstone of my amp barn. I personally dug the sounds from it, and it made me not want to buy the Royal Atlantic. And, for $200 more, its a lot more amp than the RA. Not that the RA was bad or anything, theres just more in the Mark V.

ANYWAYS, I'm going to finally pull the trigger on buying a Mark V. Is there anything to look out for? Any general tips for the amp? I know Mesa has some "instant gratification" settings, but I was wondering if there was anything else. (Sorry, kind of pumped. Expect a NAD! )
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Be sure to read the User Manual thoroughly, a few times. There is a ton of information in there that will help out tremendously. Also, take each channel one at a time, and find the tones you like in each channel - don't overwhelm yourself by looking at all the knobs and switches - its really a simple layout x3! Thanks, and Enjoy!
Last edited by MESA/Boogie at Feb 24, 2014,
Yea, I agree. The layout isn't too bad once you get used to all the features. Things like the post EQ can be switched off as well. To me, if you're playing metal with this amp, an overdrive is really useful. I find the amp a little loose, even on the tightest settings. You may like it the way it is however. I'm more of a Marshall, Bogner, Soldano fanboy.

Enjoy it. Sounds like you got a great deal on it!
Well I did end up buying it, but not so great of a deal at Long and Mcquade. Considering there is no market anywhere near where I live, and I had to drive 5 and a half hours to buy it, its still worth it. And my not so great deal on it was $2499 before taxes...
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Well I did end up buying it, but not so great of a deal at Long and Mcquade. Considering there is no market anywhere near where I live, and I had to drive 5 and a half hours to buy it, its still worth it. And my not so great deal on it was $2499 before taxes...

Congrats!

Pics or it's an ENGL.
Quote by AWACS

I hear ya we really get screwed over, especially when you are far away. I can't find a Peavey JSX anywhere and Long & Mcquade doesn't even carry Peavey. Thought I could order a used one through guitar center but shipping and customs is just crazy.

Hope you enjoy your amp though it is just money afterall.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by Ippon
RA100 is 1300 new. A Mark V is 2200, ~1500 used.

I paid 1800 for mine , still worth it...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by AWACS

New or used? I know you are in Canada. I paid around that for my combo.

Fantastic amp. I really wouldn't mind owning one again. I channels 1&2 surprised the shit out of me. Who needs amp simulators with a mark V.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
New or used? I know you are in Canada. I paid around that for my combo.

Fantastic amp. I really wouldn't mind owning one again. I channels 1&2 surprised the shit out of me. Who needs amp simulators with a mark V.

I heard quite a bit of flak about channel 2 from a lot of people online, maybe becuse they were purely metal heads? I don't know, but I love channel 2. Instantly makes me think Opeth.

And it was the head. I'm sure the footswitch is $150 by itself. My dinky little Engl 2 button switch was like $150 or $175 o.O

And also:

Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Lame teaser shot...

I wanted the amp for channel 3 and actually like channels 1&2 more. Just a huge variety in tone available, all very unique.

Channel 3 was pretty picky but you can get some damn fine sounds out of it. You just have to coax it a little more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Petrucci says most of his tone is from channel 3, not that I'm Petrucci's fan, just saying.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Quote by Perverockstar69
Petrucci says most of his tone is from channel 3, not that I'm Petrucci's fan, just saying.

You can totally nail it too. My only gripe with channel 3 is that there isn't any chug. When compared to channel 2 it actually sounds thin. I had to make sure not to play channel 3 right after playing on channel 2.

That amp will make you smile.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Ola makes every amp to sound as he wants xD that doesn't count...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Feb 25, 2014,
Quote by MESA/Boogie
I don't know.....Ola makes channel 3 sound pretty Bada$$! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxPKrt5i-M

I never said it sucked. It just didn't hit you in the stomach like a 5150 when you did some digging on the low string. That's not saying it sounds bad, just different. It has its own sound characteristics that other amps can't touch. Channel 3 can give you an eargasim without a doubt.

Even the owners manual mentions the channel 2 to 3 switch and your ears needing to adjust. It also mentions the bass flub if you turn it to high.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
There is no downside to a Mesa amplifier. Get what you want and enjoy the living shit out of it for many years to come!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
to the guys sayng it's a thin sound. Do you play 6 string?

7 string accentuates less highs and if you play solo it doesn't matter anyway in the end.

Does it sound thin when playing with a bass player is what matters.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

7 string accentuates less highs and if you play solo it doesn't matter anyway in the end.

For ****s sake.... Thin compared to Chanel 2 if you switch directly to channel 3. It's not like its a thin sounding amp. If you switch between channel 2 and play on 3 it may sound a bit thin for a few minutes until you ears adjust.

The amp sits well in the mix- there is no question about that. It's not really thin- but after playing channel 2 which has a lot more bass you might perceive it as thin.

Don't read anymore into that statement. It isn't a matter of guitar tuning or number of strings.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by xxdarrenxx

A seven string accentuates the same highs that a six does, it has added lower frequencies though (we could get into a discussion of guitar amps lack of ability to produce fundamentals of the low B but I won't go there). Regardless of what you put through it, the Mark series does have an inherent lack of ass-end, my Mark III was the same way. Not at all a bad thing, it makes the amp great for leads, which is why I love the sound.

I definitely agree with your point about playing with a group though, low-end doesn't really matter when you have a bass player.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by AWACS
I heard quite a bit of flak about channel 2 from a lot of people online, maybe becuse they were purely metal heads? I don't know, but I love channel 2. Instantly makes me think Opeth.

And it was the head. I'm sure the footswitch is $150 by itself. My dinky little Engl 2 button switch was like $150 or $175 o.O

I play metal and Channel 2 is my favorite channel on that amp!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh I forgot to say HNAD TS

Mark Vs are cool. If I had to list my favorite tones the Mark series would be in the top 5.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Congratulations, that's a monster of an amp. I own a Lonestar Special combo and it brings a smile to my face everytime I plug in. I overheard someone demoing the Mark V at my local Long and McQuade the other day and I was really impressed with the clean tone, given that it's reputation is more centered on the dirty tones. Great amp.