I recently bought a Lace Huntington (Strat-like) guitar on eBay. The guitar arrived today and overall is in good condition and plays well - not bad for its price. However, the inside of the box it came in, as well as the gig bag, reek of cigarette smoke. The guitar itself also lightly has the smell, and after playing it for a few minutes, my hand somewhat had the smell too. I'm concerned now about getting nicotine stains on my hands from playing this guitar, and I don't like the smell either. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sanitize and de-odor a guitar?
Last edited by CalicoSkies at Feb 21, 2014,
You might be able to get the smell out of the bag by washing it with hot water and vinegar and then drying it outside in the sun. As for the guitar, disassemble the bridge, clean it with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush, and then reassemble it. Clean the neck and body with a non-toxic cleaning spray like method, and wipe the fretboard and frets down with Gorgomyte. Remove the pickguard (don’t disconnect the ground wire) and wipe down the cavity and inside of the pickguard with rubbing alcohol. Then put the whole thing back together.
Last edited by jpnyc at Feb 21, 2014,
I would have the urge to wash the bag with detergent, then lysol it and air it out for a few days. Probably take some light abrasive cleaner wax to the body and get some of that gunk off the top of the clear coat. I do that to take out scratches all the time and it makes the guitar smell like strawberries when I'm done.
I was reading the first post and just waiting to see the source of the odor be cat pee.

/has cats
"You're an individual and so are all of these guitars – it's really difficult for somebody else to tell you what's going to be right for you." - Revenge of the Naked Ape
I had an acoustic guitar that was like that. The only real thing you can do is let it air out for a few months, it'll eventually go away, but there always be the slight smell of smoke.

Otherwise you could get a guitar cleaning system like dunlop has and give that a go.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I had an acoustic guitar that was like that. The only real thing you can do is let it air out for a few months, it'll eventually go away, but there always be the slight smell of smoke.

It’s much easier to get the odor out of a cheap solid body because most of the guitar is sealed with a poly finish. Acoustic guitars have a lot of exposed wood inside.